1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:

Why is it that most people preferr the Walther P99 AS in 9mm than the
40 S&W?

I own one in 9mm and I am thinking in getting one in 40 S&W, but I was wondering why the preference of the 9mm over the 40S&W. (leaving the fact that 9mm ammo is cheaper). Do they feel different???

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've shot a Glock 23 (.40, same size as G19 9mm) and didn't like it. After a box of ammo, my hand was killing me. Another range trip, tried a full-sized Smith M&P .40. It was less brutal on the hand... it wasn't comfort per se, but more comfortable.

Still, i didn't find my performance to be any better than with 9mm and followups were harder. The gun was also harder to control for me.

So after those 2 guns, i decided .40 just isn't for me right now. I'd wanted a P99 in 9mm for a long time, and when the time came to purchase it i didn't even consider the P99 in .40.

thorn

·
Registered
358 Posts
Because as much as people hold on to the idea bigger is beter, the science dictates that 40 and 45 are equal to or minutely better rounds then 9mm when it comes to killing. That said the 45 has a bit better hollow point retention when coming in contact wit barriers (hard objectsetc, but tend to plug the hole up through fabrics more).

Basically I think most people on this forum are a bit more educated shooters then just users.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have two 40 caliber P99's and one 9 MM P99. I bought the 9 MM first. Reading on the web prior to my first purchase, I had read that the 9 MM was just a hair more accurate than the 40 S&W. Also many perceive that the 40 S&W has more recoil and therefore causes problems with trigger control (flinching), slower follow up shot speeds and decreased enjoyment of shooting. The 9 MM is a ballistically more efficient cartridge that is flatter shooting than the 40 S&W. It is cheaper per round to shoot 9 MM vs most other handgun cartridges.

My experience is that I shoot the 40 S&W a hair better than the 40 S&W.
Therefore, after having one of each caliber (both 1st generation Titanium models) I bought a 2nd generation all black P99 for carry. I could have bought 9 MM for carry but chose the 40 S&W because in the P99 I shoot it better. That being said, I shoot my $1000 1911 in 45 ACP better than an of my P99's but I suspect that the P99 is still more accurate than I am, I just have not learned the gun well enough to shoot it to its maximum potential.

There is no problem with the 40 caliber P99. Glocks had some 40 S&W problems, but the P99 runs just fine. No chamber support issues.

Do not let all the 9 MM vs 40 caliber "battle" get you confused. The FBI, secret service, along with most police departments use 40 S&W. They could use 9 MM, but they choose to use 40 caliber. If you want a 40 S&W buy one. There is nothing wrong with the 9 MM just as there is nothing wrong with 40 S&W. There is certainly no need to disparage one round to bolster the other. They are different and each have their place.

I have no interest in whichever caliber you get. Just providing my experience. My gun is no less reliable, no less accurate in my hands, just because someone on a forum informs me that there "cartridge X" is superior for this or that reason. Information is useful, it helps us more informed, and presumably better decisions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
9mm vs .40 S&W is almost a holy war starting question...

If fed a decent hollow point , a 9mm should provide you all the "stopping power" you need without resorting to a bigger bullet ie .40 S&W.

9mm is generally less expensive to buy, therefore you will be able to have more practice for the money than with a .40 S&W.

With that said, my P99 is .40 S&W because I believe that the bigger bullet gives me a greater chance at stopping any bad guys with fewer shots fired.

I also have a 9mm Browning High Power and 9mm CZ 75 P01, so I'm not disinclined to trust a 9mm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Simply put-

1.) 40S&W has alot of muzzle flip, especially in ANY lighter weight polymer framed pistol.

2.) ammo is alot more expensive than 9mm

I have a P99 in .40 which I like, but would rather have an all steel pistol
which would control the flip much better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
40 / 9 ..........

I think you'll find that there are more 9mm pistols that .40 in all brands not just the P99.
I bought the P99 in .40 more to keep my ammo needs simple. I have other .40 pistols and buy ammo in bulk. The .40 doesn't kick that much more, cost that much more, or have that much more muzzle energy. It's just a personal preference thing.

chris

·
Registered
910 Posts
Because as much as people hold on to the idea bigger is beter, the science dictates that 40 and 45 are equal to or minutely better rounds then 9mm when it comes to killing. That said the 45 has a bit better hollow point retention when coming in contact wit barriers (hard objectsetc, but tend to plug the hole up through fabrics more).

Basically I think most people on this forum are a bit more educated shooters then just users.
No offense but I think that's somewhat presumptuous on your part and there are a multitude of variables that need to factored into the discussion. I shoot and CARRY .40 SW and I shoot and CARRY 9mm. I range shoot .40SW because I reload and therefore not only is it relatively inexpensive to shoot and I have a wide latitude in developing different loads - from light to heavy.

I have no desire to start another tired old 9mm vs. .40SW debate but I raise an eyebrow every time I read opinions (or generalizations) clothed as facts. One fact is that there are shooters who simply prefer a heavier recoil round, to them it's just plain more fun to shoot. Secondly, due to the increased cost of ammo, more and more folks are gravitating toward the 9mm. Still today, the .40SW remains one of the most popular big bore cartridges. It is a proven and effective round and has been widely accepted by LE.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The .40 has a snappy recoil, which does not work well with a polymer framed gun. The Glock 23 is the most uncomfortable pistol I've ever fired, that includes .44 Magnum revolvers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The .40 has a snappy recoil, which does not work well with a polymer framed gun. The Glock 23 is the most uncomfortable pistol I've ever fired, that includes .44 Magnum revolvers.
:eek: Huh? It may be for you (though I never heard anybody say that in connection with the G23) but it continues to be one of Glock's most popular models along with the G19 and G17 and has been since its introduction.

"...does not work well with a polymer framed gun?" One of the major attributes of polymer is that it flexes. This serves to reduce felt recoil not add to it when compared to alloy frame semi autos. The only thing I don't like about the G23 (I have one) and this applies to all Glocks, is the grip angle. Otherwise, the G23 is an excellent gun and all semi autos should be this reliable.

As with any gun, with practice (including proper grip technique) comes proficiency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is your opinion and I respect that. I owned a Glock 23 and I will agree that it has quite a snappy recoil, but I owned the Ruger RedHawk Alaskan in 44 Magnum and it did kick more (slower snap then the Glock 23). Any pistol takes practice to shoot it, especially the bigger caliber pistol rounds that kick more. The only issue that Glock has had with their .40 S&W caliber pistols is the unexplained "Kabooms" in quite a few cases. Personally, I have never seen a Glock blow up, but have seen the end results (pictures, etc.). The 40 is a good round, but I figured why go with a .40 S&W (AKA "Slow and Weak") when I can have a Glock 29 in 10mm?

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

·
Registered
910 Posts
+1 Ronin, and from what I've determined the majority of those "kabooms" of which considering how many Glocks have been sold, is the exception rather than the rule, have been attributable to high pressure or otherwise improperly loaded reloads. True, the Glock's unsupported chamber and non-conventional rifling (which does not lend itself to lead bullets) do not help but the "Kaboom" thing is anything but the norm. Stick to quality factory ammo or your own proven reloads in your Glock (any Glock) and you have a better chance of getting hit by a truck in downtown Cleveland.

I really do believe that there is a segment of shooters who ARE truly recoil challenged to the point where even the 9mm is too much. Proficiency only comes with shooting a lot and if the .40 is too much for the individual, he/she is not going to shoot a lot. Short story made long, despite those who moan about the "snappiness" of the .40SW, it remains one of the most popular calibers.

I remind readers that much of what you read in gun forums is subjective and based on personal preferences, and all too often not on hard core facts. Decide what's best for you and run with it. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Disregard any and all "feedback" given here about which round is better... choose for YOURSELF! Everything you can ask in the argument is subjective, it all comes down to personal preference. They are both proven pistol rounds with plenty of killing force so try both and go with the one that YOU want. Asking which is better is ridiculous, they both can easily kill any target you aim at.

With that said, I believe most people's choices on 9MM vs .40S&W comes down to the cost of ammo... there are no scientific results for that of course but money rules the world and if someone can get two deadly weapons that are nearly identical in every way only one is cheaper, which would they choose? I think it is safe to assume that a small majority would go with the cheaper of the two... it's human nature.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just to point out several police departments have had boxed ammo of several companies blow up Glocks, and if you look at the difference in gap you will see why. I agree most are from idiots reloading malfunctions, but the chance of firearm failure seems to be greater with the 40 then any other caliber.

I own a 40 caliber Walther, and have no issue with the round, I do however have issue with the belief "bigger must be better."

Choices are fine, but in all seriousness I see more people with more education in firearms either ending up on the 9mm or 45 then 40. The general answer I get is either old habits with X caliber, or a very educated and science based answer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
LOL. Just hit the d--n target and don't worry about it.

I don't know Inferno, I'd like to think I have some "education in firearms" and I happen to like the .40 SW just fine. "Science based answer?" Either the bad guy drops when you hit center of mass or he doesn't. I like the 9mm just fine but all things being equal, I'd still rather score a hit with a .40SW than a 9mm. Am I in denial? WTF knows. :)

Happy New Year. An old debate and I'm just making it older.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're asking a question that none of us can answer.... for you.

Go rent a couple of Polymer framed handguns. Shoot 9mm, shoot .40 S&W. If you can shoot the .40 S&W with good accuracy and the recoil does not bother you there is no reason you shouldn't get a P99 in .40 S&W.

I shoot .40 S&W all the time, big guns, small guns. After you become used to it it's not much of a factor. When I shoot 9mm, it feels like a .22 to me.

Shoot whatever YOU shoot best.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
For me it's a matter of tradition. Walther never produced a .40S&W until the P99.

I don't know how popular the .40S&W is in Germany, but it's not popular with me chambered in a Walther.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've shot a Glock 23 (.40, same size as G19 9mm) and didn't like it. After a box of ammo, my hand was killing me. Another range trip, tried a full-sized Smith M&P .40. It was less brutal on the hand... it wasn't comfort per se, but more comfortable.
Hey Thorn,

Have you ever tried a P99 AS in .40? I am exactly like you in that I really can't stand the recoil of the glock 23. It seems sharp and... well... "jagged" if that isn't too much of a subjective description. However, my P99 .40 is incredibly smooth and managable and feels only a little stronger then my 9mm. If you ever get the chance to try the P99 AS .40, jump on it. I think you will enjoy it far more then a G23. Obviously, this sort of thing is subjective, but from that "AS demonstration/explanation" video you posted, you look like you have the same size and frame type hands that I have, so it is worth a try.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would agree with what others have said. If you have other firearms in 40 and are comfortable with the caliber, or if you feel that you are not recoil sensitive, you would probably enjoy the 40. I have one, and would say that the recoil is definitely more pronounced than any 9mm I've shot. However, the recoil is not bad at all. It is somewhat snappy, but I have no problems firing 200 rounds or more in a range session with no discomfort.

Actually, I find that I am much more sensitive to blast than recoil. 40's in general aren't bad for blast. Now magnum revolvers on the other hand...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll be honest the .40 P99 does have a little kick to it, but if you've ever shot a .45 with accuracy you'll have no problem taming the .40... there is a lot more "snap" to a .40 than a 9mm but it is easily controllable. As mentioned many times above, test and/or rent a .40 and 9mm at the range and see which one you like the best. I actually enjoy the .40 more because I tend to take more time and be more conservative with the rounds when I am at the range. Far too often with 9mm rounds I'd just reload and shoot away, but with the extra snap of the .40 and the extra cost (about $2.50 more for a 50 round box) I make sure to get the most out of my rounds and find myself working on my mechanics and form much more with a .40.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts