Walther Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Well heck. I love my P99, but I think the only thing that would improve it is said flat faced trigger. I even had the opportunity to test out an AR with a flat trigger. Just felt right. Get on it, Walther!!! And/or APEX.
P99 has been out for so long. If it ain't out yet - it's never coming. The sales just aren't there. Unfortunately, the P99 never took off like it should have

·
Registered
169 Posts
I actually tried the canik tp9 da/sa flat trigger on my p99as. A couple of things.
1 tp9 trigger is wider. So, you will need to file off to fit in the frame.
2 tp9 trigger is not same as p99 trigger. There is a small piece inside of p99 trigger to connect to trigger bar.
3 mounting pin are not in the same location. So, I have to re-drill a new hole to fit.
4 after all the works to fit in, the da will not work because it will not return far enough for da to work.
Maybe another 3 hr of mod will get the da to work. At the end, I just take a piece of plastic, glue it to the trigger face and I have a working flat trigger. Ugly but da works.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am on the hunt to learn more about the possibility of putting a flat trigger on the Walther P99. I have a PPQ Q4 Tac which i enjoy greatly, and specifically the flat APEX trigger, which I put on this PPQ. While I realize an APEX trigger will not fit the P99, has anyone on the forum tried to install a CANIK TP9 trigger on a P99, or any other variation of another model CANIK pistol? Thank you in advance.

So...I saw this post and figured Id throw in my 2c..and show off my 40 to 9mm Gen 1 p99 :p
The Trigger you see here is from a TP9 SFX. Only reason this one is here and not the "Fat Daddy Trigger" is well..This is what was left after that installation. I did that to both my Tp9 SA and SFX (Added Fatdaddy triggers)

The only modification I did to the p99 was..well I took a little too much off the trigger safety but its plastic (oops). There was no other "Fitting" and just dropped in.
This pistol does not function in its Original DA/SA role and now is only SA, which is what I wanted in the first place..The main reason this stays in SA mode is the top of the trigger rests on the take down lever.keeping in its rear most position.

I did also try one of the Apex Flat PPQ triggers in this very gun and that did have to be fitted...So maybe Ill try out the other flat trigger see if I like it.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
So, with the trigger in that position, the drop safety (little center blade in the trigger) has been bypassed. And, the tab on the trigger bar that pushes the FPB up into the slide as the trigger bar travels rearward is actually pressing the FPB up while the trigger is at rest. Which means there are absolutely NO safety mechanisms on that pistol.......don't drop it.

Remove the magazine, clear the chamber, use a flashlight to peer down inside the magwell. You'll be able to see the trigger bar 'tab' sitting on top of the FPB.

My recommendation. 1). Put the P99 trigger back in, or 2). Put the Apex trigger in. Both of those will provide all the safety features originally designed into the pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, with the trigger in that position, the drop safety (little center blade in the trigger) has been bypassed. And, the tab on the trigger bar that pushes the FPB up into the slide as the trigger bar travels rearward is actually pressing the FPB up while the trigger is at rest. Which means there are absolutely NO safety mechanisms on that pistol.......don't drop it.

Remove the magazine, clear the chamber, use a flashlight to peer down inside the magwell. You'll be able to see the trigger bar 'tab' sitting on top of the FPB.

My recommendation. 1). Put the P99 trigger back in, or 2). Put the Apex trigger in. Both of those will provide all the safety features originally designed into the pistol.
So if what you say is true, that lil safety tab wasn't doing anything anyway if I had dropped it my pistol.
The Striker Block safety hasn't changed.

The trigger has a mechanical "Click" just like the gun did when it entered SA mode and the Decocker still works,It just doesn't release the trigger to a DA position..Basically, it functions the same as my TP9 SA or just carrying and unmodified Gen 1 p99 in SA mode. All Ive done is eliminate DA mode.

...Side note..If I will probably try out the 30$ Tp9 Flat trigger that was mentioned here.

I wont be putting the APEX Trigger back in, mostly due its accompanying trigger bar. I also hated the feeling of that aluminum trigger safety on my finger. The trigger I have in now at least has some take up before it breaks. The APEX trigger had "0." The APEX Flat trigger is also not made for the P99 but the PPQ and so in not a drop in.

All I changed was the trigger. Everything else is as it was.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
One more time. Remove the magazine, make sure the chamber is empty. Use a flashlight and look down into the magwell. You'll be able to see that the tab on the trigger bar is sitting on top of the FPB and has it fully depressed up into the slide. Meaning you have NO drop safety and the FPB is fully depressed, meaning that gun has NO functional safeties.

Look down inside the magwell, work the trigger back and forth....watch the tab on the trigger bar and the FPB.

In addition, the decocker has nothing to do with the trigger bar. All the decocker does is, when depressed, it'll make contact with the single action lever, pushing it rearward which will release the striker. The striker will 'spring' forward, and will be stopped by a ledge on the decocker. Should that ledge fail, the striker would be stopped by the FPB...but not on your gun because your FPB seems to be in a constant state of compression up into the slide.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In addition, the decocker has nothing to do with the trigger bar. All the decocker does is, when depressed, it'll make contact with the single action lever, pushing it rearward which will release the striker. The striker will 'spring' forward, and will be stopped by a ledge on the decocker. Should that ledge fail, the striker would be stopped by the FPB...but not on your gun because your FPB seems to be in a constant state of compression up into the slide.

My 2 cents.
Also, because of the trigger is pushed back about 1-2mm, the sear is also moved back a little. When you press the decocker button, the striker will pass the sear and the da will not work consistently. In my case, fail to catch unless I force the trigger forward.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
When the trigger bar on a PPQ P99 or Canik is moved rearward, the first thing that happens is it moves past the drop safety point, then the tab on the trigger bar makes contact with the FPB and pushes it UP into the slide as the trigger bar continues to move rearward. At a point just after the FPB is fully compressed into the slide the trigger bar will make contact with the single action lever (That's the point where you're at the wall). NOW, any additional rearward movement of the trigger will also move the single action lever rearward. Doesn't have very far....maybe 2 rch's and it'll be pushed out from under the single action sear, allowing the single action sear to pivot downward, releasing the striker.

Again all the decocker does is push the single action lever rearward, which will result in releasing the striker.

The DA is handled by an additional hook on the trigger bar that interfaces or catches a portion of the P99 striker.....PPQ's don't have that little ledge on the striker foot, nor do they have the 'DA' hook on the trigger bar.

Here ya go, read post #6. It'll shed some light on how the internal parts work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the trigger bar on a PPQ P99 or Canik is moved rearward, the first thing that happens is it moves past the drop safety point, then the tab on the trigger bar makes contact with the FPB and pushes it UP into the slide as the trigger bar continues to move rearward. At a point just after the FPB is fully compressed into the slide the trigger bar will make contact with the single action lever (That's the point where you're at the wall). NOW, any additional rearward movement of the trigger will also move the single action lever rearward. Doesn't have very far....maybe 2 rch's and it'll be pushed out from under the single action sear, allowing the single action sear to pivot downward, releasing the striker.

Again all the decocker does is push the single action lever rearward, which will result in releasing the striker.

The DA is handled by an additional hook on the trigger bar that interfaces or catches a portion of the P99 striker.....PPQ's don't have that little ledge on the striker foot, nor do they have the 'DA' hook on the trigger bar.

Here ya go, read post #6. It'll shed some light on how the internal parts work.
Well.. I guess Ill make sure I don't drop it on the striker (back of the gun). Doesn't release the striker being dropped barrel or slide side(s).

But both guns release the striker when dropped on its striker..Which would explain why they aren't on the list to be sold in Californina (except the 22)

·
Registered
8 Posts
SO..I uh tried out this.

Doesn't fit in the P99. Both my friend and myself got one of these (He went for the DA/SA and me only SA).. Its 3d printed.Neither of use got our respective triggers to work. (Looked horried when I was dont sanding and what not for fit. The bottom of the trigger was just too low.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts