Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Never had a problem with mine in a .40 cal PPS M1 and .40 P99AS. If it is supposed to reduce shock, why would you think that it is doing harm?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wasn't too sure if the dpm would bottom out on the frame. ive got a .40 sw p99 as... is there a particular spring you guys use primarily? Installed the medium one and the first rack of the slide did some weird stuff with the slide

·
In Memoriam
15,041 Posts
BC, please describe 'weird stuff with the slide'.

I'm using DPM springs in a variety of PPQ's/P99's, 9mm,/40. You should have a silver spring and a gold spring. Lay em' side by side....one is longer than the other. Use the shorter spring for standard loads and the longer spring for higher power ammo.

Just checked your link....looks like DPM is now offering 3 springs and they all seem to be silver in color. All I can do is suggest the same reasoning applies...the shorter spring for light loads, medium spring for heavier loads, and the longest spring for +P.

This is from the DPM site:

This system works due to the multi spring intricate rod (three springs) and controls the functionality of the pistol. The third spring which is contained within the rod controls the movement of the slide so it never rams on the frame. The system includes one spring plug and two different external springs. The spring plug should always be Installed when the DPM Recoil Rod and springs are used.

The external springs are different in length, the long spring is heavy and the short is light so the shooter can fine tune the pistol on the opening and locking positions (slide on the battery) according his/her personal standards.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Properly installed the DPM system will not harm your weapon in the least.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The P99c already uses a two stage recoil system. Sorry I said the DPM doesn't make one for the C...it does.

I don't know how they work in the P99c but I'd imagine they work fine if properly installed.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I've been to the DPM storefront years ago when I visited Athens, Greece. It looked like a small machine shop. The people there were very nice, and I purchased a DPM system for my PPQ. I didn't stay too long because it was already dark out, and the storefront was in the middle of an alley.

I never put enough rounds through the DPM system to get comfortable with carrying the pistol with it installed, but with the few hundred rounds I put with it installed, it didn't malfunction. I'm not a big fan of recoil reducing guide rods. I've seen and heard of more than enough reports of them failing to function that I choose to stay away for the most part. The DPM system for the PPQ was purchased more out of a curiosity than anything else.

If you do choose to install one in your pistol, realize that every report of proper function and the entire track record of these pistols may as well be thrown out the window since you are replacing a part as important to function as the recoil spring, and you are replacing it with a more complicated system that is not used in the vast majority of PPQ pistols out there, and doesn't have the same track record. If you hear of five issues with DPM systems and your hear of five issues with the factory system, then there are many more issues with the DPM system as a whole since there are so many fewer in use. Do your research.

I'd advise against using one spring for practice loads and another different spring for carry loads. One of the purposes of practicing with a carry pistol is to get used to how it shoots, and to prove its reliability. Switching between two springs (or three that came with my DPM system) would be the worst combination in my opinion. You are basically practicing with a pistol that will have a different recoil impulse than the one you will be carrying with the lighter spring, and with a pistol that will have that many fewer rounds through it in the configuration that you carry it in to prove its reliability with the heavier spring.

I think most people would be better served just sticking with the stock configuration. A lighter recoil spring is preferable for reliability with a weak grip, an awkward grip, or an injury. Reading thread after thread here on this forum about how people try to save money by shooting steel cased ammunition leads me to believe that most people out there aren't going to be buying defensive ammunition by the case to prove how reliable their pistols are with the heavier spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.