Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings.  1st post here, looking for some advice.  i just got my pistol permit, concealed carry.  i am looking for my 1st piece.  i am leaning toward a p99, .40sw, o.d.  any thoughts?  i have experience with beretta 92s and cap and ball revolvers.  i usally wear tshirts untucked and jeans.  any problem concealing a full size under that? all other things equal i would rather have a full size but should a compact be considered for a first timer?  any input would be helpful.  thanks

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome hawken50! I've found the P99 to be a great carry piece and I can conceal it fairly easy with jeans and a t-shirt.

That being said, it comes down to how comfortable you feel with the P99. Most first timers who have little experience with handguns I tell them to get a good revolver. Especially if the person does not intend to shoot much. A revolver is much easier to use and more reliable. You said you wanted a .40. That would be my preference also, however, the .40 is "snappier" and may not be easily controllable for you. A well place 9mm shot will do much better than an errant .40 shot.

I would suggest that you find someone with a .40, preferably a P99 and try it out. If you like it, than get one and then practice a lot with it. Go get some training, Then go to an organized pistol shoot like IPSC or IDPA and hone your skills.

One thing to consider on the compact models is they are great for close range shooting, but the farther out you get, the less accurate they are. But they are easier to conceal.

Good Luck! and let us know if you have further questions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you started out like me and were an ok shot but not great I suggest 9mm. More rounds, less pentration issues(so you dont accidently pop a innocent and go to jail for murder.

My first handgun purchase was the Walther P99 even though I had shot others. I conceal carry it just fine and I am a skinny bastrard. You should be just fine with it and enjoy it quite well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. i'm not exactlly new to handguns, just the only thing i've shot extensivly would be the beretta. i pretty proficent with that. at least the navy thought so. they dubbed me expert pistol marksman. no great feet, but i can punch holes in paper. thanks again

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hawken, my P99 is my first handgun. I shot a few different models some years ago but only 100 rounds total so that doesn't count. I just remember that I couldn't hit a barn door with the Beretta 92 and put everything on target with a Glock. I took the NRA pistol class and decided on the P99 pretty quickly after that. Other candidate was an XD 40 but the lack of a decocker turned me off. I also wasn't too sure of Croatian quality compared to German Thoroughness (Deuthsche Gruendligkeit). Plus I simply *liked* the P99. I'm already a decent shot and I'm working on becoming better. Other than lousy magazine quality and an ill fitting backstrap the gun is great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks nocturnal. actually i was also considering a xd just baised on what i've read. didn't know they don't have a decocker. than is a definate minus.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The P99 was my first handgun as well. I find it a bit difficult to conceal comfortably in the summer with an OWB setup, but I'm happy with the handgun. I would second Nocturnal's concern with the magazine quality. It's not up to par.

One other you might want to look into is the SIG line of handguns. The 239 is a fine, all steel handgun that is chambered in .40 and .357sig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry guys but i'm going with a used astra a 75 in .40 for my first. the price is right, and the dealer said he would give me 100% what i paid for it if i trade it within a year (providing i don't break it). so given my choice of having $200 sitting in an envelope with p99 written on it or having $200 in a pistol that i can get back i think it's a good deal. so my new plan is get this gun and save for a couple of months and trade it for an brand spankin new p99

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good choice since your dealer will trade back. It is always better to try different things to appreciate the better ones.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me. If I was sure I could store my $200 in a handgun as opposed to an envelope, I'd do it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts