Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, tell me just how accurate is your P99? Use a scale of 1-5, 1 being poor; 5 being excellent.

Tell me things like ammo used, distance of targets, size of shot group, two hand or one hand grip, anything else that may be of interest...and for those of you have have Sigs and H&K's I'm really interested to know how the P99 compares...?

·
Registered
310 Posts
You have to bear in mind that accuracy is very personal -- YMMV.

My Walther rates a "5". I use a Weaver-style stance and WWB Value Pack ammo (I have a 9mm AS model). At anything inside of 10 yds, it's deadly. 15 yds and beyond it's just lethal. I don't have another handgun that feels as good or performs as well as my P99.

But again -- go over to the Beretta forum and they'd take exception with that!

Jim

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If we're talking about combat accuracy, then I'd give it a 5. If we're talking about target accuracy, I'd give it a 4.

For combat run and gun situations it is a very accurate gun, however for bullseye I'd rather have my P88 or custom 1911 or a SIG P210.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first got my p99, I took an NRA class, and one of the instructors really liked it and wanted to shoot it... from 7 yards, he put 5 bullets through the same hole, only expanding it by about 10%. I thought that was pretty accurate... now I just have to work my way up to even close to that, but that's what range time is for.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As I put it. My Walther and I can be scary accurate.
I shot better with it than almost any other handgun I own

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I took an NRA class, and one of the instructors really liked it and wanted to shoot it... from 7 yards, he put 5 bullets through the same hole, only expanding it by about 10%
I've done the same myself on a few occasions and frankly I was pleasantly surprised. I find the P99 to be very accurate. I hear that the 9 has the 40 beat in this department and it can hold its own against a Sig or H&K…well except for the tactical models anyway.:)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jake Starr @ July 13 2005,19:26)]I find the P99 to be very accurate. I hear that the 9 has the 40 beat in this department
I've actually done things with my .40 caliber P99's that put my 9mm P99 to shame. But I have to admit I've found a perfect reload for my .40 and I haven't done much with reloading for my 9mm.

I was at an indoor shooting range with a friend who was working on his shooting skills to pass his shooting test for the Sheriff's department, when he challenged me to "pierce the ear" of the standard police silhouette target at 10 yards. I didn't think I could do it, but my .40 P99 QA perfectly pierced the ear lobe of that silhouette (or basically removed the ear lobe). Needless to say, I packed up my stuff and said I'm done shooting for the day!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Most modern handguns made today are more accurate than their shooters.......

Several factors determine the accuracy of a particular weapon. Finding the right combination could take awhile.
1. bullet weight
2. bullet design
3. Powder charge for the particular bullet
4. How the new barrel was seasoned or broken in......some people swear by lapping their barrels---I don't
I do however believe it is important to break in a barrel properly. Use only real copper jacketed bullets. Keep heat levels down on the barrel for the first 500 rds. This means not too much rapid fire drills with a new barrel. Clean and scrub the barrel with a good grade gun oil to impregnate the metal surfaces and pores. I would rather shoot a new barrel 5 times at a hundred rds each........cleaning in between ...... than to shoot 500 rds at one session. This only while the barrel is new.
After 600-1000 rds you can consider the barrel broken in. The barrel will go through an expansion and contraction process that will mold its character.

Now throw in the shooter and his skills as a huge variable.
Often times the grip will be the huge factor in accuracy--so the more comfortable a particular pistol is to the shooter, the more accurate he will shoot--generally. Many shooters will attribute their accuracy or lack of it to the guns ability....when in fact it is a certain gun that will fit better in their hands, so trigger pulls are more consistent.

Then finally, there is gun quality and how consistent the slide jumps into battery, at discharge.......how tight the rails are fit to the slide. At first I was worried with Walther's rail design on the Polymer frame....but the metal reinforced rails guides have been holding up just fine.

My .40 cal is more accurate than me.......and I hope it stays that way!

JF

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can bench rest shoot everything through the same hole at 15 yards no problem. 25 I still do well, but bear with me as I do move a bit, I am sure you guys can do better then me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More accurate than I am. Easily a 5. I've shot .357 SIG, 9mm, .22 LR and short, and .45 ACP pistols, and my 9mm P99 is the one I've always done the best with.

Being able to put 11 shots in a man sized target's chest at 50 feet shooting as quickly as possible is more than enough for me. When I get good enough to shoot through my own holes, I'll get back to you guys on it. ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
heheh, irony mask, I like your signature "quote" from Metal Gear Solid.

Now I feel nostaligic!

Anyways, as far as accuracy, the gun is much more accurate than I am. I shoot slightly better with my PPK/s, but I think I can do quite well with my .40 P99.

As a side note, I just bought my wife a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. I must say, I'm very very very impressed with this little gun. Its like the glock I've always wanted, but better in so many ways. Neither of us are as good with it as we are the PPK or P99, but I think I can attribute that to inexperience with the gun. I really like the way it points, the fit is superb. The trigger is also great! Now to practice more, because like the P99, I'm sure the XD is more accurate than I am.

-stunks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts