Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Going to the range for the first time with my P99AS this weekend. Need to know what brand of ammo is recommended for break-in (to prevent FTEs). The P99 FAQ recommends anything above 124g for the first 300 rounds so that's what i plan to shoot. Any particular brands? I'm thinking Federal fmj and maybe some Speer Gold jhp (also in 124g).

Thx!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You should not have any problems. Shoot what you like. My only problem I ever had was with some light reloads, otherwise not a glitch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Jan. 20 2006,12:31)]You should not have any problems. Shoot what you like. My only problem I ever had was with some light reloads, otherwise not a glitch.
What did you mean by 'light reload' problems? Is this the same as FTF?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I broke mine in with almost 1000 rounds of Blazer 115 grain. Not a single FTF/FTE the whole session. Actually I've only had 2 FTF's EVER and one was missing the primer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've put about 800 rds of winchester value white box 9mm through my p99 @ 115 grain with no problems whatsoever

·
Registered
821 Posts
I don't have a 9mm, but I would tend to think that watching one's wrists (limpwristing) during break in would be more than adequate if using 115 gr ammunition.

-stunks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You should not have any problems. Shoot what you like. My only problem I ever had was with some light reloads, otherwise not a glitch.

What did you mean by 'light reload' problems? Is this the same as FTF?
No. FTE.
Two possibilities: Since I had shot revolvers for years, I could have been limp-wristing. I don't think so because I no difficulty with any other ammo except for my reloads. Second, I was using a suggested starting powder charge with a heavy bullet and had FTE issues. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken that batch of reloads (500 rds) and put them on the shelf until after I had broken in the pistol. But what did I know, I thought the charge was too light. So I shot all of them, ONE AT A TIME. How do I know it was due to improper break in? Because I use that same load today with no problems. Problem was not the load but the break in. Heck, I even ordered a lighter spring from Walther thinking that was the problem but again it was just that I needed to fire my weapon more. Well at the time I was unaware of anything called a "break in" period. But after several hundred rounds the recoil spring loosened up some and I haven't had any problems with any reloads or any ammo, period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts