Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out www.canadiangunnutz.com in their pistol forum.
A fellow running a range made the observation that P99's tend to be fragile, especially in regards to ejectors being sheared. (He stated it should be 15mm and often is sheared to 10mm although most time the gun still works.) he also stated slide releases, trigger drawbars, and even barrel lugs have been broken at relatively low round counts 1000 or 2 or so.

Since his range is in Calgary, Alberta, the P99's in question would be straight from Germany with the 9mm having the 'Canada' Barrel (106mm long).

Anyone else noted these problems (I going to compare my ejector with that of my NIB 'spare'.)??? So far on this forum, the only thing that is noted to break is the slidestop spring and members have P99's with 10K + rounds through them.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
94 Posts
All I have to say is that if you have to go all the way to Canada to find someone having problems with a P99, then it must be a pretty good gun.

I have put probably around 500 rounds through my P99 so far and have not had a single problem with it. That's more than I can say for my Glock 23. Because of that, I switched my primary duty weapon from my Glock to my P99.

·
Registered
411 Posts
20k+ rounds and still running perfectly.
Broke the slide stop spring at around 10k, replaced it with the new spring style and haven't looked back yet.
I have over 7k on this recoil spring, and it is still plenty strong.
The P99 is plenty durable for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to chat with the owner of The Shooting Edge and ask about year of manufacture and serial numbers of the P99's he had problems with. I chatted with a dealer buddy of mine who also used to work at a range. It's his belief that the Calgary Range (TSE) got a 'bad batch' of 'Friday Guns'. He tells me that The Shooting Edge has a good maintenance program so it is unlikely that it was poor upkeep of the weapons which caused the problems. He also knew a fellow in my home town of Edmonton who shot a CASE of ammo every 1-2 weeks (Hard use indeed!!!) who after 5-6 cases had no problems what so ever. (That gun is an AB I suspect given the timeline he described).

The quote of 20k+ with only a spring change is most reassuring. The fact that for all the years the P99 has been out in the your country with no such report confirms the 'bad batch' theory.

I'll let you know about the serial numbers. I don't think it will affect you guys in the US as all the P99's in Canada come from Germany and have NO S&W markings on them...

I have a spare and a spare spare so I'll keep tabs and post here with my observations as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BKP99 @ Dec. 01 2003,7:06)][...]
I'll let you know about the serial numbers.  I don't think it will affect you guys in the US as all the P99's in Canada come from Germany and have NO S&W markings on them...

I have a spare and a spare spare so I'll keep tabs and post here with my observations as well.
Add me to the list of interested parties.  When Redleg makes up his mind, he can get unreasonably stubborn about accepting new evidence.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've got both 9mm and .40 caliber P99's with 10k rounds each and a few other .40's with at least 5k rounds. The only problem I've had so far is with the .40 breaking the slide stop spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts