Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Steyr M9 A1 is a gun I have always been curious about. I have heard good things about it. Any comparisons between it and the P99 would be appreciated especially from those who own both. Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I own both,
My Steyr is 40 and my Walther is 9mm

In my opinion both are superb guns. Each has Tennifer finish. The Steyr has steel sights while Walther uses plastic.

The Steyr has a lower bore axis and less muzzle flip (for me)

Ergonomics on each are incredible,I find the Steyr to have just slightly better pointing than the Walther (YMMV).

I can not compare the actions of the two weapons as my P99 is the AS trigger with deckocker and the Steyr is "Glock like" I will say the trigger on the Steyr is way better than any Glock or XD. In some ways it is better than the trigger on my Walther and it absolutely smokes the S&W M&P.

One consideration is that Walther's magazine release is very different than most other handguns and if you carry or use different weapons the manual of arms is significantly different enough to become an issue.

At CDNN's price of $350.00 the Steyr is an incredible deal.

·
Registered
328 Posts
One other thing.
If a Tactical light is needed the Steyr will accept standard (Glock, XD) type of mounts.
The Walther requires a semi non standard mount.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I own the Steyr M9 and have shot the 9mm P99. I found the trigger, pointability, and ergonomics on the M9 to be superior (that's why its my prime CCW piece). But I like the P99 and will probably get one in the next year.
As fellow Steyroid Madecov said, at $350 the Steyr A1 is a nice deal.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you both. That pretty much validates what I thought to be the case. Another underrated, under-marketed gun worthy of a serious look. How is the factory's customer service? Are basic replacement parts hard to come by? I may have to put it on my wish list. There is a gun show coming up next week and hopefully I'll get a chance to at least handle one.

Oh yeah...how do you like those trapezoid sights?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Steyr service is second only to S&W.

They have parts and usually get things taken care of within a few days if there is a problem.

The factory service center is in Georgia.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have three P99s and recently bought a Steyr M9-A1. Very cool gun and the the ergos are excellent. I prefer the grip angle of the P99 as it what I am used to. With the Steyr, like a Glock, i have to make sure I pull my wrist up to align the sights properly. Otherwise I shoot low.
My Steyr has not malfed with about 400 rnds so far, but does have a random ejection pattern at times, including off the forehead.
The trap sights take a little getting used to but I like them.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love the trap sights for practical shooting. And for eyes that aren't what they used to be, the large base of the front sight triangle is easier to see than most stock setups.
My M9 is my prime CCW, so I have left it stock; but all the reports I have seen on Steyr Club re: Big Taco's recoil assembly have been favorable.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the trap sights for practical shooting. And for eyes that aren't what they used to be, the large base of the front sight triangle is easier to see than most stock setups.
My M9 is my prime CCW, so I have left it stock; but all the reports I have seen on Steyr Club re: Big Taco's recoil assembly have been favorable.
Sounds like a helluva gun for 4 bills.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update....I joined the Steyr Club owner's forum and the feedback there is universally positive on the MA-1. (That is not the case at every gun forum I belong to, not by a long stretch :)) As a result, I just ordered a brand spankin' new MA-1 in 9mm. Hope to pick it up next week. I think it will be a nice complement to my P99s, both of which I really enjoy. I guess I can't have enough under-rated, under-marketed, albeit excellent guns.

"Kraigster414, always rootin' for the underdog."

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like here, some very nice folks over at the Steyr Club.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just bought a Steyr M9A1 but haven't shot it yet. I'll let you guys know how it compares to my coveted P99 (currently my favorite gun). It will be interesting too to see how I do with the Steyr's trap. sights. That's going to be a whole new ballgame for me. For starters though I think I prefer the grip on the P99, the P99 slide has a nicer and it appears a more wear resistant finish (I am not referring to the Tenifer treatment that resides under the base metal, I am referring to the blackened finish), and the P99 is a bit lighter than the Steyr. 'Jury is out on the Steyr's trigger. Best described as a Glock style double action trigger (not an AS), it breaks relatively heavy but adequate for a carry gun: 5.5 - 5.75 lbs per my Lyman digital trigger gauge (equivalent to an out of the box Glock) and is supposed to smooth out in time. As for the current finish on the Steyr MA1, according to info at the Steyr Club, come January 08, Steyr will be offering the MA1 in Maanox, a state-of-the-art treatment that supposedly will leave other finishes in the dust in terms of durability. Bore axis is also lower on the Steyr. .

Considering the MA1 can be had from CDNN for $350 or from Davidson's for a little more, it's a bargain by all accounts.. But get ready for a hefty price increase come January. If you want one now, better act quick. I think I am still going to like my P99 better but who knows.

'First range test is coming up - hold that thought. :)

P99 and M9A1 side by side:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I actually just yesterday straight traded my P99 for a M9-A1, you won't be disappointed. It's a very short, very crisp trigger pull -- somewhere between 5-6 lbs. Infinitely less take-up than even the P99 SA mode on the AS and about the same pull weight. It sits lower in your hand and has significantly less muzzle flip. I think you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I actually just yesterday straight traded my P99 for a M9-A1, you won't be disappointed. It's a very short, very crisp trigger pull -- somewhere between 5-6 lbs. Infinitely less take-up than even the P99 SA mode on the AS and about the same pull weight. It sits lower in your hand and has significantly less muzzle flip. I think you'll enjoy it.
Thanks. I hope to give it a trial run today or tomorrow. I am also going to let Big Taco (commercial sponsor at the Steyr Club forum) make me one of his s/s captured recoil spring assemblies. They seem to be very popular among the MA1 owners. And anything that will help reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil even further for this tendinitis elbow of mine, is a good thing.

I don't think though I could ever trade my P99 f/s 9mm in for anything. I just like it too much. But never say never.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks. I hope to give it a trial run today or tomorrow. I am also going to let Big Taco (commercial sponsor at the Steyr Club forum) make me one of his s/s captured recoil spring assemblies. They seem to be very popular among the MA1 owners. And anything that will help reduce muzzle flip and felt recoil even further for this tendinitis elbow of mine, is a good thing.

I don't think though I could ever trade my P99 f/s 9mm in for anything. I just like it too much. But never say never.
Yeah I'm looking at one of those SS rods too. As to the P99 great gun, well crafted -- imo better crafted than the M9A1 in some ways, but it wouldn't do everything I wanted it to and feel the way I want it too. So far the M9 fits the bill in almost every way.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I'm looking at one of those SS rods too. As to the P99 great gun, well crafted -- imo better crafted than the M9A1 in some ways, but it wouldn't do everything I wanted it to and feel the way I want it too. So far the M9 fits the bill in almost every way.
I hear you. There is a lot to be said for personal needs and wants. And yes to the SS recoil spring assembly from Big Taco for the MA1. Big Taco is to the MA1 what Steve Bedair is to the P99. Two guys who know what they are doing when it comes to making after-market recoil spring assemblies. Taco Man also knows how to "work" an MA1 trigger I am told.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts