Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum and a new P99 (.40) owner. I was really excited to get my first p99 last week (traded a rifle). I really like the look, feel, and safety features of the P99. However my first time out shooting was not a good experience. I shot very inconsistently and all over the place with the P99 even at very close range (10yards)! I was devastated. I thought it may just be me but I brought my father who is a good shot out to shot it as well, when he had issues shooting it as well I started to think I got screwed. Even at 10 yards it would take 3 or 4 shots to it a coke can. The group was all over but most were low and left. Then I also shot at about 25yrds and it seemed to be more accurate at long distance than right in front of me?!?!? For all I know this was a coincidence. I am hoping the gun doesn't have accuracy issues?!? The problem maybe user related but I have no trouble at 25-30 yards with my revolver and can't hit consistently at 10 yards with the P99. I guess I'm looking or suggestions. Is there any part that may need to be replaced ? Anything anyone would have to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
I've heard people who own both the full-size and the compact say that they're more accurate with the later. I only own the compact so I can only attest to its accuracy, which is very good (but not as good as any of my PP-series weapons). Indeed, I had no problems recently qualifying for renewal of my concealed carry license.

My guess is you're not used to the grip yet, and that you may be over-correcting for both the newness of the weapon and the recoil of its light frame and high bore axis. I say that because low and to the left is indicative of either tightening your fingers or jerking the trigger, and the former seems more likely for someone used to a rifle.

Try firing from a bench rest position, then gradually work your way to a normal stance. See if that solves your dilemma, because I'm pretty sure that it's not in the weapon.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
It would also be helpful to know what ammunition you are using.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks univ.exp. i have the full size version and ill keep all the tips in mind. This is my first semi auto so I was hoping it was just me. Blitz pig I was using PMC fmj's (not sure the gr.). I used a few federals and law men's today and could tell a difference in what little I shot. Again any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
What did the test target that came with the pistol look like?

If your groups at 15m are not at least that size, it is you, and not the pistol.

Many people suggest that the 99-series pistols have more recoil/flip than other polymer pistols their size. You may be anticipating recoil or over correcting.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Bullet weight can be very very important on a 40, more so than in 9mm, at least in my experince.

My former FNP-40 was like a laser with 180gr FMJ, but much less accurate with the 155~160 varieties.

All pistols, just like rifles, will have a load they like the best, though I'm thinking this is more of a need for more trigger time with a hand gun.

Keep after it. Generally the Walthers, across the board, are very accurate pistols.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the 180 grain FMJ in my P99. I find it to be more consistent than the 165 grain. I agree with all of the advice above with one more thing to add. When I first started shooting my P99, I also grouped low and left. Eventually, with a few thousand rounds of practice, I was just consistently low. I think the left was caused by my trigger pull technique and I eventually worked through it. To raise my point of impact, I ended up putting in a shorter sight. Now I punch out the middle of the target, so the low was caused by the front sight being too tall. I bought my gun used and it had the #4 front sight. The #3 turned out to be right on the money. I now have the Trijicons, and there was no change in my POI with these sights. The indoor range where I shoot is kind of dark and I find that follow up shots are easier with the bright green dot. I also have the # 3 front sight in my P22 and have very similar groupings with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts