Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just recently found these forums and thought I would ask a question. I had someone tell me that Walther was intending to add a .357 Sig to the P99 lineup. Has any one else heard this? Thanks, Ross

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (zoyter2 @ Mar. 28 2005,8:56)]
wish they would. most people who want it and own the .40 just buy the aftermarket barrel. i would not do this due to the difference in muzzle energy and i think it voids the warranty

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ April 16 2005,12:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i would not do this due to the difference in muzzle energy
I don't follow. Isn't the difference in muzzle energy the reason to go .357 Sig in the first place?
yes. however i would want at least a stronger return spring to absorb the additional energy and not slam the daylights out of my pistol's frame and slide

·
Registered
539 Posts
AFAIK a .357 Sig is essentially a .40 SW necked down to accept a 9 mm bullet. So a .40 P99 shouldnt' have any trouble with it. Please feel free to correct if I made a wrong assumption here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Alex,

I suggest that you go here  

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/

and get info on the .357 SIG.

Quote from that site:

"[Let’s look at a .40 and 357 Sig loading of somewhat equivalent ft-lbs of energy

Federal .357 Sig JHP 125 grains - 1,352 fps velocity, 507 ft-lbs. energy, 169 power factor (momentum)
Winchester .40 S&W Silvertip 155 grains - 1,205 fps velocity, 500 ft-lbs. energy, 187 power factor (momentum)

Well, if you look at the power factor of the two above loads in 357sig and .40, the .40 round is much harsher to shoot than the 357 Sig round, assuming the .40 and .357sig rounds are launching from pistols of similar size and weight.]"

Elsewhere on his site he indicates that the .357 SIG is comparable to the +P+ 9mm.   I believe the P99 is rated for that with the 9mm spring.  The .40 is much more brutal than the .357 SIG in higher loads (see quote above) and it has a stronger spring than the 9mm version.

I can attest to that--I have two .40 P99 pistols and Bar-Sto 9mm and .357 SIG barrels.

Nocturnal is 100% correct.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cigarman @ April 16 2005,7:56)]
a dont want to cause a flamefest as this is a great and peaceful board. but i was basing my posts on a typical 40 cal load and not the silvertip load which is way higher than standard. in otherwords comparing a standard load to a standard load. the standard load"s energy for 40 cal is around 400 whereas standard of 357 sig is over 500. im sure pete is a top expert but the silvertip is a red herring in his comparison argument

·
Registered
158 Posts
Flamefest?  That is a strange response to a diffrence in views.  Facts are facts--if you read them and want to flame, that is your prerogative.  You spoke of abuse to the frame.  He chose similar sized bullet weights  and the ballistics are what he quoted--that is what is important not whether they are common or equivalent loads. The P99 is designed for .40 and the 357 SIG is a comparable caliber in terms of stresses.  

If you look at Winchester 125 gr 357 Sig you get 506 and the .40 is 468--close in my book in two common weights for these calibers.

Have you ever fired a .40 and 357 SGI from the same pistol?  I have the P99 and a Keltec P-11 both in .40 and 335 SIG.  The .40 has much more push, the 357 SIG is a bit sharper.

All that said, we can agree to disagree....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts