Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most have described the cant of a holster by the face of a clock(I'm guessing because after a number the phrase "o'clock" is inputed) does this method of description entail the muzzle as the clocks hand, the butt as the hand, or the....beaver tail as the clocks hand? Iv been assuming the muzzle but have ran across a few posts on various forums stating "3 o'clock" as the the cant set for their IWB holster. If my assumptions are correct then how do you comfortably conceal a firearm with the length of the slide pressed to your side/back/abs behind a belt? Please enlighten me. I'm looking for a first IWB holster and wish to know how to describe what I need to the holster maker when placing an order. Also if anyone has any suggestions on what cant and position to conceal on a 5'9" 145lbs frame please help. The ONLY way I've found(I know not of all the posibilities and options to conceal) decent to actualy conceal where its really hidden is at 7-8 o'clock(if my clock describing assumptions are correct....muzzle being the clocks hand) does 7-8 o'clock sounds inadequate?

yeah, and the 7-8 o'clock cant is positioned between the back and the strongside hip.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Batman, I think you are confusing two different things.

In conversations where the clock is mentioned they are not referring to the angle or cant of the holster, but where it is located on the belt. 12 o'clock is your belt buckle. 3 o'clock is your right hip, 6 o'clock is the small of your back, etc.

So when I say, "I wear my gun at 3:30 - 4 o'clock" then I am telling you it is on my belt just behind my hip on the right side.

When discussing cant or angle of the holster, there are 3-4 basic options. Zero or vertical cant. This is a holster where the muzzle is running straight up and down in relation to your torso. Then there is the so called FBI cant(the most popular and easiest to conceal). In this cant the muzzle is angled towards the rear anywhere from 11-15 degrees. Then there is the cross draw or appendix cant where the muzzle is angled towards the front.

The vertical cant is worn exactly on the hip. The standard FBI cant is worn behind the hip on your gun hand side, and the cross draw is worn either forward of you hip on the strong side (appendix) or on your hip on the weak side (crossdraw).

There is a fourth option called small of back which is worn in the center of the back and has a 90 degree cant. That is the barrel is parralel to the belt. And you surmised this fourth position is hard to draw from and very uncomfortable.

If you are looking for an IWB holster 95% of what is offered will be some form of the FBI cant. There are a few that offer the appendix cant, but they are somewhat specialized and made mostly for snubbie revolvers.

Don't know which maker you are going with, but all he should need to know is the gun you wish to carry, whether you are right or left handed, and that you want IWB. The amount of the FBI cant is usually predetermined by the maker as he knows which angle works best with his holster design.

The final fitting is then done by you. You move the holster back and forth along your belt until you find the spot that conceals well, and gives you sufficient comfort.

In my case, that is a Milt Sparks Summer Special II, with the standard FBI cant noted above, arranged on my belt so that the rear sight is about even with the side seam on my jeans. This setup has allowed me to carry a full size 1911 under a light t-shirt without being noticed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, what can i say, youve cleared everything up for me in one swell swoop....i think thats the expression. very thorough, precise, and well described. Im considering the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Major problem is the quoted delivery time which is 20-26 weeks....thats like half a year for a holster:eek:

But again, thanks! im sure your info will help out many that is searching for it

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
wow, what can i say, youve cleared everything up for me in one swell swoop....i think thats the expression. very thorough, precise, and well described. Im considering the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Major problem is the quoted delivery time which is 20-26 weeks....thats like half a year for a holster:eek:

But again, thanks! im sure your info will help out many that is searching for it
I have three VM-2s with one more on the way. They are well worth the wait.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts