Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any clue as to when the P99 compact can be ordered? My local dealer is great but never stocks anything other than stainless PPK/S's. Ordered my 2004 P99 AS through him and he got it within a week. If its available through Walther, he'll get it, but I'll have to order it.

Also, anybody read any reviews so far in US or Foreign press?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks good. Can't wait to see one up close. I've got a question though. Forgive me if this specific question was already addressed as I don't frequent this forum very often. Anyways, looking at the Smith & Wesson website I see that the SW99 Compact weighs in at 23 ounces unloaded. I also read at an unofficial Walther website that the Walther P99 Compact weighs 18.7 ounces unloaded. Are these weight figures accurate? I know I'm talking about a few ounces here, but every little bit counts when you carry concealed all day. Both models were in 9MM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is odd. The picture in this thread does not match the  production model P99C displayed at the Shot Show 2004.  

The slide release, trigger guard and slide grooves are very different.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ledges @ July 23 2004,7:20)]That is odd. The picture in this thread does not match the  production model P99C displayed at the Shot Show 2004.  

The decocker, slide release, trigger guard and slide grooves are very different.
The display guns you see at the SHOT Show, are not necessarily the final production design.  The production slide of the Glock 37 (in .45 GAP) varied significantly from the one that it was first shown with at the SHOT Show.  

Regarding the pic, it looks much closer to the one used in the Walther catalog that was distributed at the Show.  -When I stepped up to the booth I expressed my displeasure about the rounded trigger guard and mentioned my preference for the gun pictured in the catalog.  The marketing guy said that their studies show Americans prefer guns with rounded trigger guards.  (-Lots of people like things in the abstract, but when you put it into context, they don't like it as much.)  He added that they were thinking of rounding the trigger guard on the full-size P99 but he had been hearing comments like mine since the show began.  

-I cannot say it for a fact, but maybe the reception it got at the SHOT Show coupled with the preferences of their European customers influenced Walther's final design for the production model.  

YMMV

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well, the good news is that my local distributor (RSR Wholesale, SW Region - TX/OK/LA) got TWO P99 AS Compacts in. Unfortunately, I bought them both so they don't have any more.

My dealer has his name on any more that come in, and if I am able to get more of them, we'll offer them for sale here.

If you have a dealer that works with RSR, you could have them call and see if they have any available.

So, they are starting to trickle in ....
Larger pictures on my Walther Page

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lucky SOB, they look great! Is the 40 cal version available as well?

BTW What's the full scoop on the Kaehny brothers? Can anyone tell me w/o directing me to incomplete threads on other websites?

·
Registered
12 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ July 23 2004,12:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ledges @ July 23 2004,7:20)]That is odd. The picture in this thread does not match the  production model P99C displayed at the Shot Show 2004.  

The decocker, slide release, trigger guard and slide grooves are very different.
The display guns you see at the SHOT Show, are not necessarily the final production design.  The production slide of the Glock 37 (in .45 GAP) varied significantly from the one that it was first shown with at the SHOT Show.  

Regarding the pic, it looks much closer to the one used in the Walther catalog that was distributed at the Show.  -When I stepped up to the booth I expressed my displeasure about the rounded trigger guard and mentioned my preference for the gun pictured in the catalog.  The marketing guy said that their studies show Americans prefer guns with rounded trigger guards.  (-Lots of people like things in the abstract, but when you put it into context, they don't like it as much.)  He added that they were thinking of rounding the trigger guard on the full-size P99 but he had been hearing comments like mine since the show began.  

-I cannot say it for a fact, but maybe the reception it got at the SHOT Show coupled with the preferences of their European customers influenced Walther's final design for the production model.  

YMMV
Well, I actually prefer the square or rectangular or sharp trigger guard better. JMO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jay's Guns & Accessories has one for sale on gunsamerica for $600.00.

Hopefully, they will be submitted for California approval.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Now for some pics with the new ITI XML Tactical Light! Pretty cool huh

Now my P99AS Compact says:

"Walther"
"Smith & Wesson"
"Springfield Armory"

:confused:

Regards,
James

1 - 20 of 22 Posts