Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, do you have any suggestions for what I should use/buy to clean the P99? What do you use? I've never cleaned a gun before in my life, time to learn!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use Shooter's Choice or MPro-7 as my cleaner. The former is more effective, but has more odor. To clean the favious parts, I use a combination of cottom swabs, pipe cleaners, and patches. The patches are generally for the bore, and I use the appropriate jag attached to a Pro-Shot stainless steel cleaning rod. I no longer have any slotted tips, as they are worthless. A jag does a much better job at cleaning the barrel. When I am done I lightly lube with Break-Free, and wipe off any excess with a slightly oily rag.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get yourself a nice Otis cleaning kit. The Universal model one is a nice choice for an all around kit as you can use it for pistols or rifles.

As for fluids......I personally use Shooters Choice for a cleaner, and FP-10 for a lube and protectant. Works for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, those look good. I ordered the one made for 9mm pistols, since I don't have any other guns (yet!). Are the fluids that come with the Otis kit good enough?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess you already got the cleaning kit but if I was you I would take a look at a bore snake. It's not all that much of a difference for a pistol but it sure cuts the bore cleaning time to a fraction of what it is with the rods.

I just use Hoppe's (still have a bunch of it-- might switch to something else when I run out) for nitro solvent and rem oil for lubrication. I also run some brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) through the bore before I put my bore snake through it.

Unless you already figured out your lubrication points I recommend you download the SW99 manual which has an illustration with lubrication points. I'd also put a little lube on the barrel hood (the "rectangular" part of the barrel)

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've got kinda a cleaning question!

I went a little nuts with the BreakFree when I was cleaning my P99 a few days ago, and there seems to be a film of the stuff underneath/behind my extractor arm (where the loaded chamber indicator is).

By manually actuating the extractor arm with a probe, I kinda forced the stuff to ooze out, but its not really oozing out anymore, and I can see a bead or film of it in between the extractor arm and the slide body when the arm is actuated.

Can the extractor be removed to get rid of the excess breakfree? Any ways to get the excess out without removing the extractor arm? Is that thin film okay to have there? Some suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

-stunks

·
Registered
178 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid @ June 16 2004,5:34)]Thanks, those look good.  I ordered the one made for 9mm pistols, since I don't have any other guns (yet!).  Are the fluids that come with the Otis kit good enough?
The Otis kit comes with Breakfree CLP in an Otis branded bottle.  Breakfree is a good all around CLP, but I personally prefer not to use CLP's that contain teflon (for exactly the reason stunksinatl posted above).  Hence.....my choice of FP-10.

Many people do like Breakfree though, and it will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd strip the slide (striker assembly, rear sight) and give the whole thing a good bath in hot water with some Simple Green. Once it's clean, blow dry and re-lube/protect.

Just be aware that the Simple Green will remove all trace of protectant on the metal so re-lubing is a must.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OTIS Tactical kit, MP7, FP10, Qtips, brushes.
Don't overdo it with Lube. You don't want it splashin' you in the face!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts