Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a P99 9*19 two months. It is my very first handgun, I have very limited experience with handguns. When I first got it I think I put to much oil on everywhere, the two holes on the right behind what I believe is called the "hood" of the barrel oil oozes out should I be concerned about that? Also is there anyway you people can show me with "pictures" exactly what I am suppose to oil. I thought of using gun scrubber in that striker box and assembly but I am afraid of taking the paint off of loaded chamber indicator and striker cocked indicator, what do you think.

GREAT GUN BY THE WAY

Thank You & Take Care'
'
LandLover

·
Registered
1 Posts
from http://www.praxagora.com :
Due to the minimal amount of metal-to-metal contact between the slide and frame, P99s require minimal (not "none") lubrication. The portion inside of the slide forward of the barrel hood, the barrel's locking lugs, and the frame rails should be lightly lubricated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From a practical standpoint ( I carry a .40 P-99 on-duty), if you have oil oozing from somewhere, it's probably too much. I use a minimal amount on friction areas and a drop or two on the recoil spring. Anything more than that collects lint, dirt and other crud.
My cleaner of choice (for my handgun) is a Break-Free scrub followed by a 50/50 Simple Green rinse. The Break Free gets all the powder and carbon off and the Simple Green removes the oily residue. I have used this combo on all my duty weapons for several years and it keeps the finish nice.
Gun Scrubber is great for guns with a lot of buildup or with a lot of hard to reach places. I Use it on my AR-15 because it doesn't have a nice finish to screw up. Gun Scrubber will remove paint from chamber indicators.

Congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Besides what has already been said, I clean with MP7, then very lightly oil.  In warmer months, I use grease on the rails.
No oozing of any oil. I wipe down the exposed areas of the slide with a silicone cloth.
About every 6 mths, it's a good frame scrubbing with the Simple Green/water solution (blow dry, lightly oil).

·
Registered
122 Posts
The P-99 manual is little help so I use the lubrication points for a Glock as a guide.  They are similar.  Like a Glock, the P-99 does not require a lot of lubrication.  I have had my P-99's for almost three years and have not had any problems.      

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have an excess of oil in the works, try blowing it out with compressed air. I'm finding Tetra gun grease does an exceptional job on the slide rails.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Grease, hmmm....
I never really tried grease on the slide rails. Sounds interesting. What type/brand grease does anyone reccomend? Do you have a problem with lint, ect. build-up? How long will the grease last?
I read on the PPK posts that some members do this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use Brownell's Action Lube.
No build-up of dirt. I only use a very thin film.
Lasts at least 200 rnds or so (that's when I clean it anyways).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts