Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have done an extensive comparison between a first generation P99, third generation P99, and the new PPQ. I have included two holsters, and three laser/lights. I also did a shooting comparison. If you are interested I threw it together on a web page so it wouldn't be such a long thread.

Click walthercomp to see the comparison.

I didn't know if this should go here, or in the P99 section. Since I just got my PPQ yesterday I figured I would post it here.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Rock-solid stuff, Iron Man; nice job. And nice photos, too. :) We'll Stick this one for future reference.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent Iron Man, thank you. How are you liking the PPQ now that it has been compared to the P99?
I am afraid I am liking it more than my P99s. The pros are the ergonomic grips that allow me to keep a more consistent handle on the weapon, the grooves on the front of the slide, and the newness of the pistol. New = tight = accuracy. As illustrated, my generation 1 P99 had a wider pattern which I relate to age and use.

Also, both P99s, when I purchased them, had taller front sights. European gun makers often design their sights so that you cover your target with the front sight. Western designers build their sights for pumpkin on post sighting. This results in a western style shooter hitting the target very low with European sights. The PPQ appears to be designed for pumpkin on post aiming and was very accurate right out of the box.

Oh, and let's not forget the nice accessory rail. I love to hang stuff off of a pistol!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am afraid I am liking it more than my P99s. The pros are the ergonomic grips that allow me to keep a more consistent handle on the weapon, the grooves on the front of the slide, and the newness of the pistol. New = tight = accuracy. As illustrated, my generation 1 P99 had a wider pattern which I relate to age and use.

Also, both P99s, when I purchased them, had taller front sights. European gun makers often design their sights so that you cover your target with the front sight. Western designers build their sights for pumpkin on post sighting. This results in a western style shooter hitting the target very low with European sights. The PPQ appears to be designed for pumpkin on post aiming and was very accurate right out of the box.

Oh, and let's not forget the nice accessory rail. I love to hang stuff off of a pistol!
I noticed you used a Para in review the post, I have a Para CCO LDA .45acp,and it's trigger is the standard IMHO that all other triggers should follow.:)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two Paras, a P12.45 and a P16.40. They are both excellent firearms. I like them because they are double stack pistols, but I have about ten variations of the 1911 (to which I am partial). I own a lot of guns, but more Walthers of a single brand than any other.

If I had wanted to really explore my .40 options I would have included my Sig 226 and my Beretta 96.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Additional PPQ information

I just got off the phone with Walther. I was ordering a new slide stop and spring for my first gen P99 and spoke at length with customer service about the PPQ.

First, the .40 S&W magazines are identical between the P99 and PPQ and ARE interchangable.
Second, I was challenged by some guys on another forum who told me I was full of crap about the difference in the sights. I confirmed that I was correct. Although the sights are mounted the same on both the P99 models and the PPQ, the PPQ front sight is indeed lower. The P99 front sights are designed for point of aim with the front sight white dot on point of impact. The PPQ is designed with the top of the front sight to be point of impact. If you add aftermarket P99 fiber optic sights you will most likely change your point of aim on your PPQ.
Third, I asked about the transponder ID that is on the back of the grip. I searched for a transponder in the pistol and found none. In Europe, all pistols are traceable by an electronic transponder identifier. These are removed prior to shipment to the United States as they violate privacy laws.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you, nice review and interesting info on the sights of the two guns.

·
Registered
112 Posts
very nice review and input, thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went to the range yesterday with some colleagues. I had my relatively new .40 P99QA, purchased in just a few weeks ago. One of my friends rented a Glock 19, while the other brought his Ruger (don't recall if it was a P89 or P95). Since I purchased my P99, I've been to the range quite a bit and have made a lot of progress with my marksmanship. I've gotten to the point that I can put at least three out of five rounds in the smaller diamonds of 100 yd rifle targets, albeit only out to 7 yards. When I borrowed the G19 rental, I suddenly realized how much of a challenge the trigger pull of the P99QA, along with the recoil of the .40. At 7 yards, I found I could almost pick which corner of the diamond that I wanted to hit. As pleasant as it was, there were some things that I didn't like about the Glock. First off, as far a ergonomics go, the Glock felt like a 1 x 3 in my hand compared to the P99. The P99 with the medium grip melts into my palm, keeping the trigger on the first pad with just a hint of gap between my index finger and the frame. Second: I could not reach the Glock's mag release without manipulating my wrist. With the P99, I can drop a magazine and re-load while keeping the sight picture on-target the whole time. Third, for me, the slide release on the P99 is much easier to manipulate compared to the Glock. After getting back from the range, I was starting to think that a PPQ in 9mm is on my shopping list. I would love to hear some opinions on the trigger of the PPQ. I'm not inclined to give up my P99QA. I'm thinking that even if I get the PPQ, the P99 will still serve as a very valuable training tool with a heavier trigger and stouter recoil, but nearly identical ergonomics and manual-of-arms.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Wabbit69: In my view, the trigger on the PPQ is infinitely better than the trigger on the P99QA model. For that matter, the trigger on the P99AS is infinitely better than the trigger on the P99QA. But that's just it: If you prefer the QA trigger over the AS trigger, there's little reason to believe that you would like the trigger on a PPQ, which has far more in common with the AS trigger than it does the QA trigger.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I believe the constant action trigger on the PPQ is closer to the P99QA and Glock trigger, than the DA/SA on the P99AS.

I think the PPQ improved on the three areas that I hear the most complaints about with Glock pistols. The grip, grip angle, and trigger. If you prefer pistols with the same trigger from the first to the last shot, and you like pistols with good triggers and good ergonomics, I'd suggest a PPQ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Searcher and Balance,
Thanks for the input. Long story short, I think Balance hit the nail right on the head. I am still very pleased with the P99QA. Being mindful that the double action revolvers served the law-enforcement community very well for most of the twentieth century, I can't even say that the relatively heavy trigger is a "gripe". Sure, it's a challenge, but one that can be overcome with proper training and practice, which became obvious to me when I shot the Glock. Going from the 8+ lb trigger to a 5 lb or so was like night and day. This was sort of analagous to me getting used to playing pool on a 9 ft regulation table, then being challenged by some dimwit in a bar with a 6 foot pay-table. Them pockets are a whole lot easier to hit when they're two or three feet closer. (The crappy little tables were usually not flat, though, which necessitated a subtle change in tactics).I chose the QA over the AS for first-to-last shot consistencey, considering that the purpose was purely defensive. What get's me excited about the thought of the PPQ is the combination of the best of all worlds. From what I've experienced with my P99, and what I've heard about the PPQ, I've got a hunch that Walther has a serious contender to challenge Glock's dominance in a lot of markets. All they need is some good marketing and a couple of endorsements. It will be interesting to see how S&W, as their US distributor, plays along, considering this is pretty much what they're hoping for with the M&P.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Iron Man,

How old is the blackhawk serpa in your review, i was at the lgs today and after reading your review just double checked and the one they had for the p99 fit the ppq perfectly. the ambi slide release was not an issue, for those who are reading this before reading the thread about holsters you may want to notate that on there. also i have noticed in my own experience that there are holsters that have been redesigned for the gen3 p99 with the more rounded trigger guard, that wont work with the early p99 or ppq. the holster companies should be more specific about which ones fit which models or at least put a production date on their packaging and indicate fitment.:mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
One final note...I did notice that the extractor on the PPQ was flipping the casings back against the slide leaving marks just aft of the ejection port on the right side.
I have had my PPQ for about 3 weeks shooting about 500 rounds with it. I also noticed these marks developing on mine. They appear to be worse with every visit to the range.

Tired to take a PIC, the focus is not as good as it could be, but you can make them out with no problems.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/Axiom2000/100_0984.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj168/Axiom2000/100_0979.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ironman and Axiom2000, did you guys ever figure out why your PPQ is flipping brass back against the slide and leaving marks?

It sounds to me like the extractor claw is digging into the brass a little so it doesn't let go quickly enough at the proper time. Maybe some polishing of the sharp corners on that claw will resolve it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ironman and Axiom2000, did you guys ever figure out why your PPQ is flipping brass back against the slide and leaving marks?

It sounds to me like the extractor claw is digging into the brass a little so it doesn't let go quickly enough at the proper time. Maybe some polishing of the sharp corners on that claw will resolve it?
put 499 rounds through mine today - (1 bad factory loaded round) and noticed these marks on mine. came off some with cleaning, but still there. might try polishing the extractor and see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts