Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a beautiful unfired 1st Gen P99 .40s&w, but it only came with the backstrap that was installed (medium).
Now most pictures I've seen make the backstraps look like they are made of polymer. The one that came on my P99 is metal.
Was the 1st Gen .40s&w P99 ever released with metal backstraps?
It has the Interarms importer marking and a date code of KI on the frame.

I've looked around here and on the rest of the internet and couldn't find any info on this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

As for a description, the backstrap looks identical to other stippled P99 backstraps.
It has a black finish on it that has just a slight bit more shine to it than the frame.

A company called Taylor Freelance makes metal backstraps for the PPQ/P99. That's probably what you have.

I don't think its that one. It doesn't have that type of texture.
It looks exactly like a normal P99 backstrap, except that when you touch it you can tell its metal.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
That is a very early .40 P99 judging by the serial number and the "Interarms" Import marking. Someone over the years swapped the original "split-trigger" to the newer design, which is good if this is to be used as a defensive pistol.

That looks like a stock P99 backstrap that may have hardened over the years. Just from looking at the pictures, I would have no reason to believe that it is metal. I guess my question would be, why do you think it is a metal backstrap?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That is a very early .40 P99 judging by the serial number and the "Interarms" Import marking. Someone over the years swapped the original "split-trigger" to the newer design, which is good if this is to be used as a defensive pistol.

That looks like a stock P99 backstrap that may have hardened over the years. Just from looking at the pictures, I would have no reason to believe that it is metal. I guess my question would be, why do you think it is a metal backstrap?
Mostly the shiny finish, the general feel, and it's cold when I first pick it up. Not the whole grip just the backstrap. Feels like touching the metal slide not rubber.

You definitely have me even more curious now. I've tapped my fingernail on it, and it didn't feel like rubber, but If it is extremely hardened rubber, I don't want to risk damage by really digging in to it with my nail or a tool. I need to get a punch so I can take it off and check out the under side where a small blemish wouldn't be so big of a deal.

It has a date code of KI which I've read translates to 1998.
I'm curious what makes you think the trigger has to have been swapped?
I've seen images of other guns with close serials that have the same trigger.
A quick search found this one which has a close serial number, and looks pretty much identical to mine.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
That was the last year that "Interarms" was the importer for these pistols. From what I understand, late 1997, or early 1998 was when the trigger was changed from the split trigger to the newer design. I believe that the .40 P99 pistols started with the 40xxxx serial number, so I believe that this should have been one of the first 2000 .40 P99 pistols that were produced. Judging by the serial number, I thought it was older than a KI date-code pistol, so I may have been mistaken about the trigger there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interesting. Yeah, it looks just like a factory plastic backstrap. I suppose it's possible that metallic backstraps that resemble the plastic ones were made... but, I agree--the little "dots" seem unlikely if it's metal.

Either way, I have considered one of the metal backstraps from Taylor Freelance. I'm guessing they'd fit a P99.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Those plastic/rubber backstraps get harder over time. The surface also take on a higher sheen then the plastic frame has.

Here's my 9mm P99AS Gen 1, has a similar look.........

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Line Gun accessory

Keeping them away from electric motor generated ozone greatly increase their life.

Reactions: King-Goji

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That was the last year that "Interarms" was the importer for these pistols. From what I understand, late 1997, or early 1998 was when the trigger was changed from the split trigger to the newer design. I believe that the .40 P99 pistols started with the 40xxxx serial number, so I believe that this should have been one of the first 2000 .40 P99 pistols that were produced. Judging by the serial number, I thought it was older than a KI date-code pistol, so I may have been mistaken about the trigger there.
I appreciate all of your (and everyone else) help and info!

This is my first actual P99 and even though I have tried to research them as much as I can, there were certain things that I couldn't really find out about elsewhere. Like this is the first place I've read that the standard backstraps are more of a rubber compound. I always thought they were polymer, like the frame, and couldn't find info on what exactly they were made of, elsewhere.

Again, I really appreciate it!

Those plastic/rubber backstraps get harder over time. They also take on a higher sheen finish them the plastic frame.

Here's my 9mm P99AS Gen 1, has a similar look.........

View attachment 104218
Thanks for that photo!
The shine on your backstrap is VERY similar to what I see on mine.

I may have also been tainted by the fact that I have an old P99 gas blowback airsoft pistol, and it definitely has a shiny finish metal backstrap (paint chips show the metal underneath).
When I got my real one, and the backstrap I expected to be polymer, with that textured finish like the frame, was hard, smooth, and shiny and reminded me more of the metal airsoft version, I may have just assumed it was metal as well.
I couldn't really find much info on the net about what material the backstraps were made of, until I found these forums and was able to tap in to the wealth of knowledge that exists here.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
That pistol originally came with 10rd mags due to being made during the AWB. Judging from the pictures, I believe that these are not the original mags that came with the pistol, but I'll ask anyway. What color are the mag followers on those mags?

If they are orange or dark blue, you should purchase the newer design mags with the light blue followers if this is to be used as a defensive pistol. Mags with the orange followers had weak baseplates, and mags with the dark blue followers had an issue where the slide could lock back while there were still rounds in the mag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
(y)
12 round mags with light blue followers.
It came with 2 old 10 rounders, but I bought 5 new 12 rounders from CDNN as soon as I bought the pistol.
Of course I wish I would've noticed that Walther had them in stock, and cheaper, on their own website, but live and learn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well their customer service is... lacking.

I contacted them to order replacement backstraps. After them saying everything was in stock (as well as everything showing in stock on their website) when they went to complete my order, they then told me they only had the small and medium, but should have the large in a couple weeks.
So I said I'd take what they had available, and call back later for the other.
They charged me for the replacements and said that they should ship the next morning and I would receive a tracking number from the USPS when they shipped.

A week later I still had not received the backstraps or any emails from USPS.
So I called back and asked about it.
I was told that they don't provide tracking for orders that are sent at no charge, and it went out and is on it's way. Rather rudely as well.
I then received an email from the CS rep who apologized if he came of as condescending and said that he then saw that I did actually pay for my order.
He said that they were sent via USPS and that if they weren't here by Monday to let him know.

Come Monday still nothing, so I fired off another email Tuesday morning, to let him know.
He then said he didn't know why they weren't delivered yet but they should be here by the end of the week.

I still haven't received anything, backstraps or tracking info, and when I sent another follow up email yesterday, to let him know that they were still not delivered, I have not gotten any response.
19 days now since I ordered and paid for my parts and still nothing, and Walther doesn't seem to care.

VERY disappointed.

UPDATE:
22 days, still no parts, and still no further communication from the "customer service" rep.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts