Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all. Been a fan of the p99 for a long while now, so naturally I found this board and began trawling the info. Anyway, while I've still got some time left before I can legally purchase a handgun, I figure I'll get as much info about my top choices so I make the best decision possible when the time comes for me to buy one.

My main question, which I can't seem to find a substantial amount of info concerning, is this: How tough is the p99?

I stumbled across this link recently, in which a guy does horrible, terribly abusive acts to his old Glock... and the Glock takes it all in stride. While I seriously doubt I'll ever be in a position where I'm abusing my firearm even half as much as this guy, I think it's good to know just what my gun can take, especially as I plan to use it as a carry arm after I get CCL. The p99 still has my eye, and I'd love to know what she can handle.

So, from personal experience, how much heaping abuse has your p99 taken without complaint?

I thank you all ahead of time for any responses, and even moreso for the active members of the forum for providing so much info for random guys like myself. :D God bless

·
Registered
225 Posts
There's a link on this site or the Walther site that shows a P99 showing how tough it is. I went looking for it but couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure there is video of the P99 shooting out of a block of ice.

Regarding toughness, I would rank the P99 as being a very tough gun and wouldn't be too concerned. As a civillian shooter I don't think you would put the gun in situations that toughness has to be a concern. I'm guessing that the P99 is tough enough for LE use and probably all military use. There might be some military applications that might be a problem, but those Navy Seals are tough on equipment and the enemy. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you take good proper care of it, it will take good care of you. If you haven't seen the Walther P99 video, you should because they go through many tests in there to prove the durability of the Walther P99.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Two of mine have shot in salt water just fine. I cleaned them right after though with a hot shower, and break cleaner, then liberal lube.

Honestly the design and construction of Walther HK Sig Glock all stand up to lots abuse. People have done the same tests that glock had on HKs and SIGs with equal of better sucess.

I have however taken a glock out in the ocean in one bag that collected sand, while body surfing. The gun wouldn't fire and I had to hammer off the slide with a rubber malot. A SIG 228 jamed in the same bag, but other bags didn't do that. (Army radio bag looks like a small backpack)

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
There's a link on this site or the Walther site that shows a P99 showing how tough it is. I went looking for it but couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure there is video of the P99 shooting out of a block of ice.

Regarding toughness, I would rank the P99 as being a very tough gun and wouldn't be too concerned. As a civillian shooter I don't think you would put the gun in situations that toughness has to be a concern. I'm guessing that the P99 is tough enough for LE use and probably all military use. There might be some military applications that might be a problem, but those Navy Seals are tough on equipment and the enemy. :)
I'm curious about your Navy SEAL comment. I did a lot of searching to try and find US combat units that were using the P99 and didn't find anything about SEAL teams (or anyone else) using them. Just the SIG 226 and the H&K USP Tactical. Can you point me in the direction where this info is stated? Or is it just individual SEAL personnel using them?

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There might be some military applications that might be a problem, but those Navy Seals are tough on equipment and the enemy
Dep,
I don't think Pitt meant to say that the Seals use the P99. Because as far as I know they DO NOT. I think he merley meant to say that Seals can be tough on equipment. While the P99 is a tough gun and can stand up to abuse, it was not specifically designed for military usage but rather for LEOs. So unless you are surfing and swimming with sharks :eek: I think the P99 will do just fine....:D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The SEALs and other Special Ops groups have "black budgets" which allow them to procure whatever they want in test quantities to see what they like. They don't officially use the Steyr AUG rifle, either; but to my knowledge they have tried it out.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Dep,
I don't think Pitt meant to say that the Seals use the P99. Because as far as I know they DO NOT. I think he merley meant to say that Seals can be tough on equipment. While the P99 is a tough gun and can stand up to abuse, it was not specifically designed for military usage but rather for LEOs. So unless you are surfing and swimming with sharks :eek: I think the P99 will do just fine....:D
Thanks Jake. Actually, I was hoping they DID use it!! :D It would be interesting to see their feedback on it's durability and reliability. I suspect it would get a thumbs up on both counts. I also suspect they would use the S&W .45ACP version instead of the Walther. They seem to favor that caliber for pistols most of the time.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
85 Posts
abuse on P99

The contest: "who'll perform the most stupid trick on a weapon" is still open.

Good weapons, like P99, were meant to stand thru serious abuse and bad handling, but are not indestructible.

Having said that, I personally saw a P99 which got a bullet stuck in the barrel, and then the next was shot thru.

This usually destroys the barrel, as I have watched it in several other guns, like colt .45, S&W 38 revolver and Browning HP.
I also have witnessed the same accident in 3 differents Glocks 17 and, even the shooters were not injured, the guns are not shooting anymore.

Well, this P99 got stuck open, but a local gunsmith liberated it with a rubber mallet and then all he has to do was to polish the expanded area of the barrel so it keeps going thru the slide.

Of course the barrel now shows the internal expansion from the blow up (about 1mm long and 1/4 mm deep), but it still shoots to the same point of aim as before.

How I know that?
Because the gun is mine and I was the fool who almost destroyed this nice weapon. Above all my sadness, I am happy that happened with a Walther P-99 and not with any other weapon.

Is the gun safe now?
I don't know what a Walther engineer would say, but I don't have any problem to shoot it or carry for personal protection.

And a personal and friendly advise to the young friend who started the thread: as any older poster in this forum will tell you, the issue with guns is seldom "which is the most ___" whatever feature you choose to fill in the blanks.

In fact, in weapons and in life, the question we have to answer is most frequently. "is this good enough?" if it is, I'll make up for the rest.

In my country we use to say, "you have to plow your land with the oxes you have".

And believe, a Walther P99 is much too good a gun for me, and for most people.

regards.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've fired my P99 for about 500 rounds without cleaning it. Thats realistically probably the most extreme abuse my gun would ever get and then that still seems very improbable that it would need to go that long. Its fun to look at who has done what crazy things to their guns but be realistic too. If you're gun isn't going to be eaten by a bear, frozen in silty water, baked at 350F for 2 hours in a loaf of banana bread, danced on by a herd of fat ballerinas, and worked on by a drunken baby...don't worry about that stuff. If you love how a glock feels and shoots, go for it. If you pass up a gun that feels better in your hand or shoots better for you to get one that went through some test you won't ever need to worry about, you're making a bad purchasing decision, at least to me.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Soybomb is on the right track here.

There is a vast difference between theatrical stunts performed for video clips and advertisements to impress the public with irrelevant information, and disciplined, methodical testing. Some years ago Glock produced a very slick film 10-15 minutes long chock full of all sorts of Mission Impossible feats that was shown to two thousand-odd people at a Shot Show banquet. It was wonderfully entertaining and wowed the audience (it provided a topic of conversation at the show for at least two days), but it proved nothing.

On the other hand, the test regimen employed by the U.S. (and other) ordnance services is formulated to subject a firearm to a series of rigidly controlled tests that will demonstrate its suitability under conditions likely to be encountered in military service. These include accuracy and endurance firing, functional reliability (including cold and hot weather, rain, sand, dust and mud), interchangability of parts, and maintainability. (Dropping out of a helicopter or firing out of a block of ice is NOT in the program.) If there are weaknesses in the design, these tests will reveal it. A gun that successfully endures these tests can be assumed to be more than adequate for civilian use-- though the reverse is not necessarily true.

I don't know if either the Glock or the P99 has ever been subjected to military testing of this kind.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
MGMike: If I remember right, Glock was disqualified from the US testing before they even got started because of no manual safety. It WOULD be interesting to see the Walther go through the torture test, though. But I ain't volunteering mine!!! :eek: :D

Check this commentary:

"Then, we flash forward to the M 9. The M 9 is a triumph of the technical over the tactical compared to the 1911. The Beretta is easy to shoot well. It kicks but little and is usually accurate. But Jeff Cooper wrote he would rather have a hatchet than a 9mm at intimate range. Even when loaded with expanding ammunition, which the military cannot use, the 9mm has not proven to give consistent, reliable results. The instances in my files that include full metal jacketed 9mm loads are particularly dismal. I have one case in my files in which a female victim took eight rounds before succumbing to a ninth shot through the eye socket. I have a 9mm pucker in my leg and a ragged scar on my face left by an individual who absorbed three 9mm soft point rounds. Adequate for battle? Hardly. (The 9mm man will always say, ‘You used the wrong load. Why, the FILL IN THE BLANK will get the job done.’ They never seem willing to admit the caliber was the problem.)"

http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_ArmyPistol.htm

Note: This article was written in 2005. There have been some major cartidge developments since that time that have drastically improved the performance of the 9MM round.

Dep

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Regards "Torture Testing":

As VERY STUPID kids my friends and I once took a break top Spainish .45 revolver deep into a swimming pool and fired it with black powder rounds - underwater. !!!THAT WAS A VERY BRAINLESS THING TO DO!!!

Sadly, the barrel was at a slight upward angle when fired and the lead bullet managed to come out of the water and hit the tiles on the side of the pool. The tiles were cracked. :eek:

Despite the Spainsh .45 passing that rigerous and completely STUPID torture test I wouldnt care to pack it for self defence

Shot placement and a certain level of penetration constitute "stopping power". There are no "magic bullets".

A well made gun like the Walther P99 should be treated with respect, kept properly cleaned and feed clean, fresh ammo. That way when needed it will function as it was intended, and will last for generations.

Lecture over! ..... till the next rant ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm curious about your Navy SEAL comment. I did a lot of searching to try and find US combat units that were using the P99 and didn't find anything about SEAL teams (or anyone else) using them. Just the SIG 226 and the H&K USP Tactical. Can you point me in the direction where this info is stated? Or is it just individual SEAL personnel using them?

Dep
As mentioned below, I was referring to the Seals being tough on whatever they use, much less guns. I did not mean to imply they use them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts