Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I'm looking for feedback on the P2000 (either LEM or DA/SA) as compared to the P99 (AS or QA). I'm only familiar with the .40 AS in this quest for knowledge... I've never shot a QA or a P2000 so I've got zero data there. (And my local range doesn't have a P2000 rental.) I've searched back through some posts on this forum and haven't seen much beyond casual reference to the P2000 since 2005. I'm curious what people with experiences with both of these may have to say in 2007, also now that prices for "pre-owned" P2000s are closer to the P99.

One nugget I have picked up on is HK's warranty being lifetime to the ORIGINAL owner. Is that really held true... only to the ORIGINAL owner?

I have also heard some folks have had "less than a good experience" when it came time to get (civilian) customer service from HK. In this area I know S&W has an edge, including S&H both ways.

One area I'm particularly interested in is the trigger reset comparison between the P99 and P2000. I really like the P99's short reset.

I know the P30 is coming too, as seemingly an evolution of the P2000, but it's only going to be in 9mm upon arrival. I would be interested in the .40.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I can only tell you from "hearsay" that Customer service @ H&K has improved alot since they moved to Trussville.
People are being taken care of and I have not heared bad things about their service since the move.... however I don't think it will ever come close to S&W customer service... for instance they won't pay for shipping like S&W does.

The P30 will come in .40 later on... at least that is what the talk is on H&K's own Forum they have now on their new site....the P30L is coming first though and is a "long barrel" version of the P30 in 9mm

·
Registered
118 Posts
I brought home a P2000V3 today and hope to try it against the P99AS soon. I will post my impressions after the range visit.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
tell us.... when you let the slide fall without a mag in the frame does the P2000 "sound cheap" compared to the P99.....
to me it's like closing the door on a VW bug compared to a BMW

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! A first-hand review would be great, dourdave.

I stopped by a shop on the way home this eve for a quick check of that reset question since it was bugging me all darn day. Well, the trigger reset on a P2000 (v3) was definitely not as short as the P99. I'd say it was easily 2x to 3x of a new AS they had to compare it with at the counter. (I had that same sense of disappointment as the reset length on the Px4. I wanted it to be as good/short as the P99... but it wasn't.)

The P2000 felt good in my hand, but not quite as "ergo" as the P99 in the grip. Maybe switching out the backstrap to a "large" would help. It wasn't "bad"... just not quite as good... certainly felt better than the USP compact, fwiw.

I didn't try any slide fall tests, uncut... but the P2000 felt solid to me, even with the slightly shorter barrel length. Since the P2000 is considered a "compact" perhaps a closer comparison would be the P99c? Didn't think to check the slide fall. :)

Speaking of barrels, that is one negative for the P2000... lack of threaded barrel from HK or anybody else as far as I can tell. I did find one mention of "EFK Fire Dragon" in Arizona as a potential supplier... so I emailed them. Here's what they said about mfg threaded .40 S&W barrels for the P2000:

"Not at this time. We are currently looking into producing the P2000 series. Check back with us at a later date and I might have a ETA. . . .Franki"

Bummer. And I thought the P99 .40 was tough to score a threaded barrel for! Ha! :rolleyes:

I suppose HK will do something for the P30 in that department over time... guessing they won't do much with the P2000 line now that the P30 and HK45 are the new buzz for them.

I still haven't found a pistol that I would be willing to purge the P99s for. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anybody?

dourdave.... you take that P2000 of yours out yet for a comparison?

ShipWreck? I think you have a P2000 somewhere on your radar too?

:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, the P2000V3 had it's time at the range. I made a HUGE mistake by also taking the recently acquired P7PSP. I'll try to be objective about the P2000:

Maybe it was the medium backstrap, but the "comfort" was not as good as the P99AS. Admittingly, I am still getting used to the DA mode of the P99AS, but the DA mode of the P2000 is much more taxing for me. Also, the decocker on the P2000 is poorly located. The P99AS seems to have the "controlls" located out-of-the-way, but still very useable. At 7 yards, both are about equal for me in the SA mode. In general, I'm not really drawn to the P2000 as I am to the P99AS. Oh yes, both are 9mm.

Sorry this report isn't better. The experience with the P7 overshodows my memory of details about everything else in the Universe. I will try a side-by-side comparison at the next range visit.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Are you telling us that you are bitten by the P7 bug ??
I have 2 M8's and just last week when I put the PPS on layaway put another P7 on layaway too... yes it was one of the PSP police trade ins.
$760 for a NIB P7 is just too good to pass up :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the bug didn't bite, it surely walked all over me, ended up staring in my dominate eye and smiled.

Bad bug-----bad, bad.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
dourdave.... you take that P2000 of yours out yet for a comparison?

ShipWreck? I think you have a P2000 somewhere on your radar too?

:)

Yes, I want one as well - But next month, I think I am getting a Beretta first. I will look at them again at the gun show and try to decide for sure.

I have a USPc already. And, while I like the P2000 - I do my best shooting with guns with a 4" barrel or longer. The USPc and the P2000 have under 4 inch barrels. So, I am debating if I really want it or not.

The shorter barrel guns have shorter sight radiuses. I cannot shoot them as well. On a side note - I prev had a fullsize USP - but it was too large for my hand. Anyway, The P99 makes great use of the real estate on top of the slide. The P99 w/ a 4" barrel has the same sight radius as the larger USP!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The HK P2000V3 and the Walther P99AS went to the range today. They are both 9mm and today they ran Winchester 115gr FMJ Target/Range (Walmart White Box) ammo. Each ran 100 rounds: 50 at first shot DA with fairly rapid fire to end of mag. and 50 all SA with reasonable time to each "next shot". Each mag loaded with 10 rounds. On each 10 round firing, the P99 went first, with maybe a minute rest before the P2000 10 round firing. Then, the mags were reloaded and the firing sequence was repeated. Targets at 7 yds.

I was the only shooter at the range so there was no distraction.

It was very easy to "feel" the differences between the two weapons. The HK was always "snuggled in" and comfortable and ready to act. Firing dynamics (recoil, settle down) were very natural and next shot adjustments were minimal. After a while, the Walther felt more bulky and less comfortable than it was in the beginning. I tended to "get worse" with the target. I never noticed this in the past. But then, this was the first "switch weapons" firing I have done (recently).

At nearing the end of the 100 round firing of each, I became very comfortable with the HK and lost some of my performance with the Walther. Accuracy was never an issue with either, but endurance and consistancy at the end was. Interesting that my prior comments about the HK were not very flattering. My prior comments about the P99 were positive, with more practice needed for the DA firing. Today, the HK P200V3 won.

Now then, I am no expert and I am not an active, professional who needs to use a firearm in a line of work. I am a senior citizen who has rediscovered the joy of shooting and who is trying to hone some past ability. Given that, there is one variable that needs consideration: my hands are a bit small and probably somewhat weaker than they once were. However, my fingers are straight, flexible and fully capable of controlling either weapon.

The HK just took a lot less effort for me and it remained consistant throughout the range activity.

After today, do I have a favorite ? YEEEEESSSSSSSSS !! The P7PSP.

Dave

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the report :)

I've always said, and continue to say - there are a lot of quality handguns out there. Walther, Sig, Glock, HK, and more... and the best gun for anyone, is the one that is best for them... not what someone else's favorite is.

Above all - i'm glad to hear you're rediscovering something you enjoy :)

thorn

·
Registered
118 Posts
For two days I thought about the range experience with the HK and the Walther. Why did my enjoyment deteriorate with the Walther ? I have enjoyed it in the past and was finally getting the hang of the DA shot. This morning, at home, I fondled them side-by-side and discovered the answer. I found my way to the range, taking only the P99 AS and 200 rounds.

Pure enjoyment. All it took was to install the "small" backstrap. It was no longer "uncomfortable" in comparison to the HK (with a medium backstrap).

I am embarrased, however, the lesson I learned is very valuable.

Now then, if I can revise my previous conclusions: The P2000 V3 and the P99 AS are different enough to require the user to understand just what is in the hand. They are also functionally similar to allow the user to be very good with either. The trigger reset and pull-to-fire dynamics are different, but the differences do not impact placement on the range target. Well, shucks. I like them both. A tough situation to choose between them.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have one V3 P2000 in 9mm, one USP Compact 9mm (V3) and multiple P99s in the original trigger (DA/SA) before it became referred to as the "AS". All my P99s are the Pre-2004 variety. Which one do you think I prefer :p

Trigger reset:

1) Walther P99
2) USP Compact
3) P2000

Accuracy:

1) Walther P99
2) USP Compact
3) P2000

Ergo?

1) Walther P99
2) P2000
3) USP Compact

I've looked and tried all the new plastic (Glock, P99 Post 2004, XD, Taurus, S&W M&P, Beretta PX4, etc). None have made me change my mind that the original P99 as designed is the best steel over medium frame, high capacity plastic gun for me. ;)

I considered the P2000SK but chose the P99 Compact AS (Ken Lunde and I have one of the first ones to hit the distributors). I have one. It is nice, but still not as nice as the original P99.

Will I look at the new Beretta PX4 Compact when it hits the shelves? Sure, but I'm not holding high hopes that it will be something I'll want to own.

Of course, the 1911 has been my fascination for the past 2 years :rolleyes:

And the new PPS? :confused: Why bother?

James

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK, James, I'll bite: Why did the P2000 jump over the USP to take second choice ?

Dave

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
By Ergo? I meant Ergonomically. The P2000 is nicer than the USP as the slide is more contoured, the grip feels better, just the overall feel. It also has replaceable backstraps, although the standard one fits me fine, as does the standard medium backstrap on the P99.

It also has ambi controls if that matters to some (not me) and the decocker is kind of cool. Although one drawback to the P2000 is it has no safety and cannot be carried cocked and lock. Not a factor for me as I wouldn't carry it that way.

Regards,
James

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Dave, thanks for sharing your experiences and glad you are enjoying shooting again. The next two time you go to the range, leave the Walther home. Tell us how you shot and fell after the third range date.

Regards, photo

·
Registered
118 Posts
photo,

Took the HK P2000V3 and the SIG P239 to the range today. Great fun !!

One more trip (P7PSP and the PPK/S-1), then try the P99AS again.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts