Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beretta's newest PX4 Storm looks like the closest competitor to P99 AS now (both are DA/SA). It would really be interesting to know how they feel and act side-by-side. Any suggestions about pros and cons for P99 vs PX4 would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of specific questions:
1. PX4 has a rotating/locking barrel; is this really something important or not?
2. Does recoil on PX4 significantly less than on P99 as PX4 bigger/heavier?
3. Who has better reliability – Walter or Beretta?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I had a Cougar 9mm in 1997 or 98, and I sold it after about a year. Granted, it is a slightly different gun, but I didn't see any difference in feeling with the rotating barrel. Gun worked, but the barrel was kind ashort (under 4 inches).

The PX4 has a longer barrel, and is a different gun. BUt, I would not buy one w/o trying first.

Then again, I Know that's what you wanna know about too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haven't shot a Px4, but it looks like the traditional M9 action atop a modular polymer frame.

The Px4 is going to be a little harder to conceal, but by no means impossible.  The trigger I can't comment on firsthand, but can't be too shaby comming from Beretta.  The Px4 squeezes an extra round in the mag.

The Px4 has a couple of things I'm not too sure about.  The safety decocker for starters.  I hate safeties in general, they shouldn't be there IMO.  Second, IF they have to be there, they shouldn't be on the rapidly moving slide if it is a lever actuated safety.  Thirdly, why make the safety on/off positions opposite the standard set by the 1911?  If the Px4 is decock only, disregard this rant.

That said, there is no stronger finish than tennifer, and the Beretta doesn't have it.  I have never noticed the rotating barrel design to decrease recoil, but then the bore axis of the Beretta line of centerfire pistols is awfully high so maybe that cancels out the recoil benefits of the rotating barrel.

The Beretta is cheaper right now, so that's a plus.  The vast majority of shooters spend many times the cost of thier guns on ammo, so that's a non-factor over the long term.

Both are quality names, and the P99 is a quality pistol I stake my life on.  Only time will tell with the Px4, but barring initial teething pains it should be a real winner.

You're gonna have to shoot both, and when you do, give us a range report.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Someone told me that the Storm pistol mags do not fit the Storm Rifle? What's with that, if it is true...if the mags fit both rifle and pistol, then I would favor the Beretta ONLY for this reason...I wish Walther would market a polymer, pistol-caliber, mag exchangeable, carbine, similar to the G22.....

Call it the G99 and make it in 9mm and .40.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not a fan of slide mounted safties, but Beretta is following the European standard set by Walther with the PP, PPK, and P38. Up fire, down safe. The P88C also has the same kind of safety.

I think the PX4 can be modified to decock only, which is a good option if you don't want a safety.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is PX4-G model that has the decocker without manual safety. You don't even need to make any modifications.

Some people (looks like minority in gun forums) actually prefer to have manual safety and PX4-F offers it. It would be nice if P99 QA was available with a manual safety as QA lacks that one level of safety offered in P99 A/S (DA mode) and DAO models...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ Oct. 24 2005,18:00)]Someone told me that the Storm pistol mags do not fit the Storm Rifle? What's with that, if it is true...
Currently that is true, the mags from the Storm pistol do not fit in the Storm carbine.  However, the Storm carbine makes use of  plastic sleeves that can adapt the gun to accept the 92/96 mags or the Cougar mags.

When I was at the last SHOT Show, a Beretta representative promised that Beretta would develop a sleeve to adapt the Storm pistol magazines to the carbine.  That said they have been promising their Carbine Kit for the Neos for the past three years and I've held two, but who knows when we'll see it on the market.

As far as reasoning goes for the incompatibility, I wouldn't be surprised if different design teams went in different directions to solve problems encountered during development.  Beretta seems very slow to get things on the market.  It took them a year or so after the initial Storm carbine in 9mm came out to get the accessories on the market.  It took them more than a year to produce their .45 ACP version of the Storm carbine.  And then the only mags the .45 ACP variant currently uses are 8 rounders that are not commonly encountered.  I can't remember for sure, but I think Beretta has discontinued the pistol.

Redgarding the PX4, I did handle one and it didn't seem like a step up from the other polymer guns already on the market.  It's just a different flavor.  There's no rush to get one.  Wait until a range has one for rent and try before you buy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
"+1" on the try before you buy approach if you can. I had the opportunity today to shoot a friend's PX4 (9mm) while I had a SW99 (.45) with me, and have previously shot his PX4 when I had my P99 (.40; before they started calling them AS) with me. I certainly DO like the PX4, but one of the things I notice immediately is the single action trigger reset length. On my 99's, you only have to let up a little on the trigger after it fires to feel that 'click' on the reset for the next shot. With the PX4, it is quite a bit longer. This is not necessarily a "bad" thing, it's just different.

It really depends on what YOU are looking for. For example, do you like the hammerless aspect of the P99 or do you like the exposed hammer like the PX4? Do you like the idea of a safety (although the PX4 cannot be carried 'cocked & locked') or the point and click operation of the P99? It will be the personal preferences of the shooter in the end, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for your specific questions:

1) Rotating barrel on the PX4 is an evolution of their Cougar series. I think it does help with recoil a little, but the 9mm is fairly tame as it is.

2) I don't think the PX4 will have significantly less recoil than the P99 in similar configs (full size and same caliber).

3) Reliability. It's pretty early to tell on the PX4, but so far those that have them and post about them are VERY positive on them. I would have confidence in Beretta customer service and S&W/Walther response for issues has been outstanding.

FWIW, he traded in a High Power 9mm for his PX4 and REALLY likes it...and the ragged targets also reflect it.

For more opinions on the PX4, look up the fine folks at Beretta Forum in the handgun section. Several of the members there have offered to let others try out their PX4 if they are in the area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts