Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I got a "wild hair" and won a Gunbroker auction for a P99AS slide, barrel and other assorted parts from one of those "gun-buster" outfits. At this point, I don't own a P99 or a 40S&W (other than a Glock 22), other than a Magnum Research MR9. Anyone here have thoughts on what I kind of mischief that I can get into with this thing?:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
The only place I can think of that may sell you a frame, would be Earl from ERS.

I would not use a .40 slide and barrel on a 9mm frame unless the sear housing was replaced, due to the different ejector, so make sure you specify for a .40 sear housing wherever you purchase the frame. The 9mm ejector will sit closer to the center of a .40 cartridge, where the primer is, and may cause a safety issue when ejecting live rounds if for some reason the extractor loses hold of the cartridge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only place I can think of that may sell you a frame, would be Earl from ERS.

I would not use a .40 slide and barrel on a 9mm frame unless the sear housing was replaced, due to the different ejector, so make sure you specify for a .40 sear housing wherever you purchase the frame.
I knew that the ejector would be different. So, the actual frame is the same, but the internal parts are specific to the caliber? I know that some models will interchange. There's a Youtube guy who swapped a Canik slide onto a Walther. I haven't done any of that though.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I just finished editing my post to add more information in regards to a possible safety issue.

So, the actual frame is the same, but the internal parts are specific to the caliber?
Everything is the same except for the sear housing.

I know that some models will interchange. There's a Youtube guy who swapped a Canik slide onto a Walther. I haven't done any of that though.
That could be a bad idea due to what I mentioned above.

Most people "in the know" would recommend that people not put their hands/fingers over the ejection port when loading or ejecting live rounds. You should never try to "catch" a live cartridge out of an ejection port. The reason why, is that if for some reason the extractor loses hold of the cartridge, it is possible that the primer can impact the ejector in a way to set it off. That has happened on stock pistols with properly designed ejectors, so I would not recommend using the wrong ejector that is closer to the primer, on a pistol like a 99-series pistol with its massive external extractor.

It may happen the very first time a live round is ejected, or it may never happen in your lifetime. All I'm saying is that I'd advise against this.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It looks like the auction I won comes with the sear housing complete with the ejector, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
View attachment 104295
Haha congrats. I was watching that bid and debating on bidding myself. It's a good kit to have in case you manage to find the Barsto 357 Sig Barrel. Either way you did fine! I bought the USP tactical parts kit from the same seller instead.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha congrats. I was watching that bid and debating on bidding myself. It's a good kit to have in case you manage to find the Barsto 357 Sig Barrel. Either way you did fine! I bought the USP tactical parts kit from the same seller instead.
Thanks! Congrats to you as well; a USP kit, that sounds like an expensive build! I will be on the lookout for a 357 Sig barrel, but I'm thinking along the lines of having the barrel relined for 22TCM, although that's really a better fit for a 9mm barrel with a chamber that's already close to the 223 base.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's from one of the "gunbuster" outfits that I believe are contracted to destroy the gun. In most cases, that'd be the frame. I was actually looking at a few different things from this vendor and they were all missing the frame of the gun. This particular one is out of Bangor Maine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard to fight off people who sell off parts on eBay on these auctions. I saw a P99 40S&W barrel that was selling for $190 on eBay which is pretty close to what I paid for the lot!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's from one of the "gunbuster" outfits that I believe are contracted to destroy the gun. In most cases, that'd be the frame. I was actually looking at a few different things from this vendor and they were all missing the frame of the gun. This particular one is out of Bangor Maine.
There are about 5-6 Gunbuster outfits who sell on Gunbroker. Honestly, they come across some oddball items. I bought a P99 9mm kit from them before (still for sale btw, shameless plug). I also got my P88 Parts kit from them too. They had a SPAS-12 kit as well that sold for a whopping $3000 too.

I believe their MI location has the largest inventory, or at least the most interesting inventory.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are about 5-6 Gunbuster outfits who sell on Gunbroker. Honestly, they come across some oddball items. I bought a P99 9mm kit from them before (still for sale btw, shameless plug). I also got my P88 Parts kit from them too. They had a SPAS-12 kit as well that sold for a whopping $3000 too.

I believe their MI location has the largest inventory, or at least the most interesting inventory.
I always try to look at their inventory whenever I'm on GB. It's just interesting stuff that fires the imagination of what could be done. With the rise of 3D printing, buying up these kits has become more popular. I recently saw an article on a buy who has come up with a P99 style lower frame that takes Glock parts...... interesting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The slide and parts came from Gunbuster today and it's kind of interesting:
Hood Bumper Wood Line Automotive exterior

I realized that my Magnum Research is really a P99, so I put it on the MR9 frame and this is what it looks like:
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

So, I guess it's a P9 or MR99, it seems to function correctly. Of course, it would need to have the sear housing or ejector switched, and a 40S&W mag, but it seems to fit fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts