Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ran a 50 rounds box of +P+ 9mm through a P99c (Compact). I know Walther does not recommend this but if it just a wear issue I would like to run a box of 50 through it then just load a carry mag with them. Likely only the first 50 will ever go through the gun. I just don’t want to blow the gun up. If it just wear and 50 +P+’s count as say 500 standard rounds I have no problem with that. If it helps it will be Winchester Ranger LE 127 GR SXT 9mm +P+’s, if someone gives me a go here.

Thanks Experts,

Rockets Out

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
There will be no problem at all doing what you are planning, in fact it is wise to make sure your carry ammo will function properly. If you can afford to feed your P99C a steady diet of Winchester Ranger 127 +P+ ammo, yes, your P99C wear may accelerate, but you will (or shouldn't) break anything.

I carry Gold Dot 124gr +P or Rem 115gr +P+ in mine and shoot it occasionally for function test. I can't afford to shoot a steady diet of it though

James

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, That's what I needed to know.
Rockets Out...

·
Registered
83 Posts
nope. it may wear a bit faster, but it will not KB because of +p+.

+P+ pressures are above what is considered '9X19' according to saami (+P is under the limit, and so is the "hot" NATO 124 grn FMJ).

i wouldn't make +P+ your range round though

frye

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Great, that's 2. I am feeling safe and trust me, it's not going to become a range round

Rockets Out....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have run through about 60 rounds of Corbon 124 +p and the gun was just fine (have shot a couple thousand rounds of wwb range ammo since).

About 6 months ago I spent a lot of time trying to find the consensus of what the best defensive 9mm ammo was, and I swear 80% of what I read said the Cor-Bon +p. But now I don't see anyone talking about it in the different threads (not just here) about the best defensive ammo. I am sure it is somewhat suggestive- but now I feel like I am missing something.

Anyway- my walther p99c shot 1200 rounds in 2 days in a course last month and the gun was great- my fingerrest mags popped apart a couple of times when they were edjected to the concrete, but thats no issue in a defensive situation.

·
Registered
333 Posts
MemphisWalther,
Join the forum below........and click on the Terminal Ballistics Sub forum........and learn everythiing you wanted to know about new Cartridges. There are many Experts on this forum that publish their results here.

Ranger and Gold Dot ammo consistently rate the highest.
But testing is always on going and new bullets and powder combinations are being used all the time. You will find penetration charts and Geltan photos of wound damage ETC.

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi

JF.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still a Cor-bon guy. I seem to find test results all over the place and the problem I find is there is too much art and omitted variables in them but it's the best we got. Gelatin may be close but is not the same as what it claims to mimic, a body. Guntest rates Cor-bons #1 in Gelatin tests (40S&W and I think 9mm), others do not. Then you have the problem of a heavy coat plugging some brands hollow points so they don't expand. Centermass is full of ribs and Gelatin does not duplicate that and even if it could how many angles of rib deflection would you have to try to find out much of anything. Then you want full expansion in the area of vital organs, not to soon, not too late so is your intruder a very heavy guy or skinny as a rail? One brand may work better on one and another on the next perp. If it hits a rib, and centermass it likely will which bullets tend to expand and which do not, if it does not expand but tumbles how does that cavity compare. How about a sideways shot where it passes the front ribs, expands for six inches and hits the side ribs, one may want quicker expansion on that shot, heck I don’t know, what I do know is many if not most centermass shots will hit ribs and though I see gelatin as at least a decent clue to stopping power I don’t see it as definitive.

Hey, And sniper350, I'm not giving you crap, as I say it's the best we got to work with and I do use the info also. About all I have concluded from the various tests is I want results with a wad in the hollowpoint so I know it will expand if going through a coat or sweatshirt and I want one that is somewhere in the top of the Gelatin tests. Beyond that there is just too many real world differences in each circumstance to say there is one magic bullet for every common variable.

The +p+'s that I am going to try mimic the ballistics of medium 357 mag load. That seems like a good step up from most 9mm defensive loads if second shot placement is about as quick.

My only real point here is there are some real dogs out there, if it does not expand well at all in gelatin forget it, get something somewhere around the tops in tests, read more than one test and make sure you choice is way up there in most of them but don't endlessly look for the number one magic bullet because there aint one. Some people seem to think if they endlessly search for the magic bullet it will be so far above the rest it's like a BB vs a Nuke. I think most would be better served finding one that is in the top group of most tests, then quit your search for a year and go work on your shot placement and double taps.

With total respect to sniper350 (And heck yea, I am heading to your link)

Rockets Out....

·
Registered
333 Posts
I totally agree with Rockets.....that Geletin tests are NOT always representitive of what happens with Terminal Ballistics in the "real" world. But scientists looking for methods to test terminal ballistics in the lab, mostly have gravitated to the Geletin Block.

Using this method of testing........ scientists were able to provide the firearms community with a neat, consistent and repeatable results. The trouble with that IMHO, is that nothing about a bullet's "actions" after striking a human body is neat and repeatable. In the real world, I came to expect the unbelievable when it came to a bullets tragectory in the human body. I have seen bullets that have actually taken a 90 degree "right turn" after striking a rib. Rockets correctly points out how the human body is filled with all sorts of differing masses and hard objects.

So where does that leave our testing......... in a not so perfect " geletin block". Todays bullet manufacturers spend most of their time designing bullets that perform well in this make believe body [ Ballistics Geletin ].

So with this not so perfect [ again IMHO ] method of testing, we have a small group of dedicated men trying to give us the best guidence available ---as to what cartridge will do the best job at what it was designed to do.

The testers on the Tactical Forum are EXPERTS in the field and do testing for the Military and a lot of Gov't agencies. These are not writters in some gun magazine. They have no "dog in the hunt" so to speak......their goal is to provide the best info. available about claims made about any ammo.

Like Rockets has pointed out........go to this web site........choose any cartridge near the top of the performance list........and you will do well. To my knowledge there is NO magic bullet--just yet..........so there are many good bullets to choose from. But also be aware, there are also a lot of poor performers out there you don't want to be caught dead with, because if you do.......dead is probably what they will get you.

JF.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting site, you just might get me to change ammo.

Rockets Out....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts