Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a p99 9mm, and I've been asking around at retailers for prices, if I were to have them special order one, from their distributor or something, would it be a 2005 or 2004 model?  I only ask because it seems a lot of people in this forum are getting 2004 for some reason, is there a way to find out about that by looking at the catalog they're looking at, because I have never run into yet a store that knew much about the p99.  Whats the difference between the newer years?  On this forum it seems like that huge mag release might be one of them.  And also how do you get one with the extended slide release?  And what exactly does that do?  Would it be better for someone with smaller hands (like me)?  Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
reason i got for getting a 2004 when ordering mine was that walther just got a large order recently for p99s in europe from a law enforcement source so they weren't exactly breaking their backs to make sure we've got some here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The stores all around me in NY can only get me the 2005 models now (or so they say) and I didn't ask but I only assume that they are all QA models? I kinda like the look of the smaller mag realease better (2004), and i kinda think the huge 2005 mag release is a little ugly, but im sure it will be much more functional and easier to operate. -Dave

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
there's always gunbroker.com...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think I may have misspoke.  The styling change happened between the '03 & '04 model years:

'03 P99

'04 P99

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
These pictures don't show the long magazine release. Like P88 mentioned, I hadn't heard about them until this year. I'm not sure where I saw the picture, but if you do a search you can probably find it in here somewhere.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BlakeTyner how would you say the action of releasing the mag is compared to the earlier versions of the mag release of p99's? I'm trying to decide if I want the extended one or not..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, that's the '05 QA.

PeterK, my buddy has an '04 AS model and in a comparison between the two, I'd say mine is easier. There is no need to twist the gun in your hand in order to use your strong thumb...I find it most comfortable to just release the mag with my trigger finger. You can do it without ever losing your sight picture.

This is one of the changes in models that I think was an improvement. The rest just basically made the gun look a little different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I see. So you can only buy it in QA? Has anyone seen the extended mag release? It's on the Walther 2005 catalog.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think (and I could be mistaken) that you *could* get a 2005 AS model from Earl's. S&W may not be importing them, but I'd be surprised if Earl wasn't.

That said, you'll pay a pretty penny for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts