Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of the three adjustable grip inserts that come with the P99, the largest has a large curved "beavertail" at its top. I don't see how it's supposed to fit on the handle. The beavertail obviously won't fit under the top of the insert cavity, so how do you install it so as not to leave a gap when it's attached? (I probably haven't described this very well. It may be that only someone who has attached the largest adjustable grip insert will understand my question.)

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this question for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Best way to find out would be to try it.

That top portion you are talking about on the largest grip fits right over that particular portion of the grip on the pistol. Besides, Walther wouldn't ship thousands of P99s with a large grip that didn't fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It works fine. The beavertail part covers part of the beavertail on the frame . It looks a little weird but feels fine. I haven't had any problems with comfort while using the large backstrap.

See attached...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The P-99 grips allow you to do a bit of customizing beyond just selecting the insert size. If your preferred insert is a little big in part of it compared to the curve of your palm as you grip the firearm it can be locally reshaped.

If you are going to do this, clear the firearm and working area of ammunition and then remove the roll pin that retains the insert. With the firearm held in your normal shooting grip not where the grip has excessive pressure on your hand. REMOVE the insert from the butt and gently snad away some of the offending material. Repeat this process until the fit to your hand is correct.

If you remove the insert when doing any sanding on it, the worst outcome is having to replace a cheap plastic piece.

I did this tweak after having shot 500+ rounds over a few trips to the range. In my opinion you want to make sure that you are used to the firearm before doing this.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts