Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So 2 times now my P99 in about 200 rnds has failed to return to battery. It jams like 1/8-1/4 back, you can't rack the slide, mag is hard to drop. The only way to clear it is palm the back of the slide after dropping the mag. It will fire then. (I haven't tried to just rack it out, range master here acts you spilled mercury on the floor if it's not a empty casing) I notice the edge of the feed ramp is a little rough, like they machined it slightly uneven.

So what should I be looking at to correct this issue? call Walther and hope they say send it in? Is it still breaking in?

I'll get pics up after work.

*Edit*
This happened with a P99 mag and one from my PPQ M1.

·
Registered
375 Posts
What type of ammo are you having trouble with? If you can see rough spots on the feed ramp, might as well polish it smooth. Either call Walther customer service and try your luck or polish it yourself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been shooting Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ, have 200rnds through it (4 boxes).

And the ramp it's actually the edge isn't perfectly straight across. As if the went a little too deep and to the side machining it.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
A picture of the feedramp would be informative, but I wouldn't go about making any changes to the pistol until you figure out what the issue is.

Personally, I'd keep shooting it, preferably with different ammo, and preferably with hotter ammo, to see if that is the cause of the issue. It may be a strong recoil spring that needs to break in. It may be a strong extractor spring that needs to break in. It may be a weak ammo issue. It may be a weak grip issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Is the weapon under warranty? If so, do not do anything to the feed ramp or otherwise make any modifications.

The weapon has had 200 rounds to break in and has failed to do so. I certainly wouldn't expend too many more rounds hoping for the best, because it should be fully functioning way before this point, especially considering that you're using 124 grain ammunition.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Take a photo of it and we can compare with others. FMJ ball ammo should feed perfectly. Do you think the bullet is catching or the front edge of the casing?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a photo of it and we can compare with others. FMJ ball ammo should feed perfectly. Do you think the bullet is catching or the front edge of the casing?

That's my thought but the ejected casings looked fine. Both times I requested stall brooming so I could find the exact casing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the weapon under warranty? If so, do not do anything to the feed ramp or otherwise make any modifications.

The weapon has had 200 rounds to break in and has failed to do so. I certainly wouldn't expend too many more rounds hoping for the best, because it should be fully functioning way before this point, especially considering that you're using 124 grain ammunition.

Exactly what I was thinking. I purchased it 11-20ish-2013.

I really hope it's not going to require a barrel, because the replacement won't match and I paid $600 for an all numbers matching beautiful pistol. I know that sounds silly to some, but if my car had body work I'd also want the paint to match and the emblems, etc back the way they were.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I'd keep shooting it, preferably with different ammo, and preferably with hotter ammo, to see if that is the cause of the issue. It may be a strong recoil spring that needs to break in. It may be a strong extractor spring that needs to break in. It may be a weak ammo issue. It may be a weak grip issue.

All I have left in my ammo storage is some Speer lawman 115gr FMJ, Federal Champion 115gr FMJ, and a LOT of Hornady Critical Defense 135gr FTX standard pressure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I didn't realize this was still new and under warranty. Best bet is to identify the problem area, photograph it and email Walther Arms customer service followed by a phone call the next day to tell them to read your email.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Since it's definitely under warranty, I would snap some pics, email, and hope to the Walther God(s) that someone at Walther will read your message and have a good enough day to help you. If it bothers you so bad to get matching serial numbers, let them know before hand and see what they can do. A gun with matching serials that doesn't work is worthless. Maybe you can even talk them into etching a new barrel with the same serial if need be.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Being that the malfunctions are only occurring once every 100 or so rounds, I'd be hesitant to send it in just yet, unless Walther fires at least 100 rounds out of every pistol sent in for service, which I personally doubt.

Both of the malfunctions happened with the same brand of ammo, so I'd suggest trying a different brand of ammo first. Maybe this lot of ammo was loaded weak for some reason. Maybe your recoil spring is a bit on the strong side from the factory. Maybe your extractor spring is.

How much experience do you have with pistols ZarZ? If not much, this could be a grip issue as well, especially if only a few hundred rounds have been fired through the pistol so far.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If the cartridge is most of the way into the chamber before the gun stops, it's unlikely that the feed ramp has anything to do with your problem.

Scrub out the chamber by twirling a bronze brush in there, and thoroughly clean all the crevasses around the breech face, particularly under the extractor hook. Make sure the extractor pivots freely.

Than change ammo, and keep a log.

I'd also find someplace else to shoot. Many stoppages cannot be cleared without dumping a live round.

M

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much experience do you have with pistols ZarZ? If not much, this could be a grip issue as well, especially if only a few hundred rounds have been fired through the pistol so far.

That slipped my mind, but both stoppages actually occurred when my buddy was firing, I just took over to clear it. I would assume the grip was fine since he has a lot of firearm training as a LEO. He **** more rounds threw the PPQ, same ammo without any issue. These two outings were his only time shooting 9mm, as Michigan LEOs only use .40 I heard.

As far as my grip I have a pretty firm grip on it because I am a little guy since health issues. Don't want the recoil to trump my grip. And also I can punch out the center of the target better than him oddly. So perhaps his grip is the problem. Because wouldn't weak grip show in an accuracy drop?

Pic still coming, just worked 20hr shift, most of it in the snow storm so I been defrosting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the cartridge is most of the way into the chamber before the gun stops, it's unlikely that the feed ramp has anything to do with your problem.
M

Ya it's loading almost all the way, it stops roughly were a new Walther stops if you ride the slide in the gun store.

As far as the range, they don't penalize you for clearing a live round. The range master screams cease fire, makes the whole range wait while he "disposes" of the rnd. They also have one of those steel firing boxes bolted to the floor you stick the muzzle in to discharge funky rounds.

The other range in town has no range master, a lot of new shooters doing stupid stuff like walking around with locked and loaded pistols and POOR finger discipline. Two or three people have rented firearms there and committed suicide there. I view that place as a war zone. But I do buy most my firearms there, great service and prices.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
That slipped my mind, but both stoppages actually occurred when my buddy was firing, I just took over to clear it.
Bingo. We may have just found the problem . . . user error. I don't care how much experience your buddy has — if he's unfamiliar with the weapon, the weapon's control placements, and the positioning of the slide in relation to his grip, then there's a multitude of things he could be doing to induce such a failure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wasn't until balance asked about my grip twice I realized it wasn't my grip either day. I work too much, mind is on that, can't believe I didn't think of that.

Also Universal, I seen your pic of a SW99 next to a P99c, then yesterday I seen a used SW99c in .40. What's your opinion on the ergo differences? I want a 99c in 9mm but this SW99c is fairly priced. Might hold me over.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
The control placements on the SW99 are nearly identical to the first generation P99 (including the short paddle magazine release, unfortunately), but I'm pretty sure the grip on the .45 SW99 is probably larger than the grip on the 9mm or .40 S&W versions of either the P99 or even the SW99 in those calibers because of the need to fit into the well a double-stack .45 ACP magazine. I did some grip measurements for the guys here on the forum once, and I seem to recall that the circumference was pretty close to the .45 versions of the Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS and the FNX-45.

Just looked up that post. It's at this link.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts