Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am seriously considering the P99C (comapct) for a carry gun. However, I am trying to understand the different firing systems. Can someone please help me understand the advantages/disadvantages to the QA, AS, and DAO? And why, if you have to rack the QA in order to cock it would you even want a decocker on it? Wouldn't that render the chambered round useless since it will be ejected when you rack to cock? The pros and cons of each would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who can lend some info.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you rack the slide to put a round in the chamber and then decock, you need only to move the slide 3/8 inch to set the striker. You will not eject the shell. In addition there are holsters that allow you thave a round in the chamber and then set the striker in this manner.

If the slide has been racked and the decocker set to lower the striker, you have essentially what would call as two-stage trigger--you can pull it back the full travel and fire or you can bring it back 2/3 of the way and it will hold in that position and then the travel is very short for the next round.

I like the idea of a long pull, I am not a "cocked and locked" guy and I yet like the idea of having a round in the chamber with the utmost safety and no DAO triffer pull. I

generally have carried a CZ100 for that reason--a long DAO pull with no safety.

The P99 matches that safety and more; it has the advantage of a round in the chamber and a trigger pull in either of two stages--either long like a conventional DA or a short pull if I set it.

Others may be better in explaining this, but these points are important to em/

·
Registered
70 Posts
DOUBLE ACTION FIRING - P99, P990
The trigger is in the forward position when firing in double action mode. For a quick first shot when fine accuracy is not the most important concern, point the pistol atthe target and take aim. TO FIRE: pull the trigger all the way through the full length of its travel. This cocks the striker and fires the pistol all in one motion. This is the only way to fire a P990 pistol.

SINGLE ACTION FIRING - TRIGGER FORWARD - P99
If the striker is decocked, but you wish to fire the first shot single action, point the pistol in a safe direction, pull the slide back about 3/8 inch an let it go. This cocks the striker without ejecting the round in the chamber. When you have loaded the first round into the chamber, or if you have decocked the striker and then cocked it again without firing the pistol, the trigger is forward, in the same position as double action mode, BUT THE TRIGGER PULL WILL BE MUCH LIGHTER. TO FIRE: carefully take up the slack until the trigger clicks into the single action position, and then fire the pistol in single action mode.

SINGLE ACTION FIRING – TRIGGER REARWARD - P99
After you fire the first shot the striker is cocked and all shots are single action. In single action mode the trigger is much further back in the trigger guard and the TRIGGER PULL IS MUCH SHORTER AND LIGHTER. TO FIRE: squeeze the trigger all the way back.
WARNING: The single action trigger pull is much lighter and shorter than the double action pull. Be sure you look at the cocking indicator in the rear of the slide to see if you are in single action or double action BEFORE you put your finger on the trigger.

QUICK ACTION FIRING - P99 QA
The Quick Action (QA) Trigger of the P99QA differs from the standard P99 by offering a constant trigger pull for every round fired. If you pull the slide rearward and release, with a loaded magazine in the well, the gun will be loaded and ready to fire. Once loaded, pulling the trigger will move the striker to the rear and allow discharge. Depressing the take down button will decock the gun and render it unable to shoot. With the striker decocked, the gun will not fire. If the slide is slightly moved rearward on a decocked gun it will go into a ready to fire mode.

According to Walther's brochure for the QA, the QA has a decocker cleaning, disassembly, and safe storage of the gun without pulling the trigger.

For concealed carry, I'd go with DAO or the AS trigger. The QA trigger is similar to one on a Glock, though there is more resistance initially. For a different approach to a consistent, light, and long trigger pull, take a look at the HK P2000SK.

Download P99 Manual

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Tristus,

Cawdor has given you an excellent overview of all the triggers.

On the QA version, as Cawdor and the Walther manual point out, the only reason there is a decocker on the QA model is so you can decock the gun before dissasembly or if you want to store it in a safe mode. This is much safer than pulling the trigger to decock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts