Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see pics of the rifling in other peoples P99. When I look at mine and my glock they look almost identical. My other previous pistols the rifling looks like my rifles, spiral land and groove but this one is like my glock :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
subzero
I would like to see a picture of your P99 and the barrel.....
P99 are not Polygonal .. they should be regular land and groove....
what date code is your P99... is it original.... can you give us the serial range... and is it a "AS" or "QA"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe I`m wrong but the rifling in my other pistols looked like my rifles this one looks close to the glock to me

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have no clue about Glocks... but I have a few HK's ... and that polygonal rifling looks different....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Looking at your picture, if the P99 is on the left, that is definately rifling. I can even see that you have copper fouling on the high edges of the lands that needs to be removed, you wouldn't see that as easy on polygonal barrels.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I know there isn't a huge difference in appearance, but on your pic I see two distinct orange lines outlining each rifling. This is from copper residue from you jacketed bullets. On the Glock .45 barrel I see mulitiple lines in the rifling showing more than just one land and one valley, but multiple levels from the highest point to the lowest point of rifling. You can see this in my previous picture also, except mine has no copper fouling. So IMHO your P99 barrel is rifled as it should be. Also, if you are ever able to recover bullets fired from each barrel you will see a big difference in the marks left on the bullets. I think a ballistics expert may say that it is harder to I.D. a gun with poly rifling since it doesn't leave as distinct a mark on the bullet as regular rifling does. Are there ballistics guys out there to back my statement up?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
All Walther P99 barrels are conventional land and groove rifled. Not polygonal like Glock/HK.

James

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
All Walther P99 barrels are conventional land and groove rifled. Not polygonal like Glock/HK.

James
Not quite "all". I have examined at least one V-series P99 prototype that was rifled with Metford-style (H&K didn't invent it) rifling. It was rifled, all right, but the shadows were the only thing that gave it away. I saw another that had its bore drilled off-center in the barrel (I don't recall if it was at 6 or 12 o'clock) presumably to compensate for a machining error on the slide.

I suspect the polygonal rifling was another one of those "keeping up with the H&Ks (or Glocks)" experiments. But some of those barrels--it would not have been economic to make just one--may have found their way into production guns.

This was not unusual; Walther shamelessly copied the flat wire spring of the Glock to obtain the rate they wanted, a feature that Glock shamelessly had copied from a much older Austrian design--the Steyr Hahn.
M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts