Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I love the P99 design but I also love
45ACP. There's the SW99 in 45ACP but I'd rather have a Walther. Am I just dreaming or might this happen some day?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Keep dreaming!

There's no demand for a .45 ACP in Europe, where Walther sales are best. I would highly suspect that they'd come out with a .45 GAP before a .45 ACP. Then again, they already have the tooling set up for a .45 ACP, because they supply S&W with the frame for their SW99 in .45, so it would just be a few changes to add the Walther banner and other touches.

Who knows, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
28 Posts
get a walther.the sw just isn't the same.I've heard people say they are pretty much the same and they are not,get a 9 or a 40 whatever you like,I wish there was a 45 also, but when I saw smith and walther getting together and what they came up with I decided not to wait and got a walther.If they put out a walther p-99 that was a 45 cal and looked exactly like the others I would be on it, but not the sw, my opinion is that it is not up to the quality level of walthers and I hope smith doesn't destroy what we have now and stay separate.I would like to have gotten my p-99 marked only walther but it also has smith & wesson on the other side.get the walther and after having it you will NOT regret it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nuts... this is exactly what I was hoping to NOT hear.

Then I guess I won't be waiting for a Walther 45ACP. Since the SW is a no-go, I guess all that's left to decided is 2003 or 2004, 9mm or .40, right? Piece of cake!

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is a pity you feel that way.  I own SW99 in 9mm as well as a couple of Walthers.  I am happy with the quality, performance and reliability of the pistol.  I heard all the negative statements regarding S&W’s quality, and after more than 2K bullets down the barrel I can say that none of them is true in my case.  After all, the design is Walther's, the frame is Walther’s and the only real difference is the looks of the slide.  The fact that the slide and barrel are stainless steel and the finish is Melonite, does not make it inferior.  Read a review of the 45 model at
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_49/ai_103381594

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think you need to consider the source. On a Walther forum, you can expect pro-Walther responses. While there is some emperical data showing the Walther providing better accuracy, as I recall it was minimal. Well smaller than my group size anyway

Get lots of info from shooters of both handguns. I'd imagine that you'd be happy with either as they are quite similar.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I have a P99 in 9mm and a SW99 in .45ACP.

I concur that the Walther has an overall higher level of fit and finish as well as intrinsic accuracy.

But I also think the SW99 in .45ACP isn't a bad piece. I picked up a NIB one at my local dealer who was having their annual S&W days event for $500 even and have been relatively happy with it.

I did have an issue that the slide would lock back with 3 rounds still remaining in the magazine. Wouldn't do it all the time and it would change from magazine to magazine, but after it went back to S&W (twice), I believe it's been cured.

It's also a bit longer in height and a bit flatter feeling in the hand than the P99, but otherwise not a bad piece.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an SW99 45ACP and have found it to be satisfactory and reliable. The only problem to date has been the magazine springs. There was not a feeding problem but after the last round fired the slide would not stay locked open. S&W sent me new springs at no cost.

·
Registered
229 Posts
FYI:
I e-mailed Walther a year and a half ago (or so) and asked them if they had ANY plans of offering the P99 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. The answer was "no".

Just personal opinion, but I would be interested in a P99 chambered in .45 GAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts