Walther Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Hard to see much of anything in those pictures. But okay, so it looks ragged, and Walther is slipping. But that is not your problem. The bullet nose doesn't go there.

Change your ammo.

M

P.S. Make friends with a farmer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Hey Zarz,

You will not be disappointed with a SW99. Mine is my very first pistol, and purchased new. It has had a lot of rounds down range, but it has never failed.

If it is a good price, I would snap it up.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I think that sounds fair, but value is in the eye of the beholder. The good thing is you can use Walther and/or Magnum Research magazines and recoil springs if it needs a little tune up. I personally would validate the decocker, as I prefer the AS style trigger. SW made a 990, which looks the same, but has a DAO trigger, and I do not recall if some variants of the SW99 were also DAO. Nothing wrong with DAO, just not my preference.

I just picked up my SW99 in 45 ACP, and it was perfect at the range on it's first trip. While there are no guarantees on a used pistol, it is a bargain if it is functional.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update, went outside the shop on lunch break and fired off 100rnds of WWB 124gr 9mm, absolutely no hiccups. It must have been user error, or bad ammo.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ya next I'm going to run a few boxes of Critical Duty through it. See how she does. Maybe some of these 147gr FMJ-FN I picked up as well. sadly the Critcal Duty is cheaper to shoot than FMJ I pick up locally

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gee, who would have guessed?

M

I'd like to thank all you guys for the diagnosis. It just started making me frustrated that it was messing up and assumed he was shooting it properly.

Makes you think twice about carrying something that has stoppages. So I'm glad it's been figured out. Most guys I know sell or trade in a gun at 2 stoppages, the others just keep shooting the snot out of them and handle the issue as it comes.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The ammo that was giving your buddy a problem....have you tried it in the p99 yourself? Results, if so?

sent via my Galaxy Tab 2 hotwired into a telecom satellite in space!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings,

I have 3 P99s. Two of them (BD date code, FBC serial numbers) have seen several years of use and a few thousand rounds each with not even the slightest hiccup. The third I picked up about a year ago and had been sitting in the box brand new until about a month ago (BI date code, FCT serial number).

The new one has been cleaned and lubed twice and now has about 400 rounds through it. No problems with a variety of brands of factory 124gr FMJ range ammo. The problem is that it chokes on hollow points, and has the most trouble with HST 124gr. The round won’t chamber completely, the slide will return almost but not quite to battery, and I have to give a good whack on the back of the slide with my palm to get it to go fully into battery after just about every round.

The first two? No issues at all with the exact same HST ammo from the same box on the same day using the same magazines.

I called Walther customer service the other day and the person I spoke with said two things. First, he said, some rounds are a bit longer than others and maybe that’s why it’s not chambering properly. Second, he said the later barrels are tighter, so sorry, that’s just the way it is, no use sending it in.

Does this ring true and make sense? It seems to me a service pistol should be able to shoot defensive ammo in general, and one of the more common rounds in service in particular, but I don’t know enough to know if I’m off base.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
There should be minimum specs - the specs to the chamber should be of a minimum size. I don't know the numbers, but maybe bring it to a smith and have them mesasure the chamber.

First, however - try a couple of other brands of ammo to see if they work

21 - 34 of 34 Posts