Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used a "proper" grip -- my weak hand thumb overlaps my strong thumb in a Weaver stance. It's not pretty , but it worked. Recently I've been taking a USPSA class that reall emphasizes an isoceles stance and a proper grip with both thumbs on the frame aiming forward. There's a good picture of the grip in this thread from the Steyr Club: http://www.steyrclub.com/modules....ic&t=12

Here's the problem: when I grip my P99 this way, the gun "flys away" on every shot --- the weak thumb just can't find a spot to get a really good purchase on the frame and help control the recoil. It works fine with all my other guns -- but not with the Walther. I also find that the palm of my weak hand interferes with my trigger finger a bit...something else that doesn't happen with any of my other guns.

I love my Walther -- but I have to admit that the isoceles stance and grip are easier, particularly if you have to move and shoot (I guess there's a reason that so many of the world champions use it!) I just don't like the idea of having to hold and shoot my Walther differently than all of my other guns.

Has anybody else run across this kind of problem? Thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Shoot your P99 the same way you shoot your other auto pistols. Far too much is made of Weaver versus Isoceles. If one works for you, use it.

World champions??? IPSC. IDPA, USPSA and like minded contests are games, nothing more. If you want to compete in those contests, you may find it advantageous to use that style, but those people are not built like you, do not have your level of expertise, training, or personal preferences. Use what works for you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Weaver feels most natural to me and I shoot better with it. I do it with both left and right hand as you never know when this might come in handy. Of course I shoot single handed as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jim,

As someone who shoots modified Weaver I hope I can be of some help. My thumbs never felt comfortable in any "proper" grip I've ever seen demonstrated, so I made a sort of "hybrid" grip to get around the problem. It is 99% like the photos you linked, but I took the "strong hand thumb high" approach from when I was trained with the 1911 and simply incorporate it...even though the Walther doesn't have the external safety.

Please excuse the quality of this pic, as it's a cheap webcam shot just to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

The other difference is that I strongly bend the support thumb to line up on the frame with no danger of being pinched by the slide. The tip of the thumbnail should be pointed at the target.

With this grip I can make headshots at 100 yards with the .40 P99 (though not in tight groups.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
My vision is 20/10, but with the big blue man-shaped targets it's not all that tough. The other day I was shooting from + or - 100 yards and when I walked up, the head had 2 perfect eyes....it was actually pretty funny.

That's with my QA trigger. With Morris's AS I'm slightly better in SA mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts