Walther Forums banner

P99 Accuracy - what type of accuracy do you get...

• one-hand slow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two-hand slow

• two-hand rapid7 yd

• 15yd

• 21yd1-2"group2-3" group4" or more

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read reports of 2.5-3"  groups at 25 yds from a rest.
Just curious at to what distance most shoot and what kind of groups do you average....

I shoot at 7 & 15 yds average and can put them in a 3" cirlce...slow fire.

PS. I wish this board had a preview poll window...forgive my error...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm not really sure as to what your poll means, but I shoot my P99's at all sorts of ranges. Even out to 50 yards. 1" groups are very possible at 7 yards, slow fire. But, I don't worry too much about it, I usually fire in self defense scenarios and as long as I'm hitting in the -0 chest area and head area, I'm happy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I can hit the target from the distance that is, say... from my couch to my front door, Im happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I shoot 1 hole groups (might be 3/4") at 7 yards, 1" groups at 25 feet, and 2" at 15 yards.  That's not always the case, but I can do it fairly consistently.  

Took my little sister with me to the range today since my wife still refuses to even hold my gun, and she shot very well for her first time.  Didn't like my P99 much (even though her second and final shot with the Walther was about 3mm right of dead center), but the Ruger MkII I rented was a hit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, that guy is a damned fine shot. Better than me by a LONG shot. With my 40 cal I have gotten a couple of 1" maybe even a bit smaller ones at 7 yds shooting Winchester White box. That is for 5 rounds. I can do that pretty consistent, but definitely NOT as a matter of routine.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I shoot 1 hole groups (might be 3/4") at 7 yards, 1" groups at 25 feet, and 2" at 15 yards. That's not always the case, but I can do it fairly consistently.
I assume you are using a 2-hand grip, slow fire? Or is this benched?

·
Registered
86 Posts
2" at 20-25 yards benchresting the heck out of the gun and when the red dot is mounted. Open sights and freehanding and at that range that group goes way south.

Rockets Out....

PS: I'm really not that good of shot, it's just a red dot, sitting down, sand bagging and pulling the trigger slow as heck that gets me the tight groups. In normal shooting if it was 6" at that range I would have a heck of a day. 12" Would be about right. I like to shoot far away as I find if I shoot under 15 yards once in a while it seems to really help as the long distance stuff really seems to point out my flaws in finger placement etc really quick and helps me really get that down as a slight flaw at that range is way off on the target.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shot my new P99c AS for the first time today - very impressed! Once I got used to the sight picture and the trigger (that first SA pull is looooooooong...) I shot a two-handed, 50 round 1.5" group at 7 yds which is plenty accurate for a carry weapon IMO.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Two days ago, I went to the range with my SW99 and my new 1911. I actually did a bit better with the SW99. I think part of the problem w/ my 1911 is the sights. They are night sights, but there isn't a real nice bright white circle around them (like w/ mepro lights). So, it's much easier to see the SW99 sights.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My P99 (40) is one of the most accurate guns I own, or maybe I just shoot it better. at 7yds I was getting clover leafs touching right on the X.
Surprised the hell out of me. This was two handed and I guess you could call it slow fire. In any event I shoot this gun very well

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would not consider regular target shooting with a subcompact's short sight track and three-dot sights, but I have improvised a 'windbreaker' rest at my outdoor range and shot a couple 2.5-inch groups at 25 yards with my P99C 9mm.

The pistol continues to amaze me. It's so small and light, yet nearly outshoots my full-size Beretta 92FS, 96G Elite IA, and SIG P228. I have pinched the bottom part of my palm several times during a quick reload, but that's not the pistol's fault. I do prefer the full-size Beretta grip.

At close range (7 yards) I can shoot out the center of the target with all ten rounds--no flyers, even in fairly rapid fire. Double-taps are no problem with the proper grip. I have finally noticed what some have said is a tendency to torque a bit more than other pistols. When shooting 'weak' hand, I have to lock my wrist or force the pistol down for the follow-up shot. Not uncomfortable, but more pronounced than my P228 or Beretta Compact Type M. Could it be just the weight difference? In any case, the ergonomics are so good that the pistol always comes back on target after touching off a round. Nice.

ciadst

·
Registered
6 Posts
My numbers are slow fire, two handed, no rest. I never shoot my handgun at 25 yrds, I don't see much point practicing that skill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I only have one range report becuase I shot it for the first time yesterday.

150 rds of ammo every single one hit the man target. 120 rds of it at 15 yds.

The first 6 shots ever were within 2" at 15yds. That is resting on sandbags but open sights (factory out of box) I was super suprised. I have a Kimber gold match and it shot as good as I usually do with it resting on sandbags open sight.

Anyway standing two handed slow fire kept it at about 3-4 inches. Quick shots went to hell but I still hit the target every time. I even purposely de cocked and shot my AS trigger about 30 rds fast fire and still hit.

Love this gun

Jamey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im still learnign mine. But wha I dont like is how the front sight doesnt fill the gap on the rear sight. I dont shoot as well that way. The most accurate I've ever shot a pistol was with my Springfield GI 1911, with the old style, low profile military sights. Thin slot in the rear. I could shoot ragged holes all day with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tang419 @ Feb. 20 2006,4:35)]Im still learnign mine. But wha I dont like is how the front sight doesnt fill the gap on the rear sight. I dont shoot as well that way. The most accurate I've ever shot a pistol was with my Springfield GI 1911, with the old style, low profile military sights. Thin slot in the rear. I could shoot ragged holes all day with it.
I think the conventional wisdom is that the thinner front blade makes for quicker acquistion of the sight picture. That's handy for a rapid engagement or for things like competition shooting. If the front sight fills the whole opening, then it takes longer to get it aligned. It's a physiology thing...your brain can process the air gaps on the side of the sights better than it can try to fill the whole space up. Obviously, some people feel more comfortable the other way around -- but I think that's generally the logic behind the sight design.

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
My target range is just out my back door on my little ranch high in the Rocky Mountains. I have a 10 inch gong hung off a tripod at 180 yards out. This is my favorite target. I shoot with both hands almost exclusively, both slow and rapid fire. I practice with strong and weak hand holds, enough to say that I do it... When you hit the Gong, you can hear it and see it move... It really helps with your trigger control. Most people when they first shoot at it miss it by tens of yards. Then after some trigger control their groups close up dramatically! It's a kick in the Butt! Almost everyone upon hitting it for the first time say that "Nobody is going to believe this"... The pistols I can shoot best with at that range are my Customized Bob Munden 4 5/8" Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag. and my totally stock P99...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Oddly enough I've found my single (strong) hand shooting quite accurate. Maybe because the extended arm puts the sights further away and allows me to focus on the sights and have less blurryness on the target. I'm not sure. I keep trying to use Isosceles stand but I find Weaver more comfortable. Perhaps this is a body type thing. All that said my accuracy isn't all that great but it's sufficient for stopping someone with bad intentions!

·
Registered
471 Posts
"Maybe because the extended arm puts the sights further away and allows me to focus on the sights and have less blurryness on the target."

Sounds logical to me...  

Nocturnal, also sounds like you might need glasses?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have glasses hal
I'm nearsighted but not by that much. I don't think anyone has eyes that can focus both at a few inches (sights) and several yards at the same time. Or else I need to discuss this with my eye doc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts