·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's done! That was a lot of work. Here's some photos:

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p770/Braden_Storrs/IMG_7928_zps754ee84f.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p770/Braden_Storrs/IMG_7940_zps624ba575.jpg

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p770/Braden_Storrs/IMG_7939_zps64cda44b.jpg

The hardest part was replicating the molded inside of the strap. Getting everything to line up and sit properly was a bit tedious. Chisels, files, sanding belts, jigsaws, routers, punches, etc all sorts of stuff was needed. We used an exotic hardwood called Jobillo. One, so it would be strong enough to last a long time, two because that contrasty dark grain is just gorgeous. We routed a channel in the back and then glued in a second piece to do the upper tab that sticks up into the frame. Then shaped it from there. Once it was all sitting in properly we used a belt sander to get it down to the general shape. I used a rasp/file and a knife by hand to get the wood level down to where it needed to be and do the final shaping. That part took a while. I then used three levels of sand paper and some steel wool to get it smooth. Then sealed it with Watco Teak Oil. Whew. I think the work paid off. I'm liking the look and it feels good.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nicely done. Not my thing, but from one wood worker to another i appreciate the craftsmanship. Any pics of the piece removed from the gun?

·
Registered
929 Posts
A touch of class to an already classy pistol. I added a walnut grip insert to my OD P99 and it really sets it off.

Reactions: Unbound

·
Registered
637 Posts
Really well done. Was it difficult getting it to fit? Do you have a tab at the top?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
NICE!

Great look. How many hours did you put in?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WOW!

Chisel out a few more and I'll bet you make some money from forum members.
Rusted bucket and mattewd, I haven't planned on making more yet. Though I wonder if I could have it scanned and then use a machine to cut them out and then I could do the finish work. It would sure speed things up.

I do have a P99c I just got that I think I'll make one for. That's a whole other design to tackle. Though it looks simpler.

·
Premium Member
13,813 Posts
Rusted bucket and mattewd, I haven't planned on making more yet. Though I wonder if I could have it scanned and then use a machine to cut them out and then I could do the finish work. It would sure sheep things up.

I do have a P99c I just got that I think I'll make one for. That's a whole other design to tackle. Though it looks simpler.
I think scanning and computerized milling (cnc) would be an excellent idea. I have no doubt you could sell a few of these.....I'd be in line for some my own self.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think scanning and computerized milling (cnc) would be an excellent idea. I have no doubt you could sell a few of these.....I'd be in line for some my own self.
I'll look into it. See what would be involved. I posted the rest of the behind the scenes photos as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NICE!

Great look. How many hours did you put in?
I didn't pay to close attention but probably 15-20 hours. That wood is very hard and takes a lot of effort to shape by hand.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I'd not mind one made of walnut, but that's only if I had a perfect pistol that didn't have holster wear, scuff marks, or scratches on the grip from lots o'carry time..hate to see the effort and money spent on a nice grip, only to scratch it or mar it, carrying it and bumping something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd not mind one made of walnut, but that's only if I had a perfect pistol that didn't have holster wear, scuff marks, or scratches on the grip from lots o'carry time..hate to see the effort and money spent on a nice grip, only to scratch it or mar it, carrying it and bumping something.
That's why I used the nearly indestructible Jobillo exotic hardwood. Even if if was scratched I just used a oil finish that would be simple to touch up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Unbound

Thanks for the extra pics. Do you work wood for a living? It looks like it would be a nice weekend project. So, how many times have you contemplated checkering that bad bear?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unbound

Thanks for the extra pics. Do you work wood for a living? It looks like it would be a nice weekend project. So, how many times have you contemplated checkering that bad bear?
I thought about adding some texture but didn't think it was worth the extra effort... at least right now :)

This was just a side project. While I enjoy playing around with wood working I am in no way a professional.

Reactions: imaoldfart
1 - 20 of 33 Posts