Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is which clone would you consider better quality wise a MR9 or a Canik TP9SF 1 series ?
Both can be had for around the same $ which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
How is that even a question? The MR9 of course. Made with a grip made by Walther in Germany, with a slide and barrel assembly made in the US by Magnum Research that's even more accurate than the original Walther one. Also, paddle mag release. Vs. something made in Turkey and without a license from Walther.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If a US/Walther collaboration is .”best” then maybe the S&W 99. Don’t have any extensive experience with the MR9, but they seem highly regarded. The S&W seems to catch some hate.

That being said, there have been known issues with some of the Canik pistols, with regard to being over-sprung with regard to recoil springs, (seems to have been addressed) and striker breakage, (also seems to have been addressed by going to fully machined strikers).

I have had a Canik TP9V2 for a few years that I picked up used and cheap. Had a hard time finding a Walther at the time. Had low expectations of the pistol. Shot the snot out of it for 2,000 rounds, without cleaning. Ran really well until about 1,700-1,800 round range, and began to fail to fully go in to battery. Added some oil, but still resisted cleaning it. Ran fine again. Cleaned it up after the 2,000 round “challenge” was complete. Still like it as a range pistol. Wouldn’t discount it as a viable light duty piece.

Best is to keep looking and get the Walther.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I _am_ considering adding a SW99 to my collection, if I ever have spare money again when one of them comes up for sale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had an eye out for a SW99 also,but al I see are beat to hell used guns in .40cal forsale .
Yesterday at the Gunshow I found a used Walther P99 .40 that bubba had dremelled off the rail like a hungry Beaver for$499
I guess I struggle with this because at the same show, new PPQ's both 4" and SC models can be had nib for the same $499.

I am working on the deal for thE MR9,wish me luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
How is that even a question? The MR9 of course. Made with a grip made by Walther in Germany, with a slide and barrel assembly made in the US by Magnum Research that's even more accurate than the original Walther one. Also, paddle mag release. Vs. something made in Turkey and without a license from Walther.
Have you ever owned or shot a Canik TP9SF?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you ever owned or shot a Canik TP9SF?
Not who you were addressing. The closest I’ve owned to the SF is the TP9SA. Pistol was on sale and I won a gift card at a sporting goods store. So I went about $75 out of pocket to give the Canik a try. Decided to run as many types of 9mm as I could through it for several months. Never missed a beat. Seemed to have decent accuracy. Probably the “most controversial/hated” Canik of the TP9 lineup, because it is single action only and has a decocker, which many internet experts have determined creates a dangerous likelihood of being activated in a stressful encounter and will lead to the user having a dead trigger and non-active pistol. There are ways to block the decocker from being useable if it really bothers folks.

Summary is: pistol was inexpensive, has been boringly reliable, eating everything I ever fed it, and it shows some decent accuracy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not who you were addressing. The closest I’ve owned to the SF is the TP9SA. Pistol was on sale and I won a gift card at a sporting goods store. So I went about $75 out of pocket to give the Canik a try. Decided to run as many types of 9mm as I could through it for several months. Never missed a beat. Seemed to have decent accuracy. Probably the “most controversial/hated” Canik of the TP9 lineup, because it is single action only and has a decocker, which many internet experts have determined creates a dangerous likelihood of being activated in a stressful encounter and will lead to the user having a dead trigger and non-active pistol. There are ways to block the decocker from being useable if it really bothers folks.

Summary is: pistol was inexpensive, has been boringly reliable, eating everything I ever fed it, and it shows some decent accuracy.

If I ever get the desire to buy another striker pistol, it would be a Canik. Currently they are just dripping in value to dollar spent. Match grade barrel, great trigger out of the box, fit and feel just like a Walther P99....It is the type of pistol you would want to have as an EDC. Should it be stolen or confiscated for some reason, you are not out a lot of money for a highly reliable pistol that could take all the knocks etc that a carry piece gets. I have never fired or handled for that matter an HK, but then the value to dollar spent in my world is out of whack on that pistol.

I should note I own the TP9SF in FDE. The only "knock" I have on the gun is it is too big for a CC gun. They do have a full line of sizes under the SF, have a new one out that has the ability to convert from a compact to a sub compact. I am not into sub compacts at all, P99 size is just right for my tastes.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I handled the Caniks and didn't like the way they felt in hand. The MR9 did feel much better. Even though I heard good things about both, I chose not to half step and went ahead with getting the P99 and P99 compact. I haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both of them

I own a P99 (.40) and recently purchased the TP9SF (9mm)..... for the dollars, the Canik is the clear winner in this match-up. Both were purchased new and looking at the quality, they are equal. Both shoot well and function perfectly so that only leaves the price differential for reasonable consideration. I could buy 2 Canicks for the price of 1 P99! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I looked at the Canik's when I was considering the P99 but like muckaleewarrior71 went with the P99 and P99c both in 9mm. They are extremely solid additions and I shoot them rather well. Love the decocker and the paddles!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
All the ones I've seen on GunBroker, as well as my own, seem to be around 6,000. I wonder how many were made. Same exact words apply to my Sig/Mauser M2.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts