Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a Glock 19 recently, but I don't think I will ever get the chance to try out a P99 QA. So...

Is the Walther P99 QA just as much fun to shoot as a Glock 19?

Which trigger do you think is better? The longer but lighter Glock trigger, or the shorter but heavier QA trigger?

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Glock has a long trigger, yes but it's a 2 stage and the second stage is very easy to feel so I pull the first stage out as I'm aquiring the target and then just squeeze for the second. The Glock is a better shooter from an efficency perspective, from an enjoyment, the ergonomics of the P99 make up for it. The replacement striker spring made it much more enjoyable to shoot. Also I'd seriously look at getting some night sights. For carry purposes there isn't a gun out there that's more reliable with more aftermarket options than a Glock. It has less felt recoil, a nicer trigger, and a shorter reset.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Try to hold both. Some people will shoot better with a P99 because of it naturally points better. The grip angle on the glock is a little steep for some. The P99's grip angle is more like a 1911.

To test, hold each weapon down at one's side, close your eyes. Bring the weapon up to eye level, point at some target with your trigger finger, and open your eyes. You should be looking right down the sights with a P99. Most of the time, people are looking at the top of the glock slide instead of a perfect sight picture because of the steep grip angle.

To use someone else's words. The glock is like a steak knife, and the P99 is like a scalpel... Choose whichever feels better, you'll need to handle both!

-stunks

·
Registered
15 Posts
The P99 fills my hand better and points better for me. the trigger on the QA feels better for me...but i've not done extensive shooting w/ a qa.
I actually just sold my g19 to get a P99.
both are great weapons. the P99 just fit me better
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
232 Posts
the knife/scalpel analogy is pretty acurate, but in a defensive situation you don't need a scalpel you need a sword. In my optinion the Walther is more fun to shoot. It has a little more kick, if sits in the hand better, but the Glock is easier to shoot defensivley, it has less kick so you can reaquire your target faster, the reset is shorter and once you pull the first stage out of the trigger the pull is shorter. Personally, in retrospect, I should have gotten the AS which is supperior to the Glock in everything (except it still has more recoil than ther Glock).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Shooting WWB, I've always felt that the G-19 had a tad bit more felt recoil than the P99. I guess it's just because I can't get as good of a grip on the G-19.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I prefer lighter triggers, so I prefer the standard 5.5 pound trigger of a Glock to the 7.5 pound - 8 pound trigger pull of the P99 QA.  That said, I think the P99 is a better thought out gun than the Glock.  It takes the basics of the Glock (polymer frame / tenifer treated steel / striker fired) design and pushes the concept to the next level (i.e. ambi mag release, decocker, interchangeable backstraps, etc.).

I would think that, given enough practice, anyone could get used to either gun's trigger pull.  Although I have shot a lot of Glocks and probably have a combined round count of around 21K through Gaston's various models, I am not overly familiar with the G19.  However, I do recall this article where the NYPD verified a design flaw in the G19 that caused a type of jam they termed as a Phase 3 Malfunction.  Follow the link below to read up on it.  

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html

The article is not a "Glock bash" diatribe.  It simply relates a problem that some (not all) users of the Glock 19 have encountered.  

Even if that Phase 3 Malfunction was not out there as an issue, I'd have to say that the P99 is capable of better accuracy than a Glock.  The tolerances are simply tighter on the P99.  For me, I prefer to make tighter groups when possible.

Everyone is different, but it seems to be a mistake to make trigger pull the deciding issue.  When looking at what firearm to get, an individual should look at the total package (performance, reliability, features, availability of parts, ammo, and accessories, budget constraints, etc.) and keep in mind that any quality firearm in skilled hands will do the trick.  

Good luck on your selection...

·
Registered
15 Posts
on the recoil issue, for me at least, the g19 recoils back, where as the p99 has more muzzle flip.
I think trigger pull is a bit deceiving...it depends on how your hand is positioned on the weapon-i've seen 7 lb triggers "feel" better than 4 lb triggers...it's quite subjective.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
31 Posts
The shooting experience I have has always led me to regard the P99 as "The Glock, except better." Better accuracy, the same amount of durability, more efficient grip angle/mag release, better aesthetics, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts