Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a fair price for used but "like new" factory hi cap P99 9mm mags? I'm looking at buying a P99 and the seller has 6 hi caps for sale but we have not yet talked price for the extra mags. Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
i dont know why the P99 mags go for so much,ive seen them on avg. in the range of 45.00 -48.00!!.insane.i have 6 new ones now,now ill buy the SW99 mags for the range and use the genuine mags for carry and competition.:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Any opinions on these magazines? Are the Pro Ams worth having for occasional range use? I'm thinking of ordering the one with 30 round capacity. I don't know that I need the larger size, but they might make a good conversation piece.:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
For less than $10 more you'll get a magazine that will work. You'll find several posts on here from people who have tried promag to no success. That seems to apply for most guns actually.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For less than $10 more you'll get a magazine that will work. You'll find several posts on here from people who have tried promag to no success. That seems to apply for most guns actually.
That's all I need to know. I'm still sorting out the wheat from the chaff in this area. Ask me about good bbq pits and gas grills, I'll steer you to a great purchase. Firearms are my new hobby, so I'm still learning. I have several BBQ pits and make some great brisket, butts, and ribs. About 7 years ago I entered a local BBQ contest and won a 56" screen TV for first place. Still have the pit and the TV.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have several BBQ pits and make some great brisket,
Not to hijack this thread but you just don't find good brisket around my city...I traveled for cross-county for 6 years in the late 90?s and one thing for sure, I miss traveling through Texas and Oklahoma because I could always find some great brisket.

Yeah, stay away from Promag. You can find Walther or Smith mags and you will be glad that you did.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I agree about Mec-Gar being quality; however, the Walther P99 mag bodies have some ridges and such in them which seem to provide additional stiffness to the magazine, and the followers seems to move up and down more smoothly with less possibility of tilting than the S&W SW99 magazines.

Just an observation since I have several of both (in 9mm).

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
225 Posts
How many mags are enough to have for one gun. I just bought my P99 which came with 2 10 round magazines. I bought 3 15 round magazines. I would like to find at least one 30 round magazine. Do I need more?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I have a minimum of 5 for range guns...
mostly 7 mags per gun though... and 10 for my carry

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I agree about Mec-Gar being quality; however, the Walther P99 mag bodies have some ridges and such in them which seem to provide additional stiffness to the magazine, and the followers seems to move up and down more smoothly with less possibility of tilting than the S&W SW99 magazines.

Just an observation since I have several of both (in 9mm).

Regards,
Jeff
While I agree with you.. this only applies to the 15 round mags......
the original 16 round P99 mags did not have these ridges and the follower was without the "legs" too.... all these changes came with the 15 round mags
I still think the P99 mag finish is better than on the SW99 mags though

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are doing defense with the weapon. DO NOT SKIMP on the magazine. It's sort of like the tires on the car - even the engine - or the gas. Failure of those parts means you are not going anywhere..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Promag sucks
I would not buy promag as a general rule but I gotta say I picked 2 Promag AK clear mags for cheap and they have been flawless - seems to be the case with several folks on the various AK forums. I still use the Bulagarian mags mostly but the promags have yet to fail.

·
Registered
536 Posts
How many mags are enough to have for one gun. I just bought my P99 which came with 2 10 round magazines. I bought 3 15 round magazines. I would like to find at least one 30 round magazine. Do I need more?
You've got a fairly decent amount, to be honest. The only thing I'd say you DON'T need is a 30rd mag. I'd purchase two more 15's or three more 10's before i'd ever buy a 30.

IMHO it's long, unweildy, and kinda pointless... put your money into more useful mags.

thorn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone recommend where to buy factory/Mecgar 10 round 9mm mags other than WaltherAmerica? Hopefully cheaper than $45 a piece.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts