Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So living in CA, I don’t have the option of buying many handgun unless they’re already privately owned in the state.

can then buy them used (google CA DOJ handgun roster).

Anyhow, a local has a P99 Defense Kit in 9mm. The caveat is I have a current generation P99AS, which I’m not opposed to selling. To obtain the Defense Kit, he will only sell if I also purchase the P99C he is selling. I’d be selling the compact as i only want Defense Kit. $2800 for the pair.

Since we deal with a roster, guns not on it command more money
unless you are law enforcement and exempt from the roster.

I would sell my P99 between $1000-1200, and maybe the same for the compact model. I just wonder if buying the defense kit is worth it, especially at CA prices and the current panic we are in.

What would you do if you were a Walther enthusiast living in CA like I do? Good buy given the circumstances?

The gun in question:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ugh. Tough. I paid $795 + $35/shipping from Carl for a special import German edition with full ambidextrous controls. Then another $50 for TruGlo tritium sights, another $40 to mount them...and another $55 for a 16rd magazine. So I'm in it for just shy of $1000.

I sold my P99cAS to fund part of it (probably going to regret it.

Classic was selling imported European Police guns with full ambidextrous controls for less than $500 a few months ago if I recall, but I missed out.

I hate that you have to deal with THAT state, but, these are very niche guns IMO, with very loyal fans. Frankly, if we had more "sense" we'd probably be "Glock" guys like everyone else...but we are not. We are smarter. ;-)

SO...It seems like a lot, and you may be able to get it cheaper someday, but the Defense kit is rare as hens teeth it seems, so...

I guess the moral of the story is if you want it...you want it.

I didn't likely help an iota! LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input! Like everything in CA, things are just expensive. I’ve had to move money about and reprioritize where my money goes so I have the flexibility to pay the unholy amount of money for things that are reasonably priced for the rest of you in free USA.

I looked at my own P99 tonight and don’t see how the frames are that much different. Is it simply just extra cut outs for the Ambi slide stops?

And as far as handling between a normal P99 and the defense version, do you find it easier to shoot or faster to manipulate? I train often with my P99 and wonder if the defense version would be leaps and bounds a better overall gun. Then I can see myself justifying the price. I always set aside money for rarities like this.

So Walther braintrust, guide me with you wisdom!

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
If you're right handed, the defense kit won't change anything....you'll still be locking the slide back or dropping the slide with your right hand 'thumb'. Lefties would benefit by having the ambi slide lock. I DO like the defense kit P99's ..... they just look kool. Also, the frame is different, specifically on the right side to allow for the ambi slide lock lever.....can't just modify a standard frame to accept the ambi slide locks.

Save your money....buy more ammo.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m primarily a left handed shooter, right eye dominant. I’ve been training right handed for the past year, and it’s been slow progress.

I only asked about frame differences since I can see casting lines in the frame for what looks like an Ambi release. Kinda inclines me to believe the frames are in fact identical aside from extra cuts and recesses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a leftie hence the obsession with "full-ambi" but the reality is, I've learned to operate everything in a right handed world so it isn't really THAT important. It was more of wanting something unique that not many people have and slightly better for me. Like was stated above, more ammo is a probably a better idea, but we want what we want!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
The P99AS Defense Kit was absolutely a niche gun in the USA. If it wasn’t, Walther would be importing them here because they’re readily available in Europe.

I’m a left-handed shooter and the only benefit the ambi slide lock/release provides for me is clearing type 3 malfunctions. That could be a big deal for some while others may not care.

Besides that, there could be emotional value being rare in the US and especially in CA. This is both good and bad; keep in mind that the frame is unique and essentially irreplaceable in CA.

The P99c AS has been discontinued by Walther, so that has limited availability as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The roster prevents any sort of frame replacement in the event of a crack or other failure. That I’m woefully aware of.

Are the S&W imported defense models prone to cracking like the Generation 1? The P99 I’m interested looks to be a BA date code meaning 2010. Comes with the longer magazine paddles, which I would imagine at that point Walther mitigated all the problems with cracking frames.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts