Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who has been carring and shooting the new P99 compact, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following:

-Shooting comfort of the pistol (is it comfortable in th hand, to shoot?)
-Ease of carry
-Reliability
- How is the finish holding up
- Is it easy to field strip and clean

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bliss,
I have put only about 500 rounds through mine, walmart cheepo mostly, and not one FTF, I guess that states the it is fairly reliable. As for shooting it, it does have some flip that most people are not used to. I don't carry it, and the finish is just fine so far. As for cleaning, same as any I guess. I own it and 2 SW revolvers, so my comparison is not the best.
Hope this helps
Patrick out

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I carried a Glock 26 for 8 years. I always suffered from the hitting low and to the left thing that is common w/ Glocks. Only thing, I've had a G19 and G17 prev, and I cannot break the habit. Only Glock that shoots right for me is my Glock 34.

Anyway, I loved the full size P99 so much that I sold my G26 and bought the Walther. I really like it a lot. Shoots great, no problems with reliability.

ONly 1 complaint. It is tennifer coated, like the Glock. So, it protects against rust. But the outer carbon/black coating on the Glock (above the tennifer) is much tougher on the Glock than on the Walther. I find that it scratches easily. I have some holster wear.

But, I plan to get my slide hard chromed soon. And, that will take care of that...

Now, I have the A/S version - SA/DA - I LOVE the SA trigger pull. Not a fan of the newer QA trigger - it is too heavy for me. If you want an A/S, better hurry. They are no longer imported...

·
Registered
356 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Waltherbliss @ Dec. 06 2005,18:00)]-Shooting comfort of the pistol (is it comfortable in th hand, to shoot?)
-Ease of carry
-Reliability
-How is the finish holding up
-Is it easy to field strip and clean
I own two of these, both are AS versions chambered in 9mm. The .40 Auto versions don't work well for me, so I never bought a P99c in that caliber, and probably never will. 9mm is a great cartridge.

Anyway, The P99c is simply a smaller P99, meaning that field-stripping and cleaning is the same as the P99. The ergonomics are necessarily different than the P99, due to the abbreviated grip, but still feels comfortable. It is compact, relatively thin, has few protrusions, and has an outstanding trigger. The user of a holster means holster-wear, and hard-chrome is solution if you want to minimize that.

Mine have never failed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a P99c in 9mm. The ergonomics with the finger rest magazine baseplates can't be beat. I haven't found the pistol excessively 'flippy'. But I have felt it 'torque' or twist a little more when fired with one hand than other similar-sized pistols. Other have commented on this, and I did not feel it at first, so perhaps this is psychosomatic on my part. Field stripping is easy, and you can detail-strip the whole slide assembly very quickly. The black surface finish is relatively thin and prone to holster wear, but the underlying metal is very resistant to corrosion. I love mine, but wish I had purchased one of the elusive ambi-slide release models--I shoot lefty a lot. Highly recommended.

ciadst

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Shooting comfort of the pistol (is it comfortable in th hand, to shoot?): Yes
-Ease of carry :Yes
-Reliability: Excellent
- How is the finish holding up: Not a problem for me.
- Is it easy to field strip and clean: Yes.
Buy one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not much I can add to comments already stated but . . .

-Shooting comfort of the pistol (is it comfortable in the hand, to shoot?) Yes, very comfortable and only minimally snappier than the Glock 26.
-Ease of carry - Diminsions only marginably different than Glock 26 but actually a lighter weapon. Easy to conceal even in pants pockets.
-Reliability - Great! With over 1500 rounds of various ammo through one P99cAS, and over 750 rounds through the other, no malfunctions in either.
- How is the finish holding up - Finish shows no variance at all however, only owed each since first part of October 2005 and thus far I have only carried in an inside-the-pocket holster.
- Is it easy to field strip and clean - Very!. Just as easy as the Glocks.

Although you didn't ask, as stated earlier (more than once - and I certainly concur) the accuracy is awesome and I as well will state the AS trigger is one great system!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, as Glockguy said, the P99c is surprisingly accurate. Easily as accurate as one of my full-size Berettas or my SIG P228. Who would have thought that a subcompact would be one of my most accurate pistols?

ciadst

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive had a P99 9mm AS on backorder for 4 weeks now from Impact and then I came across the deal CDNN was having on new P99 compact 9mm AS and I couldnt pass it up so I ordered one Yesterday. It should be in the next day or so! The compact will get me buy untill the fullsize arrives! lol I sure hope I like the P99's as I have never fired on! Im not too worried about it though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Likewise... I ordered a P99c 9mm AS from CDNN yesterday and plan on using it as my CCW. I'm hoping it will delight me as much as my P88 does, but for different reasons. I'm normally not a fan of polymer frame guns but for concealed carry in a hot and humid climate I think they are a wise choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah depending on how comfortable the fullsize is concealable Im gonna wear both! If the P99 fullsize doesnt work out as my CCW Ill use the compact with a IWB holster and get something else for the ankle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also ordered a P99c AS from CDNN on the 14th along with (4) extra mags.

This pistol was highly recommended by someone that REALLY knows firearms. I can't wait to get it and I feel that it will serve me well as my new CCW.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a IWB holster for CCW?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased mine in late July '05. I bought it used (on consignment). It was the best $350 investment I made.

I went to the store looking for that Glock 30 they had on consignment, but it was gone. Then I saw the P99C. When I first saw it, I thought it was a SW99C as its price was $299. I asked to take a look at it, but on closer observation, I saw it IS a Walther P99C AS. So without hesitation, I just bought it ($350 with all the California BS paperwork included).

I've shot about 300 rounds so far. Extremely accurate and reliable (not a single FTF, FTE nor hiccups) plus I went 200 rds continously without cleaning and no problems.

Like I said, the best $350 investment I made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts