Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination, or does the finish on 'blued' P99s seem kinda 'thin' and 'less than durable'? My 9MM P99's finish QUICKLY wore when subjected to daily carry in Blade-Tech kydex holster....and I notice the finish on the used OD .40S&W P99 I just traded for is worn excessively(to me/around muzzle area) as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I haven't noticed it yet, however I am still waiting on my CCW and it hasn't spent much time in a holster. I'll keep an eye on it when I do start carrying it daily though. I think the important thing to remember though is that the blueing wearing off is just the finish, the metal underneath is tenifer treated like the glocks, this is not a finish, but a treatment that hardens and protects the metal. So this is just an aesthetic concern, and I kinda like the 'used' look of a pistol

J

·
Registered
229 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want to obscure the "eagle over 'N'" German markings, but if I owned one of the non all-German P99s, I'd consider having the metal parts (slide, barrel, slide stop lever) hard-chromed by Virgil Tripp. It may not look so good with the OD green frame, however I think it would look great with the black frame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you sure that the finish is wearing off? The Kydex may be rubbing off and onto the pistol. I have a Glock I used to carry in a Kydex holster and, with a little work, one could remove the dull, greyish, Kydex film which built up from carrying, drawing, and holstering it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts