Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is my first post on this forum and though I have not even picked up my Walther I wanted to get it off to the best possible start

I read on a different forum somewhere that people recommend breaking in the first 500 rounds or so with 147 grain bullets.  Then again many people say they broke theirs in with 115 and have yet to have a single problem.

What's your personal experiene with this and do you subsequently think it's advantageous to use higher grain ammo in the early times?

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the board AVO,
I have heard that 124 and 147gr rounds are better during the break-in period and it helps to prevent malfunctioning as the weapon cycles.

Since I purchased my 9mm P99, I have used nothing but 115gr ammunition. In 3500+ rounds, I have not had a single failure to feed or eject.

When I first got my P99 I asked the same question to the board memebers here. The general consensus was that 115gr rounds function fine in a brand new P99 almost all the time.

I find that 115gr ammunition is cheaper than 124 and 147gr versions. If I were you, I'd try out a few boxes of 115gr. If they don't work out for you then I would consider the heavier rounds.

Hope this helps!

-Yoshi

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd just pick up a few boxes of different brands and weight and try them all. Find what works best in your gun, both functionaly and accuracy wise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our 2 9 mm's are beyond 4000 rounds without any malfunctions. The first few rounds were Winchester white boxed 115 gr and Fiocchi 123 gr. For accuracy the Fiocchi is definitely better, but no malfunctions either way. If you are going to reload I can suggest some ridiculously accurate full power loads. For low price new target ammo the Fiocchi are hard to beat. I have seen them on line for $5.75 per box of 50 rounds. If I didn't enjoy reloading this is what I would be shooting in our P-99's.

Good luck and lots of fun with your new P-99!

·
Registered
76 Posts
My first 150 rounds were 115 grain ammo, cheapest I could find and during that 150 I only had one problem with one round which when put into a different location in the magazine fired fine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have used only 115 grain FMJ Winchester value pack 9 mm and some Sellier & Bellot 115 grain FMJ in my P99 since buying it about a year ago. It broke in perfectly and has literally never had any type of malfunction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, Thanks for the replies everybody.

Sent in for my all black P99 (9mm) from Doc's Walthers today.

Sadly, I got ripped off at the dealer though on the transfer for $65!!
I then went down the street and found a shop that would do it for $30 but the original place (a pawn shop) would not give me my money back. They did have a no refunds/exchanges notice on their receipt but I told them I wanted to cancel the deal within 20 minutes of paying them.
I think it was a ridiculous decision by the boss and I will file complaints after I receive my firearm.

I guess I should have done more thorough research first but has anybody had a similar experience or suggestions/ideas/comments?

·
Registered
76 Posts
uumm..what complaints and with who? short of making it a lawsuit nothing will happen. also it said in plain and simple terms that there were no refunds.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I guess you'll have to chock this up to lessons learned.

If you can, try and find a friend who holds an FFL.  I have a friend who transfers for me for only $10.

Give us a range report when you get your P99. We'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I certainly will give you an update as soon as I take it out.

As far as the complaint goes: I know it said no returns but it's still pretty crappy business ethics if you ask me. I will probably call the Attorney General of Florida and the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
I agree that most likely nothing will happen but I simply refuse to take this stuff lying down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello,
just bought a P-99as in.40sw,been using american eagle 180g fmj at the range.good or bad?thinking of switching to federal 155g range ammo.this will match the 155g hydra-shok i plan to use for carry.any thoughts?

thnx,
mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts