Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was changing out the front sight today on my .40 P99 and I noticed several hairline cracks in the front of the dust cover and on the left side of the frame behind the accessory rail. As the pistol has only about 200 rounds through it and the pistol sits in the safe when not it use, does this sound like normal wear?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Chances are it is simply a mold mark. I own four P99s, and all four have a mold mark at the rear of the dust cover, right where it starts curving doward to form the front of the trigger guard, and on the left side. They are all made from the same modl, so this makes sense.

If it is not this mold mark, you should be posting photos.

Lastly, the dust cover is part of the frame that is stressed the least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lunde,

I believe you may be right. I examined my P99 again under some very intense light and the "cracks" appear to be extruding. Normal lighting gave the marks the appearance of depth.

The markings are not symmetrical and are a bit jagged. I'm surprised Walther didn't catch this mold in their QC process.

lunde, are all of the frames manufactured by Walther in Germany, or was there a change after S&W assumed importing rights?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts