Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a P990 9x19 for 325 dollars, gun is atleast 99%, one scratch from holster wear, 500 rounds of winchester wincleans shot through it (according to previous owners log), 2x10 rd mags

I test fired 100 rounds through it, no failure

Gun shot great.

but one quick question....what is the p990, and did I pay a good price?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also bought a p22 NIB the next day, the P22 is wonderful i put 550 rounds through it within a matter of 2 hours, no failure...very accurate, even with the 3" barrel installed.

The p22 is black on black, 2x10rd mags NIB
320 dollars

·
Registered
821 Posts
I also love my P22. It has had it quirks with ammo; it doesn't like the federal bulk stuff from wally world, but loves MiniMags, hardly a failure with those.

Nonetheless, it's great fun and cheap to shoot. I think I've actually become a better shooter because of it! I keep it clean, and after reading a lot about it on other boards on the internet, I use a minimal amount of oil on it (RemOil). Little enough so that I can watch it evaporate on the slide rails for example, and I'm good to go!

-stunks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone here know about the walther p22 laser? it looks neat, I had a crappy laser on my vertec that could be aligned for windage not elevation..

does the p22 light offer both of the alignment features?
and also is 90 dollars too much for it new?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a p22 with the laser 90$ is good I spent 100. The laser is fully adjustable. Traded it in for a p99c qa several months ago. Its a great target gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ May 24 2005,12:49)]I also love my P22.  It has had it quirks with ammo; it doesn't like the federal bulk stuff from wally world, but loves MiniMags, hardly a failure with those.

Nonetheless, it's great fun and cheap to shoot.  I think I've actually become a better shooter because of it!  I keep it clean, and after reading a lot about it on other boards on the internet, I use a minimal amount of oil on it (RemOil).  Little enough so that I can watch it evaporate on the slide rails for example, and I'm good to go!

-stunks
Good point haha

The first few rounds I put through the p22 were horrible, the shop over lubed and i had lube all over my protective eye wear..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Ah, that very reason is why I thoroughly cleaned it before I shot it!

I read that the cosmoline grease applied at the factory is notorious for catching the grit from the dirty .22 LR round.

Since the slide is made from zinc, a softer than steel metal, the combination of cosmoline and .22 grit makes a good abrasive compound for wearing away at the slide grooves.

Using minimal oil means less probability of grit sticking in that particular area, thus increasing the useful life of my P22.

I'll stop now, I know this is the P99 board!

-stunks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ May 24 2005,10:24)]...

Since the slide is made from zinc, a softer than steel metal, the combination of cosmoline and .22 grit makes a good abrasive compound for wearing away at the slide grooves.

-stunks
P22 slide is made of carbon steel I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took the P990 to the range again, and I must say I love this firearm.

The trigger is heavy as hell, but thats the only complaint I have.

also I have a question, is dry firing this gun really bad? at the range I pulled the trigger with the gun unloaded and the guy next to me told me that this guns firing pin is weak and dry fire could damage the weapon. is this true?

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P22 slide is made of carbon steel I'm pretty sure.

Ehh, I'm pretty sure it's made from MIM'd zinc.There's a great bunch over at rimfirecentral.com, and the consensus there is that it's MIM'd zinc.  Thus leading to wearing of the slide grooves, and a general raising of the slide when it travels rearward due to the hammer.

After thousands of rounds, the grooves have worn enough on some guns to where the hammer pushes up on the slide enough to fit a nickel between the frame and slide!  There are pictures over there, go look, its interesting.

But, if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.  

-stunks

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Berettafan,

I don't think the spring is weak. I dry fire mine all the time. Go buy some snap caps and dry fire away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ May 27 2005,10:16)]Berettafan,

I don't think the spring is weak.  I dry fire mine all the time.  Go buy some snap caps and dry fire away.
I bought blanks (because the 9mm snap caps the store had were 9x17, they were sold out in the 9x19)

The blanks are pretty badass, but very costly the name brand of them I do not know, because they did not have a box, the casing is brass and the bullet is a slotted plastic dome that opens up, they are very loud.. I know that blanks wont operate the action of a semiauto because of the resistance factor... but it would be cool if it did.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ May 27 2005,8:56)]Ehh, I'm pretty sure it's made from MIM'd zinc.There's a great bunch over at rimfirecentral.com, and the consensus there is that it's MIM'd zinc.  Thus leading to wearing of the slide grooves, and a general raising of the slide when it travels rearward due to the hammer.

After thousands of rounds, the grooves have worn enough on some guns to where the hammer pushes up on the slide enough to fit a nickel between the frame and slide!  There are pictures over there, go look, its interesting.

But, if I'm wrong, I stand corrected.  

-stunks
Could be. I read this article in Handguns Magazine that calls it carbon steel.
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/walther_p22/

The WaltherAmerica website is no help (imagine that.)

I'll look up the rimfire central site.

I suppose someone could put a magnet to it. If it sticks, it would rule out zinc, but not some stainless grades.

·
Registered
821 Posts
ya know what, I've also read that article and was perplexed when they called it carbon steel.

It's possible they're right, and it is possible they're wrong.

Magnet sounds like a good idea, haven't tried it. I think I will!

-stunks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts