Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the hunt to learn more about the possibility of putting a flat trigger on the Walther P99. I have a PPQ Q4 Tac which i enjoy greatly, and specifically the flat APEX trigger, which I put on this PPQ. While I realize an APEX trigger will not fit the P99, has anyone on the forum tried to install a CANIK TP9 trigger on a P99, or any other variation of another model CANIK pistol? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Not something I have heard of, even though the Canik’s are sort of clones of the P99, correct? I had a flat trigger on my Sig 320 from APEX and sincerely enjoyed the advantages. Reminded me of a 1911 type pull, straight back, not hinged or swinging.

I have half a mind to believe that if enough interest swells for it, APEX will listen. Market demands, market may supply it.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I don't think anyone has tried that. Some of the Canik SA pistols have a flat trigger, but they're SA only. The Canik DA/SA pistols are basically a clone of the P99 AS, with the same DA/SA operation as well as having a de-cocker, but the trigger is not flat.

I firmly believe you're SOL.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well heck. I love my P99, but I think the only thing that would improve it is said flat faced trigger. I even had the opportunity to test out an AR with a flat trigger. Just felt right. Get on it, Walther!!! And/or APEX.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the Canik TP9 DA trigger functions exactly the same as the P99 AS, as seen here:

then couldn't an aftermarket trigger for this Canik TP9 DA be retrofitted to the P99 AS?

Here is an example such a trigger from Galloway Precision Jefe Short Stroke Trigger for Canik TP9 V2 / Gen 1 DA Pistols along with an install video so you can see what this looks like:

Can anyone with more knowledge than myself chime in as to whether this might work or not?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$20 bucks????? Go for it.
I have an email out to Galloway, to confirm fit, and I will chime in here once I know more. I Just picked up two of the P99 AS "Ambidextrous" versions from Earl (he had them on special order for nearly a year) and my only desire is for these two pistols to have a flat trigger.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I watched the videos. Impressed with 3D printing. One thing I noticed is, I didn't see the trigger shoe pivot as he began the pull, however, he may have been pulling it too fast for me to see the pivoting action. Its that initial trigger shoe pivot that serves as a 'drop safety'. If his trigger shoe does not pivot, he bypassed that important safety feature. Actually, there's a little more to that. I also didn't see the nub on the rear of his flat trigger that would perform the drop safety function.

To see what I mean, do this. Grab your P99 AS, check it to make sure there's no round in the chamber and no magazine. Now, place your finger on the trigger and very slowly/gently, start pulling the trigger rearward. If you watch closely and do this slowly enough you'll notice the trigger shoe pivots just a little, before the trigger bar starts to move rearward.

Now, place your finger as far up or as high as you can on the trigger shoe (finger touching the frame) and perform the same test as above. You'll notice the trigger shoe does not pivot and the trigger bar will start to move rearward just a little then it'll stop. THAT's the drop safety.

So, perform the first test again, press the trigger shoe and watch it pivot, just press the trigger shoe enough to pivot the shoe but not enough to move the trigger bar....do this over and over (press/release/press/release/press/release) you'll see the nub on the rear of the trigger shoe pivoting up and down (up will clear the frame and allow for a normal trigger pull, when the nub is down, it'll make contact with the frame, limiting further movement.

If I was going to try this, I'd call Fort Smith or Earl and buy another P99 AS trigger bar assembly. If I screwed that one up, no harm, no foul. I'd hate to see you whackin' on those highly elusive, almost impossible to find, ambidextrous P99's. BUT, I'm still convinced this flat trigger doesn't have a drop safety.

Love those Speed Sights........ 😁

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iamaoldfart, once again you prove you are THE MAN when it comes to these Walther Pistols. Seriously... your knowledge will be passed on for generations and your various post reviewed, referred to, and shared by many Walther enthusiast for many years to come.

Thank you for the generosity of your time, your knowledge, and your insight on the PPQ and P99 contributions to this forum. I read alot and post little, as I am but a grasshopper learning the ways. I will speak with Galloway to ask about the drop safety, and report back. Cheers.

P.s. I am tickled pink to have two of these Ambi 99's. Here is a brief vid from last weekend, doing a mag dump just for fun after I had broke the pistol in with over 250 rounds ( I just wanted to see how fast I could work the stock trigger, thus the mag dump, as I am really not a cowboy). I now have over 600 rounds through this pistol, without a hiccup, shooting nine different types of brands and weight bullets, including +P and Hollow points.

http://instagr.am/p/CAoPahbBth1/

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I watched the video. Did you get the P99 trigger with the 'auto' sear????? You were firing that thing like a machine gun. 😂

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha, LOL. I had Earl do a trigger job on each of my P99's when purchased, which I must admit, is QUITE good. I successfully installed the APEX trigger on my PPQ, but that was the limit of my gunsmithing skills, and I did not want to mess up the P99's if I did something wrong, so I just had Earl work his magic.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Earl is good. Once you get past that first shot, the P99 AS trigger in single action is as good as, or some say better than the PPQ. Both triggers have minimal over travel and very short reset.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can attest that my PPQ, with the APEX trigger, does not have anything over my P99's with earls trigger job. I put a Wolff 6# striker spring on one of my P99's, and this definatley dropped the double action pull weight by several pounds to what I consider a perfect DA pull weight. I found the stock striker spring in double action a little stiff. The reason I have shot nine different kinds of ammo through one of these P99's was to confirm that I would not experience light primer strikes with this new spring, which I have not, so I am very happy with this simple and cheap ($3.50) mod.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Yep, I've used those Glock springs before. I bought one of each 4 thru 6. I settled on 5.5.....really does improve the DA pull.

·
Registered
223 Posts
While we’re here, is the frame of the ambidextrous p99 indeed completely different from the standard frame? Earl said the internals are completely different when I asked about buying the internals from him a few months back.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Yes, the frame is different, specifically, the right side of the frame where the slide lock is attached. No, you can't modify a standard P99 frame to accept the ambi slide locks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts