Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had three P99's over the years, fell on some hard times financially about 3-4 years ago and had to sell them. I'm back on my feet financially and want to buy another one. I realize its the 'trifecta' of bad timing right now, making the prices of good P99's higher than ever: 1) pandemic/civil unrest 2) election/political fears 3) lack of availability due to rumors of discontinuing the P99 for sale in the U.S. - Nothing like jumping on the 'buy gold' bandwagon when prices are high!

I've narrowed my selection, simply for future collectability (and personal preference) to a 1st generation P99AS preferably marked 'Carl Walther' or 'Interarms' for the import marks. I have a few questions that hopefully someone here can answer:

1) Has anyone ever seen a OD green frame P99AS marked 'Carl Walther' or 'Interarms' as the importer?
2) I am assuming all the 1st gen P99's have the smaller paddle magazine release?
3) Which of those two importer marks are the rarest?

Thanks for you expertise - hopefully I can find one of these in decent shape.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I can answer #2 for you - yes all of them that were not aftermarket modified have the smaller paddle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a 1st generation OD marked Carl Walther that I purchased NIB in 2000. View attachment 95028
Excellent! Thank you for responding, I’ve been holding out for one with this configuration but wasn’t 100% they even existed. Your timing was perfect, I was looking at one on Gunbroker (Smith & Wesson import) but I’ll hold out for the one I really want!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1) No, to the best of my knowledge OD Green Frames started with Carl Walther, LLC import markings. All Interarms P99s were black frame.
2) Yes, All Original P99 Gen 1 - small paddles
3) Carl Walther USA LLC Alexandria/VA import markings are fairly rare, followed by Walther USA LLC Springfield MA where were interim import markings when S&W took over imports, but hadn't started marking them "Smith & Wesson" yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I still have one of these also, AA date code.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Here's an original green one for sale:

Wow, that's quite optimistic. Guess I'd sell mine for that price too ;) and mine has Mepro Night Sights. I'll have to watch that auction.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cool that you have the wood back strap, I remember when they used to sell those. I have on one my OD 1st Generation as well.
I got my oak grip insert from Earl years ago. Almost impossible to find them today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts