Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a profound difference between these two weapons, but if any of you are experienced with both and can answer some questions for me, I would appreciate it.

1. One of the reasons I was drawn to the P226 was that the recoil is like a "pellet gun." How does the recoil compare with the P99?

2. SigArms and Sig fans boast that Sig is one of the most accurate pistols available. How would you compare the accuracy of the two? Are they equal at distances (25 yards)?

3. Many Sig owners get a trigger job to take out some of the extra slack. How does the trigger on a P99 AS compare to the Sig out of the box?

I have a P226 Equinox in 9mm that I am considering selling or trading in for a P99 AS in 9mm and would like to see what the general consensus is toward these questions. I have a P990 in .40, and while I enjoy the gun immensely, I want something that is DA/SA. No range anywhere close to here has a P99 in 9mm available to rent.

Thank you for your input!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have had both and sold the p226. I didn't find the recoil to be all that different, maybe a little less on the sig because its heavier.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm not a competition target shooter. I go to the range and fire 1 handed, 2 handed, and sometimes supported shots as practice for self defense. I can't advise you for a target gun, but for a practical defensive weapon they're peers.

The main problem that made me get rid of the sig and keep the walther was the trigger. The sig's DA pull is better than the walther's DA pull. The trigger reset is just absolutely terrible though. I find having a short trigger reset to be necessary for me to shoot fast, and the sig might as well have been a revolver. I also found that with a high thumbs forward hold I would usually interfere with the slide lock on the sig and the positioning seems to be better for me on the walther. It comes down to shooter's preference but while I could ooo and ahhh over the smooth DA pull of the sig, the walther was just a far match for how I like to shoot and what I try to accomplish by shooting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just trying to decide if I would rather get a $200 trigger job or just make the trade for the Walther. I do plan to get into some USPSA shooting for the experience of shooting under pressure and learning some new skills, but if the accuracy of the two are comparable, I may just want to stay with Walther.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What are you finding objectionable about the sig's trigger? Reset, da pull, sa pull? I'd also talk to some competition shooters but I suspect in that type of competition you and your skill with the shooting fundamentals will be the limiting factor to your performance more than your the difference in accuracy between a sig and walther.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have both in 9m/m so here is my two cents worth:

1. Recoil of the P99 and the P226 is best described as "different" rather than
"more or less". The Walther feels better balanced to me, and the thinner grip is easier to hold. The palm of my hand feels the recol impulse more with the Walther, the SIG feels more like a 2X4 and while comfortable is notably thicker.

2. Accuracy, Both pistols shoot better than I can hold.

3. Trigger Pull? I like the trigger on both pistols and couldn't complain about either one. They are quite different though. My P99 is a pre-2004, and I believe that is the same setup as the AS version. The long pull on my SIG is cleaner and smoother. but the trigger is further forward and a bit of a stretch to reach. There is take-up on both, both break clean. I prefer the reach of the Walther and the smoothess of the SIG. I would not spend $200 to monkey with the trigger action of a 226! As it it is fine for a service pistol - IMO you would be trying to change silver into gold, if you want a target pistol get a Colt Gold Cup - you want a service autoloader - keep the SIG!

The 226 is one of the nicest semi-autos made. It was born before polymer guns and prehaps suffers from being a bit bulky - but I would not sell a SIG and buy a Walther in the hope that one will prove better than the other. It comes down to personal preference and in order to make that decision you are going to have to shoot the P99!

I learned not to sell fine guns off. It seems I always ended up buying them again - and for a higher price! Keep the SIG, look for an opportunity to shoot a Walther. Put the cash you would spend on a SIG trigger job towards the purchase of a new Walther, it would be money better spent!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Now I don't own a Sig but have shot my fair share. I do own a few P99s and yes there is a world of difference. I would not sell one for the other unless money was really the object. I would do my best to obtain both. But I do shoot USPSA on a weekly basis and I really like my P99 for this venue. Personally I see little to none of any Sigs at our comps. I think maybe one 228 at last year?s State match. Why that is, I am not sure but that is the case around here. I personally think the 226 is a great side-arm from military applications but it is too much of a horse pistol for most usages. Besides you would be shooting it in the ?Production? class and I think it would be more of a handicap than an asset. Glocks do shine for a reason?simple, cheap, small package and a bunch of aftermarket goodies that makes shooting them in comp a snap. I really like using a P99 and while there are not as many holster set-ups as there are for Glocks, I have found more than enough to do the job. If you want to shoot USPSA and like Walthers than the P99 is the way to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know there is a profound difference between these two weapons, but if any of you are experienced with both and can answer some questions for me, I would appreciate it.

1. One of the reasons I was drawn to the P226 was that the recoil is like a "pellet gun." How does the recoil compare with the P99?

2. SigArms and Sig fans boast that Sig is one of the most accurate pistols available. How would you compare the accuracy of the two? Are they equal at distances (25 yards)?

3. Many Sig owners get a trigger job to take out some of the extra slack. How does the trigger on a P99 AS compare to the Sig out of the box?

I have a P226 Equinox in 9mm that I am considering selling or trading in for a P99 AS in 9mm and would like to see what the general consensus is toward these questions. I have a P990 in .40, and while I enjoy the gun immensely, I want something that is DA/SA. No range anywhere close to here has a P99 in 9mm available to rent.

Thank you for your input!!!
1. A little more on the SIG, but not much.

2. The first sentence is true as I owned a P239 and shot a P220 and P226. SIG has a slight edge in the accuracy department IMHO.

3. A SIG getting a trigger job? IMHO, SIG is one of the most accurate pistols out of the box. If a SIG needs a trigger job, then I think it's best to change the stock trigger for the shot trigger. The P99 is accurate out of the box, but SIG is a little better in that department.

I own a P99 because of its intangibles: lighter, a little lower recoil, adjustable backstrap, conceals better for the same mag capacity and more importantly, better price.

Regarding your SIG Equinox, don't trade it for a P99AS. That's a bad trade. Better off keeping it and save $$$ for the P99AS... or...
if you feel the need to have less guns at home, sell the SIG and with the $$$ you can buy the P99AS + ammo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Walther P99c and SiG P228

Hopefully these are close enough for you ;) . See my comments below:

1. Recoil. Both pistols have a higher bore axis and there is more muzzle flip than with a Beretta or Glock. The Walther is lighter than the SiG, and will flip higher. Honestly, I don't really notice, becasue the P99c comes back on target so quickly and naturally.

2. Accuracy. The Walther is simply amazing. This is a subcompact that can outshoot a full-size Beretta 92FS or SiG P228 at 25 yards. In the real world (i.e. self-defense), there isn't much difference. But knowing that my P99c is capable of 2-inch groups at 25 yards, even with cheapo range ammo--that's comforting.

3. AS Trigger. Next to the otherall ergonomics, this is the best thing about the P99 series. Very smooth double-action pull and a short, short, short trigger reset. The out-of-the-box SiG trigger is long, long, long. The new SiG Short Reset Trigger is supposed to be nice, but I would bet the Walther AS trigger is still the better of the two--and I love SiGs. FYI, the Beretta reset is very short as well, right out of the box.

Intangibles. The P99c AS is one of my carry pieces. In the summer it cannot be beat. It is light and the grip is small for good concealment. In the winter, when one can conceal a larger firearm (legally, of course), I prefer a compact Beretta or the P228. But I would not hesitate to carry the P99c all year if that was the only compact piece I owned. Being a SiG lover, I'd recommend keeping the P226 but still buying the P99!:D

ciadst

·
Registered
34 Posts
"IMO you would be trying to change silver into gold, if you want a target pistol get a Colt Gold Cup"

My P99 is more accurate than my Gold Cup.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been reading on GlockTalk (from Glock fan-boys, even) that bore axis is a meaningless trait made up by Glock as a marketing tactic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow...I posted this in 2007.

Let's just say that I have both now, and use both for USPSA equally. And I love both equally. Amongst other Sigs, Walthers, and Glocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A post back from the dead... Now that you have and shoot both, it would be interesting to hear your answers to your own questions. I also have both. P99 (1st Gen) is a little more snappy, but manageable and better than my G19 (P226 seems to absorb more recoil impulse); I shoot the P99 consistently more accurately, and it has a better (lighter, smoother, cleaner) trigger. P99 trigger reset is also much shorter. The trigger on the P226 either needs to be broken (a lot) in or needs some work, in my opinion. Trigger on a cheaper and much older P6 seems much smoother and more crisp. P99 and P226 are both keeper, but if I was going to buy another (and I might), it will be a P99.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
This thread is five years old??

Didn't even recognise my own post. These days I would take a Glock over the SIG or the P99.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts