Walther Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
MR9s

I've only ever picked up Caniks at gun shops and have been impressed. Got close to buying a TP9SFX a few months ago but had some other commitments.

A month or so ago, I picked up my second Magnum Research MR9 at a local pawn shop for $325 "out the door". It was missing it's front sight and box, but I had sights at home. This one was the long-slide (4.5") version which is why I wanted it. My other one is newer 4" version.

I bought the other "like new" with box and everything for about the same price after shipping on Gunbroker, so I'm pleased with the $ vs. value ratio. I really like having them take the same mags as my primary PPQ/M1. I really feel like they're very "under-valued" since most people have no idea what they are. Maybe some day I'll add the S&W SW99 to my Walther clone collection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have Caniks and they are a huge value for the price.I totally agree with you about tha MR9.
I will add a SW99 to my stable at some point also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Canik

Does Canik still produce any pistols with the decocker ?

Most of the earlier Canik TP9s had a decocker. Just look for the area on top of the slide just in front of the rear sight. If there's a "button" there, it has one. They tend to be bigger than the ones on my P99 and MR9 going over the top to the other side, so I suppose you could call it "ambi" :).

However, the ones I've seen aren't like the Walther/Magnum Research. There's no restrike capability. If you decock, that trigger's dead till you rack the slide again. There are so many different models of the Canik that it's possible that one or more has restrike, but it's a common complaint about them. I'm sure you can find videos and articles talking about it.

Other than that, they are very similar to Walthers. There's even been videos of people interchanging the slides and have it work!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Canik TP9DA has a decocker and the same trigger modes as the Walther P99AS. The decocker button was also redesigned on the TP9DA to only be on the left side of the slide. The version before this (TP9V2) had a decocker that could be reached on either side of the slide.

The Caniks also use a larger grip frame (longer grip) with a push button mag release, and their own proprietary mags (18 round).

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The Caniks also use a larger grip frame (longer grip) with a push button mag release, and their own proprietary mags (18 round).

Well, there goes my notion of getting a KelTec Sub2000 with the Canik mag adapter and using it in tandem with the PPQ or P99.

Oh well.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Ok, so here's the story; as you can see, I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000. It's a Beretta mag version. My intention was to drill/cut a mag-catch in the higher location to also fit my "classic" style handguns. Then one day I noticed that the Beretta's mag-catch location wasn't a lot lower than the Walthers, so I started playing around. To make a long story shorter, I turned the catch upside-down and did some filing to the bottom of the grip and there is the result.

It's not finished yet, but it mostly works. You can see from the images that show it with a Walther 17round mag in it. And it catches. There are still some issues though.

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
I modified Beretta 30 round mags years ago. Added a 'new' PPQ M1 latch hole to the mag. The location and size of this new hole is of course 'critical'. The top edge of the hole is what locks the mag in and more importantly, locks it in at the correct height. The other critical thing to keep in mind is to keep the new hole as small as possible so as to NOT get caught by the Beretta 'match catch' when inserting the mag.

A quick search revealed one of my modified Beretta mags. I've got better pictures, I'll just have to look thru some more folders.

·
Registered
48 Posts
S2K

Yup, I saw some of your nice work on in both your's and olsoul's which apparently is your handiwork as well! I'll most definitely do the Beretta 30 rounder as well as the 20s too.

I'm really hoping that I can get my little project to have the Sub2000 take Walther classic mags though and have a PCC that I don't have to have another set of mags to feed!

I'll know more when I get the last MCarbo part and get into it's inerts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here are some pics comparing the TP9V2 and P99 side by side. Not the greatest magazine pic for comparison, and at the time of my previous post I was unaware of an interest in mag compatibility.

upload images url

Have heard of Canik owners modifying Beretta mags. Seems, Beretta, Sig, CZ use a very similar magazine body but with variations of followers, feed lips and mag catch holes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here are some pics comparing the TP9V2 and P99 side by side. Not the greatest magazine pic for comparison, and at the time of my previous post I was unaware of an interest in mag compatibility.

upload images url

Have heard of Canik owners modifying Beretta mags. Seems, Beretta, Sig, CZ use a very similar magazine body but with variations of followers, feed lips and mag catch holes.

That seems to be about what I've noticed just looking at Caniks in stores.

The image linked has 4 mags in it. The 2 on either end are Walther/MR "classic" with a Beretta 18rd (middle-left) and a Sig 17+2rd (middle-right). All The bodies are similar enough to fit just fine in my PPQ and MR9s as well as the Kel-Tec S2K. I'd say getting the catch right is a matter of precision measured from the top. The length shouldn't be an issue since it appears that Walthers being a "compact" (G19) sized firearm has the shortest grip. To get the S2K to take my Walther mags, I had to file down the grip that was designed to take the "Multi-mag".

·
Premium Member
13,495 Posts
The original 18 round TP9 mags were shorter and fit and worked perfectly in PPQ M2's. At some point Canik lengthened the pistol magwell and mag. When I use the longer mags I make a kydex spacer that slides down the mag to take up the extra space and provide a positive stop when slamming a mag into the magwell.

I use these spacers on my Beretta 30 rounders, Sig P226 20 rounders and the later Canik 18/20 rounders.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts