Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to completely disassemble the slide on my p99 AS, and did not heed the warning to keep your thumb over the retaining pin while removing the extractor. That little SOB had some serious spring tension. Needless to say, it almost put my eye out and now is lost somewhere in the garage with no hope of being found. So...does anyone have an extra pin and spring they wouldnt mind selling, or where I can buy one? I tried calling Earls btw and the phone just rang with no answer. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not really an option right now. Weve got tons of boxes in the garage because we are moving in a couple weeks and theres barely enough room to walk. I'll probably find it when we're cleaning the garage out later on, but this is my HD gun, so Id like to have it working again as soon as possible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can call Walther America/S&W and see if they can send you a new one. I would make up a different story and they might even send it to you for free. If not, you should be able to buy one from them.

Would a SW99 spring work? If so I think I remember seeing one for a SW99 on midway the other day. You can try searching there and might come up with something.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was able to get ahold of Earl so I went ahead and ordered one from him for 25 bucks. This was an expensive mistake and I'll damn sure be more careful when cleaning the gun in the future. Thanks for the replies all.

Matt

·
Registered
361 Posts
Did you not want to call S&W?

I would rather try to call and at least beg S&W for the spring, rather than go crawling to Earl who doesn't even give you lube before making you pay $25 for a spring due to his minimum order policy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry ... I don't know why I keep referring to your problem as a spring. I know what you are talking about but I must have springs on my mind today. Good luck with the PIN and I hope you get your gun working soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
$25 for a pin and spring??? Wow. I hope Earl includes some European chocolates and a "thank you" card with the order.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For $ 25 I wouldn't settle for anything less than a spring + pin, half a pound of Belgian chocolates, two sixpacks of German beer and a couple of hugs ...:D :D :D (maybe he can throw in an extra discount on your next purchase ?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that price really sucks, and to top it off I had to pay for shipping costs also...$1.25 USPS I think it was.:mad: I know he has to stay in business and all, but dang. I'll most definately go through S&W if this happens again.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
At first, that was my reaction too. But on reflection, look at it from Earl's perspective. If you are a small business, and you don't do enough volume to keep a dedicated parts room clerk busy, you can't exploit the economies of scale. You have to take time out to individually take a phone order, type up a label, package it, weigh it, put postage on and mail it; how can you make any money that way selling a pin and spring worth $1.75?

You are not paying for the parts, you're paying for the labor. Otherwise, Earl would be losing money on every such order.

Moral of this story: Do not take apart a gun outdoors or in your cluttered garage.

M

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I decided to completely disassemble the slide on my p99 AS, and did not heed the warning to keep your thumb over the retaining pin while removing the extractor. That little SOB had some serious spring tension. Needless to say, it almost put my eye out and now is lost somewhere...
I hadn't SEEN the warnng when I took one of them apart the first time and almost did the same thing. I got lucky and found it which was a miracle. My sympathies...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts