Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
P99 Range Review.
Well I took a week's vacation to work/shoot at an Area 5 (Midwest Region) USPSA Kentucky State Shoot. There were about 160 shooters who shot Fri-Sat-Sun. There are several classes to shoot in and I am not familiar with them all since I shoot production gun class. In this class I noticed, one Beretta 92 and I think a polymer Sig. Everything else was either an XD or a Glock. I was the only one with a Walther. We shot ten stages and about 400 rds. The main shoot was Sat-Sun. and the weather was beautiful with a high around 78. But the staff shot on Fri and it poured rain and we received over an inch. It made conditions horrible. Mucky lime dust and clay turned into a cement-like mixture. I tend to be a type A personality so I like my gear neat and clean. I am not keen on dropping $50 mags on gravel and mud;but this is part of the competition. Well all I can say is that my Walther performed flawlessly and could have done better in the hands of another shooter. I am happy to say I shot a clean match, no misses or penalties and finished about mid way among the shooters which I am pleased with since I am not a real serious competitor. Some of the mags got caked with muck and I had to do the best I could to clean them off but everything functioned fine.

I am happy to say what everyone already knows that the Walther can more than hold its own. Although I was the only one with a Walther, I was proud to be shooting it.

Now I had my Walther before I began shooting competition. Would I buy a Walther again? Well yes and no. Yes because I like the pistol and have three of them. But if I was to get a pistol just for competition shooting, I probably would go with a Glock simply because there are more after market goodies. You can get all kinds of holster configurations and mag set- ups, while you are limited by a Walther.  Also Glock mags are cheaper and I wouldn't feel so bad if I dropped one in the mud or gravel. However, I shoot what I own and wear. So while others have fancy race guns and speed rigs, I use my Fobus holster and mags holders because that is what I wear if I carry. One gun, one gear, one set-up. So if you want to shoot the Walther for competition, go ahead and have fun. You can find enough gear to make it worth your while and be competitive too. I think the only thing I would change would be my Meps. I may get some red fiber optic sights. I believe the contrast would work well when shooting outdoors.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very nice review. Thanks!
You might like those Red fiber optics, I sure do...
To shoot in the middle of the pack for the normal guy like you and me, is great! Nice job!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good shooting.

I shoot my P99 at the local IDPA matches. Also the only one with a Walther & I wouldn't change it. We get a good mix of firearms but it's mostly Glocks & 1911s. I generally finish mid pack as well, except the first time I had to shoot a "shoot house" scenario; I took my time in that one.

Since IDPA limits the mag capacity to 10 I use 10 rounders for the matches and keep the 16s for carry. It's a little cheaper & I don't worry about the mags at all then, although I don't know if you have that option in USPSA.

CD

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
USPSA and IDPA are very similar. Ten round limit per mag for production guns. I try not to use my hi-caps but sometimes you cannot help it. Still a lot of fun and I am sticking with my P99. I think I will get the fiber optics and switch my Meps to my compact and my 24/7 Bit dots to my "house" gun.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Excellent Report on your competition............

What you have accomplished by shooting competition with your carry gun is extremely important........ and has given you an invaluable edge should you ever need your weapon for self defense. As I have said before, punching paper at the range is nothing like the real thing when people are shooting back at you. The stress level goes through the roof and so does much of your skills and abilities to hit a target...........unless you practice under some type of stress. Competition [ at whatever level you choose ] can offer an elevated stress level. If you are "highly" competitive -- these stress levels can get quite high and close to combat conditions.

The other thing I wanted to point out is your choice to use the same gun and rig that you carry ---in the competition.
Maybe won't score as high as the custom rigs out there, but a very smart choice when trying to improve your self defense skills for home or work. When the bullets are flying -- you will revert back to your training and "Habits" since there is damn little time to think. Everything will be a reaction stimulated by training or past habits. This kind of response is where you get your speed --- when thinking [ to a large degree ] is pushed to side for a few short seconds.....and your body takes over and reacts to the situation. Learning to "build-in" these stress responses can take time and certainly effort.......and COMPETITION is a very good way to accomplish these goals.

Keep up the great work Jake

JF.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've been using my P99 AS in 9mm for the Stock Service Pistol division of IDPA for several years now, and have always been the only one at the range with it. I compete in the Sharpshooter division, and have always done well with the P99. Many thousands of rounds through it, and not one problem with the pistol. Flawless.

Only issue I ever had was when I used a partially loaded 10 round magazine for tactical reload, and the tip of the top cartridge nose-dived inwards after striking the bottom of the mag well, causing all sorts of issues. I never used a partially loaded mag for a high-speed mag change before, and haven't afterwards either....

Great ergonomic pistol. Shoots where you want it to. I got a spare one with night sights (Trijicon green front/yellow rears) and couldn't be happier with both.

-Jeff

·
Registered
30 Posts
After shooting a couple of IPSC matches in Canada, I feel pretty good about my P99 purchase (got a 4th place trophy in my class). The only issue I have about my mags is that it takes so much effort to push a full 10-round mag into my 99 in battery. Therefore, I load only 9 rounds into the 'reload' magazines (10 rounds for the first one) and have to have better stage management than most ppl. I'm using a Fobus holster with no grip enhancements (fits my hand perfectly). And it shoots super-accurate out-of-the-box. I've never had to adjust any of the sights.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the 10-round mags can be tight. That is why I start off with the factory 10 for the first stage and if I have to make several mag changes I use the hi-caps that are only loaded with 10.

P99 is super accurate. The only thing that came close was a special race gun, custom built, custom trigger that a fellow let me try. Its trigger was light and crisp. But it cost $2,000.00+...I am more than happy with my P99.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ June 06 2006,12:48)]Yes the 10-round mags can be tight. That is why I start off with the factory 10 for the first stage and if I have to make several mag changes I use the hi-caps that are only loaded with 10.
Good idea with only loading 10 into hi-cap mags. I wonder if it's legal for my IPSC zone... I'll have to check the rules on that.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what type of rig do you use when you shoot competition?
I use what I carry with, a Fobus holster and mags. Got any special rigs for competition?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm shooting a borrowed P99 9mm in a USPSA match (production class) tomorrow, first time with a walther. i post how it goes.

now, if i can just remember that the mag release is on the trigger guard . . . .

frye

·
Registered
83 Posts
well, i remembered where the mag release was, and the P99 performed flawlessly. it took me about two stages to adjust to the different 'rhythm' of the P99 compared to my normal match pistol.

i hadn't fired this pistol in about 1 1/2 years and didn't get to do practice at all before the match started. things fell into place rather accurately and quickly (for me) once i adjusted. i probably hit 75% 'alphas' and only had 4 'mikes' the whole day, all of them in the first two stages out of five.

the P99's inherent pointability easily compensated for lack of recent trigger time with it.

i MUST get another P99.

frye

·
Registered
160 Posts
I shot my P99 in idpa and uspsa and I sometimes tended to fire either slightly left or low or both of my intended location. Since using the Glock I haven't seen that trend. It is probably me. I use my carry gear for all competitions but I use cheaper 'practice' only ProMags for training and not my expensive carry mags.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts