Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else feel like the P99 has excessive overtravel in DA? The SA over travel is almost NON-EXISTENT and is part of th reason it is SOOO good. But the P99 seems to have more overtravel than any of my other DA guns. (And this is necessary because all they had to do was make a slight change to the striker and/or sear on the DA channel. (BTW - my Gen 1 is a tad less).

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Anyone else feel like the P99 has excessive overtravel in DA? The SA over travel is almost NON-EXISTENT and is part of th reason it is SOOO good. But the P99 seems to have more overtravel than any of my other DA guns. (And this is necessary because all they had to do was make a slight change to the striker and/or sear on the DA channel. (BTW - my Gen 1 is a tad less).
I've had a few P99 pistols, with most of my experience being on a 1st gen KK date-code P99.

I can't say that I have ever noticed this in the years that I owned a P99. I will say that on the P99, the trigger breaks almost all the way to the rear of the trigger travel, and like all other DA/SA pistols, there will be more overtravel on the DA trigger pull than the SA trigger pull.

How much more are we talking about on your later pistol? The later P99 pistols have an adjustable trigger bar guide. It is possible that it is adjusted too far in one direction rather than the other, as it determines how far the trigger (and striker) travel before the striker is released in the DA trigger pull.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much more are we talking about on your later pistol? The later P99 pistols have an adjustable trigger bar guide. It is possible that it is adjusted too far in one direction rather than the other, as it determines how far the trigger (and striker) travel before the striker is released in the DA trigger pull.
Thanks. I just feel like it is a tad too long in DA. My Gen 1 may be a bit smoother but it does SEEM to be shorter in OT.

I WANT the above to be true and would love to have someone show me how to adjust the trigger bar guide for this - anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, definitely agree with you Brian. The overtravel in DA on mine is ~1/4" and makes keeping the sights steady a bit difficult once the shot breaks. I had been looking for how to adjust it for a while now.

EDIT: Whoo, I did it. Backing out that screw a full turn has it just about perfect now, and the striker doesn't get hung up in DA.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Backing OUT the screw doesn't help mine much at all. Driving it in INCREASED the overtravel and took away the miserable stacking, but the OT is unacceptable. Oh well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure you've backed it out enough?
Yes - to the point where it was sticking up out of the frame. Didn't do much of anything. Now, when I turned it back in enough I got rid of the stacking, but the OT increased - not good.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Here's a little 3D animation .... looks to be a DOA pistol, but its the DA action/interface we're interested in.

Adjusting the set screw will in fact have an effect on the over travel, but the REAL concern is the release point of the striker. Release it too early and you can have light strikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes - to the point where it was sticking up out of the frame. Didn't do much of anything. Now, when I turned it back in enough I got rid of the stacking, but the OT increased - not good.
Hmmm, odd. Perhaps you have an out of spec part? Could be the trigger bar or the screw itself. I've further backed out my screw so now it is just recessed from the top of the frame. The DA trigger breaks very close to where the SA trigger breaks, now.

Release it too early and you can have light strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jIHBJ1rOpg

Helpful animation to understand what's going on here, but an odd choice of music. :eek:

I always felt like the striker released a bit early with the way my set screw was adjusted from the factory, but it's never failed to set off any of the ammunition I've put into it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric: Mine COULD be out of spec). I will try an adjustment again, and your post made me hopeful. But alas, I can make it break even earlier (not good), but not later. This is the one thing holding me back from pronouncing the P99 'the best 9' - but it IS quite excellent in all other aspects.

Not to pile on, but the few DA Caniks I've handled did BETTER in the OT department. I don't like them because they mugged up the grip and put on the dumb buttons. I also really don't want to spend money funding any part of Turkey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the screw were too long, or its mating surface on the trigger bar too tall, I could see it preventing the geometry from changing enough to allow you to noticeably affect the overtravel before the screw interferes with the slide. Here's a video of mine that shows what should be possible with adjusting the screw.

https://youtu.be/zH3XwlSidSg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts