Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have a new P99AS that currently has 300 rounds through it, When using 115gr TMJ CF, the slide will jam every 3 or 4 shots - it looks like failure to eject; tried different brands of 115gr; had the county Sheriff shoot it - same thing; cleaned barrel - no change. Switched to 124gr GDHP +P - perfect perfomance. From a training point of view, I need to use the standard 115 or 124 ammo (half the cost of the GDHP+P)

OK now the questions -

Could the recoil spring be too strong and prevent the slide from cycling all the way ? (if I cycle by hand and let the rounds fall to the carpet - no problem).

If a lighter recoil spring is a path to using the standard ammo, what is the down side of a lighter spring.

Thanks in advance - Alan

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would say that you need to break in the gun. I believe the recommendation is for the first 500 rounds, use 124 grain. Look around on the threads and You will be able to find it I am sure.
wage out

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am going to say your haveing some issues with the weapon. Very few people here have issues like that. Take a look and see if you have a ejector rod, a bad magazine, or Pro Mag can break those off in just about any weapon. Also take a look at the video that shows how to take the slide apart. You can take a detailed look at your extractor and spring(maybe you just have a bad spring). If you need help do a quick search or post back here and I will give you as detailed a walkthrough as I can.

Although I have heard of break in periods Walthers, and most others should have minimal errors, and yours is haveing to many. Also call Walther/S&W and talk to the tech guys and tell them whats up.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
After making sure all the bits and pieces are in your pistol, clean it and try some different ammo. If your Walther still jams most likely it is the recoil spring.

If the recoil spring has weakened for some reason your slide might be cycling too fast, although it might appear as if it's going too slow - that's why an ammo change may help.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
See this link to the question at Ken Lunde's P99 FAQ site:

http://lundestudio.com/WaltherP99FAQ/X/1.html

I called Earl and asked why he recommends this. He said the reason is that the P99 spring was designed for 124 grain bullets. FWIW I followed his recommendation and broke-in my P99 with 124 gr. WWB. Since then I have been shooting mostly 115 gr. aside for some defense loads I've tested. I have encountered no FTEs in nearly 1200 rounds of service.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't have any issues until I broke my ejector rod from that crap magazine from day 1 all the way to 21K rounds. After the fix I still have had no problems even with the replacement of the spring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The wife and I have shot the first 200 rounds of 115gr fmj WWB,through her new p99 9mm, with no malfunctions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 550 rounds through my P99c using 115 gr winchester white box FMJ and 115 gr Speer gold Dot Hollow Points, with one failure to fire, which occured during the first 50 rounds. Other then that, it has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well, I might as well jump in here with my latest tale of Sellier & Bellot woe Sunday with my P99.
I had shot about 170 rounds of the 115gr stuff with two failures to extract. On the third FTE the spent case came about 2mm out but would not dislodge even with a screwdriver.:eek: That ended my session. At home I popped the case out with a plastic chopstick and small hammer. It appeared to be badly scorched on one side of the case but not deformed. The chamber seems to be fine after cleaning.:rolleyes:
The chopstick is now in my range bag and the S&B will go on the back shelf till I determine whether or not I have similar problems with PMC or WWB.:(

As far as accuracy is concerned I can't complain about the performance at 25 yards. It goes low and a little left. Low because it seems to be zeroed for 15 yards. Left because I still need better trigger control.

Russell

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I called Earl and asked why he recommends this. He said the reason is that the P99 spring was designed for 124 grain bullets. FWIW I followed his recommendation and broke-in my P99 with 124 gr. WWB.
This was almost exclusively true of the eary pre-2004 models which came with a heavier recoil spring. I have one of these models and ordered the lighter spring. My other full size and compact post-04 models where produced with an eye for the U.S. market and they came with the lighter springs and should have no trouble with 115 grs right out of the box...at least mine had no trouble.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Try 50 or 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. and see what happens. If there is no problem, then that is likely the answer to your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update 1

Update 1: still have the problem - tried Blazer 124 and Federal 124 failure rate about the same - every 3 or 4th round. Can't tell the difference from the 115'sI did notice that the brass is just poping out (compared to my Glock where it flys out very forcefully). Put another box of the GDHP +P with no FTE.

Someone metioned a lighter recoil spring. When I called Walther America, I was told that there wasn't any alternative. Could you post the source and part number ? Also, has anyone measured their spring ?

Alan

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am going to hate to say this and maybe shipwreck or one of the other guys might have a better suggestion. I think you should document the issue in a letter, contact Walther with the issue, and send it in for free. Should take between 2-3 weeks, but it will be worth it to have a expert look at it. Since it is warranted and this is highly unusal for a walther.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Time for a professional

Well - I think that it is time to send the P99 to the shop; it seems there is something wrong beyond what I can reasonably do. As suggested, I will summarize the conditions and the results for the gunsmith.

Thanks to all that helped

Alan

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Allan: You say that you have 300 rounds through the gun, but not over what period of time, or in how many sessions, or with what brand and type of ammo that 300 rounds consisted of. "TMJ CF" is not familiar to me. Also it is difficult to diagnose any jam without a description of exactly where everything comes to rest (particularly the fired case) when the stoppage occurs.

In any event, before you go to the trouble of shipping a handgun (which is a PITA), why not try something which is simple and costs nothing?

Pull the barrel out of the pistol, wipe out the chamber and bore with a cleaning patch, and take the barrel outside in bright sunlight. Let the sunlight shine obliquely in the chamber and carefully examine the chamber walls, expecially the forward end where it meets the rifling. The chamber walls should be smooth, clean, bright and shiny, without any sort of deposit on them, and without any significant scratches or tool marks. If they are not, you've found the problem.

M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts