Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first time on the forum. Just bought 2 new Walthers, P99 and PPK. I've heard alot of stuff about using heavy loads 124gr or better to break in a P99 9mm but the manuel says nothing. Can you help? What should I use, how many rounds before it's broke in? Any one have any luck getting Smith/Walther usa to switch 10 round mags for 16 rounders? Thanks,

·
Registered
310 Posts
You didn't say whether your P99 is 9,mm or .40, but I started my P99 AS 9mm out on 115 gr WWB from WallyWorld and 500+ rounds later, not so much as a hiccup!

I did find with my Sig P228 that it didn't like the Remington UMC 115 gr rounds at first, so I switched to 124 gr WWB for a while. But after a few hundred rounds I went back to 115 gr and never had another problem.

I'd go ahead and use whatever you were planning on...if you have problems, then you can always switch to a heavier round.

As far as the mags...I don't know anyone who has tried. Mine came with two 15-rd factory mags. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask them....

Enjoy your Walthers!
Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 9mm AS Titanium. Pretty much exactly what you have. By 500+ rounds later you mean it was realiable after 500 rounds or it was good to go right out of the box?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recomendations for reliable defense loads to start proofing it with. Speer Gold Dot? Cor Bon? Winchester 127gr +P+, Hydra shock +P? Thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I mean I've shot 500+ rounds (mostly the 115 gr FMJ) without a single problem. I'd consider it completely reliable....and I did from day one!

As far as self-defense loads, I have Federal 124 gr +p Expanding Full Metal Jacket rounds loaded. I did a little "testing" with them and I was very pleased. I put the results on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/ballistics.html

I think they'll be more than sufficient should the need ever arise.

Jim

·
Registered
539 Posts
Doesn't matter dude. Just get some Winchester USA range ammo ($16 for 100 over here at Walmart). You can even shoot cheap all-lead bullets but for health reasons I recommend you use copper jacketed bullets only.

Then again if you're rich you can start popping the Hydra Shock from day 1 and use it for target practice :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Never really paid much attention to how I broke in a new gun. Then I realized I do go through a little bit of extra work in doing so.

The bullets I use are usually what I have on hand. I like to shoot a variety to work the gun with various loadings. Some times one gun will prefer, or dislike one load or another... I never start with lead, always a jacket round...

What I pay more attention to is cleaning. I clean the firearm from stem to stern as much to see where things are and how they are. Over the years this has served me well as I've found on numerous occasions loose screws, metal shavings and in the case of used guns, some broken parts.
Then I lubricate in the appropriate locations and reassemble...

For the first shooting, I normally only shoot a dozen rounds, then repeat the cleaning process, this time I add looking for differences in the parts from my first cleaning, like rub marks and wear... The barrel gets some extra attention also. Even after only a dozen rounds, I scrub it good and give it either a Teflon treatment (like CLP) or a moly treatment... Then fire it again, this time I shoot ~50 rounds. Clean it again... This time ~100 rounds, clean it again... Now, I can start to feel comfortable with my hand gun, or can isolate a problem... All the while, I've shot different loads, noting what it likes and dislikes...

I guess I do have kind of a breaking in process...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK the P99 is up and running It fed 100 Remington FMJ 115gr, 25 Blazer 115gr FMJ, 10 124gr +P Gold dots, 10 135gr (yes that's the weight) Hydroshocks. Not most guns that mention ammo types not to use mention hydroshocks (ie Sphynx). 0 Malfuntions. Also I read the P99 had problems coming into battery with Speers because apparently they don't taper the case the way 9mm was designed. I really thought I'd get it with those, glad I was wrong. I guess the PPK has me paranoid now. I'm happy. Has anyone ever found a good english translation of the german police test/military test of the P99 versus the P2000? I saw an article that looked good on one of the fan sites but it was in german. Thoughts. Anyone who can point me in the direction of info covering why walther did not get the contract or any torture/military test data, would be greatly appreciated. My friend had his P2000 out there and another an XD. The P2000 seems tighter and is obviously a very good pistol but the barrel seems short, the trigger seems inferior and based on the accuracy tests I've seen it's close but consistantly less accurate then the P99. Ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also hows every ones Titanium coat finish holding up? Probably should have asked that before I bought the damn thing, but none the less. Hows it holding to wear and tear and most importantly sweat?

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ April 02 2005,6:39)]I mean I've shot 500+ rounds (mostly the 115 gr FMJ) without a single problem. I'd consider it completely reliable....and I did from day one!

As far as self-defense loads, I have Federal 124 gr +p Expanding Full Metal Jacket rounds loaded. I did a little "testing" with them and I was very pleased. I put the results on my website, here: http://users.adelphia.net/~navy87guy/ballistics.html

I think they'll be more than sufficient should the need ever arise.

Jim
Hey Jim did you Carry your phone book to the range or you shoot in your place. ha ha ha ha lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts