Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All factory P 99 mags. are made by Mec-Gar.  They are stamped with the Walter logo on one side and the Mec-Gar logo on the other.  Walter has never produced their own magazines for the P 99.  

I have new pre-ban factory magazines for $70 plus shipping.  
9 mm-16 round capacity / .40 S&W-12 round capacity.  
Quantity discounts for 5 or more can be negotiated.  
Money order, Pay Pal or COD is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hi, could you please tell me your name and where you are located?

Thanks!
James

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the email the guy sent me. Some people just know how to be an ass eh? All I did was ask if COD was ok, not how much information I put in my profile nor anything else. The ass still didnt answer my question. Yeah he's going to get a lot of business.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Email Generated by Ikonboard

Roro,

This email has been sent from Walther-hicaps via Ikonboard.

(http://www.gothammarketing.com/ikon/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi)

-------------------------------------------------

If C O D is no good, then please tell me what is better? From the lack of info in your profile, it would seem that your a little paranoid anyway.

so... would anything be good enough?

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Regarding his email, he may not be the nicest individual but his orginal post at the top of the thread did say:

"Money order, Pay Pal or C.O.D. is acceptable"

Maybe he thought you wanted something safer than C.O.D.  

-The thing I'd be more concerned about is the fact that the guy claims to have factory hi-caps in .40 S&W but doesn't know their capacity is 12, not 13. HMMM-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe Im the ass. I didnt see that in his original post, I swear it wasnt there. Then again... I have selective reading.

Back to the issue.

So if these DONT have LEO marks, how legal are they? I'd imagine he already has them in the states.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Roro, that's a long debate that has been addressed multiple times on the board. The last thread on it (Hi cap mags?) was 4 pages long and growing. It's among the most recent threads commented on.

Basically, a large number of people fall into the camp of if it's not marked LEO, it's cool. Others think the mags are of dubious legality, especially those in .40 S&W. Read the thread and draw your own conclusions.

Good luck-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BreakerMorant,Thanks for noticing my mistake on the .40 capacity. You were correct it is 12. They have been in storage for many years and Walther is the least of my hicap business. It was unintentional and I have now corrected it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Could you explain to me how the standard capacity (12 round) .40 caliber magazines are legal in the U.S.A.?

·
Registered
69 Posts
After talking with a Walther rep who was visiting our local police equip store, I can shed a little light on this hi-cap mess.
First of all, Martini 13 is correct. IF it a .40, there were NO pre-ban mags made at all by anyone. If the guy says that if they are MecGar pre-bans, he's pulling your leg.
There are numerous mfg of mags out there in the world that produced unmarked post-ban 12rd mags for military contracts and non-USA markets. It is entirely possible that these were brought over privately. (Kinda like a grey-market car). MecGar would fit in this catagory. Say a private citizen in Germany bought a load of MecGars and shipped them over in his luggage, they would be unmarked and legal. (legal meaning IF he used them for his own use.)
If this citizen resold these mags, they would still be legal IF he was selling in very small numbers. A high number of resells would make him an importer and subject to Brady or require him to mark his mags LEO. (The Walther rep was unsure on the exact import numbers)
The Walther rep said that non-US Walthers do not have LEO markings on their high-caps and that MecGar does this for the US market only.
This entire senerio could also hold true for any weapon mag, anywhere, and we all know you can but almost anything on the net! A friend of mine just picked up some new Beretta high-caps that are Asian military surplus with zero markings.
So, getting back to where we started, it is possible the guy has hi-caps for sale. It is not possible that they are pre-ban.

(I wish I would have gotten the Walther rep's card to share with you, but all I remember is the name "Dennis")

"Clear as mud"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Almost forgot to ask, does anyone know when the .40 P-99 hit the US market? 1998?? (My particular one is "KK" 1999)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[Federal Register: July 29, 1996 (Volume 61, Number 146)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Page 39320-39322]

[[Page 39320]]

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
27 CFR Part 178

Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices
18 U.S.C. 921(a)(31).

"the statute places the burden of proof on the Government and provides that the lack of a serial number is a presumption that the device is excepted. 18 U.S.C.
922(w)(4)."

You can read the entire text at:
http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/27CFR.txt

That's how!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where did you get your high-caps at? I saw from the pic that they are 1st generation mag tubes and no longer in production. Can you get some new ones from wherever you got those?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, I think Mr. Hicap has answered this for us.

"the statute places the burden of proof on the Government and provides that the lack of a serial number is a presumption that the device is excepted. 18 U.S.C.
922(w)(4)."

It's all in the word EXCEPTED.

Meaning the picture you had for the hi-caps you are selling had a serial number on them. Thus the Government CAN prove that these are ILLEGAL magazines, because of the serial number. Also, since we all know that the .40 caliber P99 didn't come out until 1998, the government can use this against you. Now, this doesn't mean that the government will come after us individuals. They will go after the "big fish". The importers who were supposed to sign the agreement that the magazines that they import into the company will be marked "For LEO use only". I don't see how any one can win this arguement, especially when S&W (Walther's importer) and Earl's Repair Service (another Walther Importer) both say that the .40 caliber magazines are ILLEGAL.

Although the risk of buying these magazines is probably minimal, I do not wish to bring on a potential government investigation on me. So I will patiently wait until September 14th and then buy the standard capacity magazines. And I'll probably get them at a more reasonable price too!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P 88, if you can see the numbers you should be able to see the word patent before the numbers. There is a difference between patent numbers and serial numbers. In case you don't understand this difference, patent numbers are the same on every piece, serial numbers are individualized on every piece and would be separate from the patent numbers!

You can be politically correct if you like, I prefer to be right, especially when it comes to unconstitutional laws!!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm not politically correct. And I don't like this law any more than you do, but I will not put myself in jeapordy either. I'll continue to write to my Representatives and the President to let them know my opinion of this law. So until this law sunsets, I will not buy these mags.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts